is it possible to add wi-fi to the curve thru a software
    08-24-09 07:01 PM
    is it possible to add wi-fi to the curve thru a software
    No, you surely cannot. WiFi requires hardware to be present in the device.
    08-24-09 07:03 PM
    I never appreciated the potential value of UMA until I actually started using it when I picked up my Blackberry 8900 the week it was released in T-Mobile stores. My T-Mobile signal is incredible weak at home, and I'm lucky to connect at GPRS speeds. With UMA, I get spectacular speed, great web browsing, and the ability to use the phone anywhere in my house. The problem is that, while UMA has great potential, I've found that it's been less than perfectly stable. For the most part over the last several months, I can be connected over UMA for hours, send and receive email and text, watch my weather updates come in, and make calls. But...it seems that voice calls always created problems in the system, as the calls would abruptly drop typically after the first few minutes. I would also see the connection in the phone mysteriously drift from UMA to uma to GPRS to gprs when I was having trouble -- and this was when I was sitting in the same room as the WiFi router. Well...it appears that the changes I made last night have finally got this working beautifully...

I picked up the info on various other sites (I must have read hundreds of posts before finally settling on these choices). Some credit Linksys with having shared this info, some T-Mobile, and some claim to have discovered the settings themselves. I'm not sure about the origin, but I can report exceedingly good results. With the settings described below, I've been able to do everything over UMA that I normally do -- email, SMS, MMS, fast web browsing, weather updates, Viigo, etc. -- and now I can also make phone calls without fear of them cutting out suddenly after a few minutes. Today, I made a few calls, including one for 35 minutes and one for 42 minutes. Sound quality was like a corded phone, and the connection was rock solid.

My setup:

Verizon FIOS fiber ---> ONT (fiber to copper) --> Actiontec Router (FIOS support) --> Linksys WRTU54G-TM router (T-Mobile@Home support)

The Actiontec has a couple of layer 2 switches plugged into it and 5 PC's hung off the switches. I have turned OFF the WiFi section of this router.

The Linksys WRTU54G-TM supports my T-Mobile@Home VoIP (UMA actually) service, replacing my old corded phones. I also have WiFi turned on in this device. This is what I use to support WiFi connection to my laptops and my Blackberry 8900.

Linksys WRTU54G-TM settings:

Setup pages -- pretty much vanilla, except that I restrict the DHCP auto-assignment range to leave a few available for static IP's for my printer, NAS drive and a couple of other devices. Nothing special here.

Wireless Page -
    - Basic Wireless Settings:
    --- Wireless network mode -- G only
    --- Wireless Channel -- 6 (although this shouldn't matter -- choose one with least interference in the vicinity)
    --- Wireless SSID broadcast -- enabled

- Wireless Security
    --- Security Mode -- WPA2 Personal
    --- WPA Algorithms -- TKIP/AES

- Advanced Wireless Settings
    ..[only listing non-default settings here]..
    --- Beacon Interval -- 50 (default is 100)
    --- Fragmentation Threshold -- 2304 (default is 2346)
    --- RTS Threshold -- 2304 (default is 2307)

- Applications & Gaming
    -- QoS tab
    --- Wireless QoS section
    ---- WMM Support -- Enabled

Actiontec settings: only thing unique here is that I set up QoS rules to prioritize traffic to the Linksys WRTU54G-TM (priority level 6).

That's it. With these settings, UMA has for the first time become totally solid and dependable. I have the routers in my basement office, and have a strong signal throughout the entire house on my 8900. I can stroll all around the house and have crystal clear phone calls that do NOT disconnect.
    Hey vinmontRD, great informative tweaks you got up there. I understand that those settings are for a linksys router, but do you think that those settings (particularly the beacon interval and threshold values) would work fine on a different brand of router? I'm running a D-Link dir-615 for my curve 8900 on 4.6.1.231 on Tmo.
    08-24-09 10:20 PM
    ok i read through the guide but i still have a problem. when i go to the browser and try to go on a website it gives me a message saying unable to find the requested server. i just got this phone which is a 8520
    08-25-09 04:44 AM
    Hey vinmontRD, great informative tweaks you got up there. I understand that those settings are for a linksys router, but do you think that those settings (particularly the beacon interval and threshold values) would work fine on a different brand of router? I'm running a D-Link dir-615 for my curve 8900 on 4.6.1.231 on Tmo.
    The settings should do essentially the same thing on any access point and have the same effect on the Blackberry's ability to maintain a good connection to it. "Beacon interval", for example, determines the frequency with which beacons are sent out, and that should work the same from brand to brand. Beacons contain information such as:
    - beacon interval -- especially important for "power save mode", so the various wireless stations know how long to "sleep" and when to wake up to receive the next beacon and any buffered frames.

