Is there a way to add WiFi to an 8330?
    04-25-09 10:58 PM
    Useful guide. Thanks.
    04-26-09 12:34 AM
    Please ... some of these instructions do not work for the BB Bold. How can I configure applications such as Viigo, Google Maps, etc. to use Wifi only as I do not, nor do I want to get, a data plan..... please help. Anyone?
    Those apps require a data plan to work.

Is there a way to add WiFi to an 8330?
    No, the phone doesn't have the WiFi hardware within the device.
    04-26-09 12:19 PM
    Ok I went back through all the instructions on page one, and now when I scan for available networks and I click the one I want it asks me if I want to perform a WPS setup? I click yes and this is the message I received.

Provisioning Wi-Fi Profiles
    Add this PIN to your Wireless Access Point: 56254617
    Then it starts to countdown from 5 minutes, I waited and nothing happens?
    04-27-09 10:43 AM
    Ok I went back through all the instructions on page one, and now when I scan for available networks and I click the one I want it asks me if I want to perform a WPS setup? I click yes and this is the message I received.

Is this at your house or where is the connection you are trying to make
    04-27-09 10:49 AM

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.
    I don't have connection preference....is there anything else that I can do to find it and set it up?
    04-28-09 03:54 PM
    Is this at your house or where is the connection you are trying to make

I am trying to connect using my home wireless network. Any ideas?

Thanks
    04-29-09 12:17 PM

When you have a problem, check the built in Wifi Diagnostics.

Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

If you find an error message, we can help to correct the problem.

WPS is part of your Wifi security setup. It can complicate things, for diagnostics purposes, it is a lot simpler to establish an open connection first.

Once that is in place, adding in the security is simple.

You will need direct access to the router, most models have an button that will reset them to factory defaults. Alternately, you can enter the router control panel and manualy set the security connection to open.

I have attached a post that address this issue.

I am sure by now you have figured it out, but if anyone else has the same problem you can also go into your router setup page (online) and look for the WIRELESS SETTINGS, than look for ADD WIRELESS DEVICE WITH WPS, from there you will have 2 choices Auto or Manual. In Auto you will need the PIN that your phone will give you and then you have to enter that in router page so it can locate and grant access. In Manual the router will give you the information you need to enter on your phone so you can sign the phone in yourself. From experience the manual one is not one that worked for me. As for just press the WPS button on the router and then press the connect on your phone that sounds simple enough and if you are broadcasting your SSID it should connect you. <- the simplest one and yet somehow it took me forever to figure out.
    04-29-09 12:50 PM
    I recently bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8320 with wifi capabilities. I was hoping to use a T-Mobile sim card and use prepaid minute cards. Will texting work like normal with that, using parts of minutes for sending and receiving? Also, would I be able to get Wifi using my home network(Linksys G) without a data plan?
    05-02-09 10:49 AM
    I recently bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8320 with wifi capabilities. I was hoping to use a T-Mobile sim card and use prepaid minute cards. Will texting work like normal with that, using parts of minutes for sending and receiving? Also, would