- Timestamp - keeps all devices on the WLAN in sync

- SSID

- list of wireless rates that the current WLAN supports

- parameter sets -- a bit more complex info, describing signaling methods the WLAN is using, e.g., various types of spread spectrum, frequency hopping parameters, etc.

- capability info -- includes info on WLAN membership requirements, such as security and encryption being used in the network (e.g., WEP, WPA2, etc).

- traffic indication map -- info that indicates which wireless stations have buffered data frames waiting for them when they wake up from power save mode

This is essentially handled the same way from brand to brand, dictated by standards.

Shortening the beacon interval means that you're asking the router / access point to send out beacons a bit more frequently. This increases the traffic on the WLAN that isn't specific to your data requests, and may have a slight impact on network throughput. It also will tell your Blackberry to "wake up" from power save mode a bit more frequently, which could conceivably reduce power save mode benefits.

On the positive side, though, this helps prevent your Blackberry from attempting to jump to another signal: WiFi devices typically scan the spectrum looking for alternate signals in the event that the current connection becomes too weak to sustain communications. Despite having an optional setting to allow wireless hand-offs, Blackberry's seem to be overly sensitive to this kind of event. A reduced interval will, effectively, help to keep your Blackberry focused on your intended connection. It's a trade-off, in theory, but I have seen no downside so far.

Fragmentation Threshold -

This determines the maximum data frame size that can be transmitted as a whole, without being broken up (fragmented) into smaller frames. As with other settings, there's a trade-off here. Setting it smaller will cause more frames to be transmitted, and each carries some overhead -- so from one perspective it would appear that a smaller threshold reduces network efficiency and throughput. HOWEVER, in networks with the max size allowed, there's a higher probability of frame collision and connectivity issues. So: too small a threshold kills network throughput, but too high results in a lot of collisions and an unstable network. A number of people, testing this over the last couple of years, seem to have found that specifying the threshold I describe makes the WiFi connection more stable.

Finally -- RTS ("request to send") Threshold is yet another one of these "trade off" parameters. RTS and CTS ("clear to send") packets somewhat analogous to flags that say, "I want to send data" and "OK - go ahead". They incur a certain amount of overhead, so you don't want to arbitrarily send too many. But -- in short -- the more RTS packets that are sent, the faster the system can recover from collisions or interference. This can dramatically improve connection stability in a wireless environment that suffers from noise and/or interference.

So -- a long answer to your short question! In the end, I don't think the router brand will make much difference -- tweaking these settings should provide similar improvement with your Blackberry, and the converse holds as well: if the settings on a Linksys don't make a noticeable difference in your particular situation, I doubt they'd make a difference when you use another router / access point either.

I suggest you save your current settings, and try these alternates to see if that improves your connection. You can always fall back to the current settings if you have any issues (but you shouldn't).
    08-25-09 08:54 AM
    Hi, I'm new to this I have a 8350i boostberry and can't get it to stay connected to wi-fi hotspots. On one connection attempt it said something about a hexidecimal code what's that all about.

Thanks ahead of time
    08-25-09 07:31 PM
    The settings should do essentially the same thing on any access point and have the same effect on the Blackberry's ability to maintain a good connection to it. "Beacon interval", for example, determines the frequency with which beacons are sent out, and that should work the same from brand to brand. Beacons contain information such as:
    - beacon interval -- especially important for "power save mode", so the various wireless stations know how long to "sleep" and when to wake up to receive the next beacon and any buffered frames.

- Timestamp - keeps all devices on the WLAN in sync

- SSID

- list of wireless rates that the current WLAN supports

- parameter sets -- a bit more complex info, describing signaling methods the WLAN is using, e.g., various types of spread spectrum, frequency hopping parameters, etc.

- capability info -- includes info on WLAN membership requirements, such as security and encryption being used in the network (e.g., WEP, WPA2, etc).

- traffic indication map -- info that indicates which wireless stations have buffered data frames waiting for them when they wake up from power save mode

This is essentially handled the same way from brand to brand, dictated by standards.

Shortening the beacon interval means that you're asking the router / access point to send out beacons a bit more frequently. This increases the traffic on the WLAN that isn't specific to your data requests, and may have a slight impact on network throughput. It also will tell your Blackberry to "wake up" from power save mode a bit more frequently, which could conceivably reduce power save mode benefits.

On the positive side, though, this helps prevent your Blackberry from attempting to jump to another signal: WiFi devices typically scan the spectrum looking for alternate signals in the event that the current connection becomes too weak to sustain communications. Despite having an optional setting to allow wireless hand-offs, Blackberry's seem to be overly sensitive to this kind of event. A reduced interval will, effectively, help to keep your Blackberry focused on your intended connection. It's a trade-off, in theory, but I have seen no downside so far.

Fragmentation Threshold -

This determines the maximum data frame size that can be transmitted as a whole, without being broken up (fragmented) into smaller frames. As with other settings, there's a trade-off here. Setting it smaller will cause more frames to be transmitted, and each carries some overhead -- so from one perspective it would appear that a smaller threshold reduces network efficiency and throughput. HOWEVER, in networks with the max size allowed, there's a higher probability of frame collision and connectivity issues. So: too small a threshold kills network throughput, but too high results in a lot of collisions and an unstable network. A number of people, testing this over the last couple of years, seem to have found that specifying the threshold I describe makes the WiFi connection more stable.

Finally -- RTS ("request to send") Threshold is yet another one of these "trade off" parameters. RTS and CTS ("clear to send") packets somewhat analogous to flags that say, "I want to send data" and "OK - go ahead". They incur a certain amount of overhead, so you don't want to arbitrarily send too many. But -- in short -- the more RTS packets that are sent, the faster the system can recover from collisions or interference. This can dramatically improve connection stability in a wireless environment that suffers from noise and/or interference.

So -- a long answer to your short question! In the end, I don't think the router brand will make much difference -- tweaking these settings should provide similar improvement with your Blackberry, and the converse holds as well: if the settings on a Linksys don't make a noticeable difference in your particular situation, I doubt they'd make a difference when you use another router / access point either.

I suggest you save your current settings, and try these alternates to see if that improves your connection. You can always fall back to the current settings if you have any issues (but you shouldn't).
    If that isn't a thorough answer to one's question, then I don't know what is, lol. I applied those settings to my router last night but there wasn't much difference in my connection. UMA calls would still sporadically drop after 3 minutes, OR I would be able to hold the call alrite for more than 40 minutes. I tried tweaking the beacon interval to 30 and then to 80, with no help. Ever since I got home today from work the wifi diagnostics on my bb have said that the "DHCP server is unreachable," even after power cycling on all my devices! What kills me is that my UMA was working just peachy for like 5 months and now all of a sudden it starts to act up. I'm hoping some kind of miracle firmware update gets pushed out, or that the release date of the 9700 is announced to be tomorrow, lol. It's so frustrating tinkering around with all the settings!

Sorry, I had to get that out there, but I do thank you very much for your very informative and helpful reply. I can tell that you sure do know your stuff on this matter and hopefully you would be able to shed some light as to what is going on with my gosh darn 8900.
    08-25-09 09:25 PM
    If that isn't a thorough answer to one's question, then I don't know what is, lol. I applied those settings to my router last night but there wasn't much difference in my connection. UMA calls would still sporadically drop after 3 minutes, OR I would be able to hold the call alrite for more than 40 minutes. I tried tweaking the beacon interval to 30 and then to 80, with no help. Ever since I got home today from work the wifi diagnostics on my bb have said that the "DHCP server is unreachable," even after power cycling on all my devices! What kills me is that my UMA was working just peachy for like 5 months and now all of a sudden it starts to act up. I'm hoping some kind of miracle firmware update gets pushed out, or that the release date of the 9700 is announced to be tomorrow, lol. It's so frustrating tinkering around with all the settings!

Sorry, I had to get that out there, but I do thank you very much for your very informative and helpful reply. I can tell that you sure do know your stuff on this matter and hopefully you would be able to shed some light as to what is going on with my gosh darn 8900.
    Have you tried other WiFi devices with your WLAN? If so -- do they pick up DHCP-assigned IP addresses properly? Try editing your Wi-Fi profile in the Blackberry for your router / access point (Manage Connections / Wi-Fi Options -- scroll down to your profile, press Menu and select Edit). Is the box next to "Automatically optain IP address and DNS" checked? (is should be, unless you want to assign an IP address, default gateway and DNS server manually -- all of which is allowable if you want to bypass DHCP -- just more work, and not dynamic).

Also: have you tried Wi-Fi Diagnostics in the Blackberry? If so, what do you see on that page?
    08-25-09 09:33 PM
    Yes I have, my brother's ipod touch connects just fine and is able to pick up a DHCP IP address no problem. As for my blackberry settings, the "automatically obtain IP address and DNS" was checked. I'm not sure what values to enter if I were to put all the values in manually... you're right, more work! I frequently check Wi-Fi diagnostics and find that when it's not saying "DHCP server is unreachable" under the status for Wi-Fi, it says "Associating with network..." As for my UMA settings:

Connection Pref: Wi-Fi preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Red X
    Connection: Empty box
    Error code: W002

Regarding my other settings; VPN is disabled and I have nothing marked under Blackberry Infrastructure. I have tried reserving a DHCP address on my d-link router for my blackberry so that it tries to connect to a distinct IP address, but have found no improvement either.
    08-25-09 10:07 PM
    Yes I have, my brother's ipod touch connects just fine and is able to pick up a DHCP IP address no problem. As for my blackberry settings, the "automatically obtain IP address and DNS" was checked. I'm not sure what values to enter if I were to put all the values in manually... you're right, more work! I frequently check Wi-Fi diagnostics and find that when it's not saying "DHCP server is unreachable" under the status for Wi-Fi, it says "Associating with network..." As for my UMA settings:

Connection Pref: Wi-Fi preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Red X
    Connection: Empty box
    Error code: W002

Regarding my other settings; VPN is disabled and I have nothing marked under Blackberry Infrastructure. I have tried reserving a DHCP address on my d-link router for my blackberry so that it tries to connect to a distinct IP address, but have found no improvement either.
    OK, the official description for a W002 error is, specifically, that the phone was unable to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server (no surprise there!). The suggestions that follow are:

1. If WEP encryption is in use, check that the key configured on the router matches the key entered on the phone.

2. DHCP may be disabled on the wireless router and there is no other DHCP server on the network. Make sure that the option of DHCP is set to enable on the wireless router.

3. DHCP pool may be exhausted - Need to increase the range of the DHCP server. If the number of devices currently connected to the access point is greater than the number of addresses available, then increase the range.

4. The wireless network the user is trying to connect to is configured for static IP addresses only, check with the system administrator for an IP address assignment.

5. Check if MAC filtering is enabled on the wireless router. If it is, check that the phone MAC address is on the Safe List, if not, add it.

(credit to Blackberry FAQ for this info!)

Maybe this is just a WEP key error? What kind of security are you using?
    08-25-09 10:13 PM
    does snaptu work on wifi without data plan?
    08-26-09 01:57 PM
    I will be travelling in the Caribbean with an unlocked BB Bold, and I plan to use local SIM cards so as not to incur exhorbitant roaming charges from our dear friends at Rogers.

Question: Will I be able to connect to to a paid/open wi-fi service if I am using a non-Rogers SIM ?

I realize SIM and wi-fi are used for different purposes, but just not sure if wi-fi works irrespective of the type of SIM card in the handset.

The purpose of the question is to ensure that I don't somehow get 'roaming' data charges from Rogers.

twc
    Last edited by tallwhitechocolate; 08-26-09 at 03:27 PM.
    08-26-09 03:14 PM
    i just get a bb 8520 want to access wifi but failed...
    the wifi diagnostics shows that there is no ip address (status: ip address no longer valid)
    under UMA: UMA WiFi available is (tick) , but Connection is (cross), error code is W004, status: ISP error. DNS server cannot be reached.

how should i set my bb and router to make it works?!
    so frustrated....

appreciate for any advices!! thx...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-28-09 07:18 AM
    i just get a bb 8520 want to access wifi but failed...
    the wifi diagnostics shows that there is no ip address (status: ip address no longer valid)
    under UMA: UMA WiFi available is (tick) , but Connection is (cross), error code is W004, status: ISP error. DNS server cannot be reached.

how should i set my bb and router to make it works?!
    so frustrated....

appreciate for any advices!! thx...

We'd need more info to be able to help you:

Is this situation with your home wifi router/access point? Or is this with ALL wifi hotspots?

Are the wifi WLAN's secured (e.g., WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc)? If so, do you have, and have you specified, the password when you attempt to associate the blackberry with them?

Is the WLAN set to provide an IP address via DHCP? If so, is your wifi profile in the blackberry set to obtain an IP address and DNS server automatically? (it should be -- otherwise you'll have to manually specify these, which can work fine -- just more work and less flexible).

Have you changed any settings at all in the wifi section of the blackberry options?
    08-28-09 09:09 AM
    We'd need more info to be able to help you:

Is this situation with your home wifi router/access point? Or is this with ALL wifi hotspots?

Are the wifi WLAN's secured (e.g., WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc)? If so, do you have, and have you specified, the password when you attempt to associate the blackberry with them?

Is the WLAN set to provide an IP address via DHCP? If so, is your wifi profile in the blackberry set to obtain an IP address and DNS server automatically? (it should be -- otherwise you'll have to manually specify these, which can work fine -- just more work and less flexible).

Have you changed any settings at all in the wifi section of the blackberry options?
    I have tried my home wifi router, as well as the free wifi that a cafe provided, both failed.
    my home one is WPA2 secured, and I am sure that I typed in the right pw. for the cafe wifi, it is not secured.
    WLAN is set to provide an IP address via DHCP.
    I am not sure how to set my wifi profile in the blackberry to obtain an IP address and DNS server automatically??
    It seems that my blackberry just can't get the ip address...
    By the way, my blackberry TCP/IP setting is APN Settings Enabled (tick), APN Authentication Enabled (no tick), does this affect? sorry i am not familiar with these technical things.

thanks for your help! hope this gives you more clues..

08-29-09 04:32 AM
    Thanks for the info...

Question, when i am on UMA sometimes i dont get a call, it goes right to VM... is there some setting that needs to be done? is this common?
    08-29-09 04:44 PM
    a little updates...

read some forums and turned on the data services under Mobile Network (previously it was off), and my bb can set up the wifi, get an ip address, yet still unable to connect to the internet.

from the diagnostics, under UMA, the connection still appears (cross).... error code is W004.. sometimes it is W006.1

when i see the DNS lookup application, primary & secondary DNS got filled in, but host/last time used/results all are blank, what does this mean?

and my bb is an unlocked phone, is it possible that the wifi is being locked?!

thx again for any help..

08-29-09 09:29 PM
    I have tried my home wifi router, as well as the free wifi that a cafe provided, both failed.
    my home one is WPA2 secured, and I am sure that I typed in the right pw. for the cafe wifi, it is not secured.
    WLAN is set to provide an IP address via DHCP.
    I am not sure how to set my wifi profile in the blackberry to obtain an IP address and DNS server automatically??
    It seems that my blackberry just can't get the ip address...
    By the way, my blackberry TCP/IP setting is APN Settings Enabled (tick), APN Authentication Enabled (no tick), does this affect? sorry i am not familiar with these technical things.

thanks for your help! hope this gives you more clues..

You describe APN settings -- but don't mention the APN ("access point name") itself. Do you have one specified? Each carrier provides one or more access points to use in this role -- these are the internet gateways that your phone must communicate over.

I just googled "Orange" and "APN", and find that Orange uses different APN's depending on the type of service you have -- differentiating between "Contract" users and "PAYG" users.

On one site, it shows "orangewap" for Contract users, and "paygwap" for PAYG users. I don't know that these are correct or current. If you do NOT have the APN name filled in, you will not have internet service.
    08-30-09 12:16 PM
    I will start by saying that I have not searched through each page but I have a question. I have an 8900 and can connect to most locations, however I do not know how to connect to a location that requires a log-in. For example at my college we have wifi through-out campus. When I scan for the network I pick up the signal but I cannot connect.
    On a normal computer the webpage redirects you to a login page but on multiple browsers on my bb it will not. Do you have any insights or should I just go to my IT office on my campus?

Thank you
    09-01-09 02:20 PM

Recap :

At this point, you should be connected to a WiFi network!! (using one of the three options!)

We will now move on to tweak some settings for your BlackBerry Browser and Connection Preferences.

If you are NOT connected for some reason... you will need to troubleshoot the problem.
    Trouble shooting your wireless connection can be done using a few utilities on your BlackBerry!
    Move on to 'Step 3 : Troubleshooting your WiFi Connection' if you are having trouble connecting!

Step 2 : Tweaking your BlackBerry's Settings

Once you are connected to a wireless network, there are a few settings you can tweak so that the WiFi connection performs the way you want it to!!

First of all, we will tweak the Browser Settings. Open your browser and navigate to Menu > Options >
    Browser Configuration. From here, change the 'Browser' option to WiFi (or, in OS 4.5 releases, 'Hotspot')

My browser configuration is as follows :

Browser : HotSpot Browser
    All of the formatting boxes are checked : (JavaScript, Java Popups, Terminate slow running scripts, HTML Tables, ForeGround and BackGround Colors, BackGround Images, Embedded Media, Style Sheets)
    Show Images : On WML & HTML Pages
    Emulation Mode : BlackBerry
    Start Page : Start Page (Set to your liking)
    Home Page Adress : Set to your liking

You can tweak these settings to your liking... but those settings are a good starter.
    Please note these settings are being used on OS 4.5.0.xx on my 8320, there may possibly be minor differences

(Note : setting the emulation mode to 'BlackBerry' will allow your Berry to have a more "mobile friendly" browsing experience. This also allows for applications, themes, etc to be downloaded and installed OTA (over the air). With emulation mode set as 'Microsoft IE', you do not have these benefits!)

Hit the 'Back' button and then go to 'General Properties'. Once again, make sure the first option is set to WiFi (or Hotspot) browser. The other options can, once again, be tweaked to your liking. The defaults should be fine.

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the mobile network connection of your device. You will need to manually change from 'WiFi browser' to 'Internet' browser... and vise versa)

You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:
    • Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    • Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    • WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    • WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available

Finally, navigate to Home > Menu > Manage Connections > WiFi Options.
    This menu will display the current WiFi network you are connected to, along with all of your saved WiFi profiles. From here, you can manage your WiFi networks and remove unused connections. You can also specify if you want the device to auto-connect or manually connect to networks.

To edit Saved WiFi Profiles : highlight the desired network and hit Menu > Edit. You are able to change the name, security type, etc... (in case you ever make a change in your router configuration!)

Step 3 : Troubleshooting your WiFi Connection

If you have a specific error code for your problem, then please refer to Question 1 in the FAQ section. Otherwise, follow these directions

This section is dedicated for users who are still experiencing problems when connecting to WiFi networks. If you are unable to connect to a network there are a number of things to take into consideration.

1. Your router setup
    2. Other routers in close proximity to your router

In order to do some diagnostics and troubleshooting we will first go to Manage Connections > Services Status

From here, examine the "Wi-Fi Network" configuration. This should be on, have an active profile, SSID and security type. If this is "OFF" then you will want to make sure the WiFi is "ON" and connected to a network.

Next, go to Manage Connections > Wi-Fi Options. Press Menu > Wi-Fi Diagnostics. This information window will provide you with a number of areas about your wireless connection. When connected properly, this will tell you everything from the profile name, to IP address, status of your connection, UMA status, etc. This is a good place to start when you run into a WiFi problem.

Finally, we take this one step further and do a "Site Survey". This can be done by pressing Menu > Site Survey from the WiFi Diagnostics window. It will prompt you to start scan... so press your track ball and begin the scan. It will turn on your WiFi (if not on already) and scan for all available wireless networks. This then gives a detailed report of all of the WiFi networks available near you.

Specifically, you want to look at the network you desire to connect to and the channel it is running on! If your channel interferes with any of the other visible networks, then you will want to configure your router to have a different channel to get the best results. Sometimes interference can cause a number of connection issues and confuse your device! To change the channel on your router, consult your router's user guide or the manufacturer's website. In most cases, you go to your router's configuration page (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser). Then, somewhere under the wireless settings, you can change the channel.

If your device is not connecting to the router, but it can see it through site survey, do a power cycle on both the router and your device. Once this has been completed, attempt to connect to the network again. If problems continue to persist, I recommend starting fresh from a full reset on the router (no security) and attempting to connect. Once you establish a connection without security, you can go back to the router's configuration and enable security. You will then need to make the proper adjustments to that network profile's security on your device... then connect.
    You just enabled me to be able to close the deal on my new Storm 1 (VZW's BlackBerry Sale has the Storm 1 for $49.99; my mom has a Family Share Plan, so it's $49.99 for two years + $9.99 for a third line (she has two already), and use basically *no minutes* ever (I'm also the administrator of the household LAN, which is G-only and locked using WPA Personal; naturally, I know the key)).

*Zero minutes*? Thanks to VZW F&F (home number is included, mom and her fiance have the two existing VZW phones in our FSP, and wifi uses no minutes), I can have a no-minute Storm for cheap. Plus I can even persuade Mom to upgrade from her Sammy to a Storm 2 come NE2 time. If anything, her bill will actually *drop*, especially the data side of it.
    09-01-09 09:57 PM
    i wish verizon had wifi storms
    If Vodaphone Europe has wifi on their BBs, why wouldn't VZW (which is partly owned by Vodaphone)?

Also, I noticed nothing in the wifi guide that said that specific BB models (not even the Storm) lack the option.
    09-01-09 10:12 PM
    Wow, thanks for the how to my phone is now connected to wi-fi thanks to the router in my house, always wanted to know how this worked, you gave a very nice post, that was easy to follow, I chose the search method, & it went flawlessly!
    Which phone?
    09-01-09 10:14 PM
    Thanks, I was able to fix my problem!!
    09-02-09 11:23 AM
    Hi, really nice guide, thanks a lot, but i am having a problem that i could not find in this topic, i can get connect to any wifi conection i want but when i open the explorer nothing is shown, the explorer browser remaing white and with a "loading" message below, what is the problem? Thanks
    09-11-09 02:05 AM
    i need help w/ my wifi issue... As i connected my BOLD to wifi, it said connection succesfully. Yes i can connect to the internet using my browser. However what i can't do is my BBM or Facebook apps or MSN connection. when i try to use them it said data collection is unavailable? can someone help me pls what's wrong w/ my bb?
    My wife bb doesn't have any problem connecting to the wife and uses all the apps such as facebook or ym or msn or bbm...

When i check my service status under manage connections. it shows
    Mobile Voice
    Connections : Mobile Network
    (k here's the part that i think i'm encountering the problem)
    Blackberry Internet Service
    Connection: Not Connected (My Wife BB shows her connection as Wifi)
    Blackberry Enterprise Server
    Connection: Not Connected (my wife bb also shows as Wifi )

(i skip the mobile network and goes to wifi)
    Wi-Fi Network
    Active Profile: KGEAR
    SSID: KGEAR
    type : 802.11b/g

the wifi information is the same as my wife... how do i make bb internet service to switch its connection to wifi pls help
    Last edited by sf49ers79; 09-12-09 at 10:21 AM.
    09-12-09 10:08 AM
601 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD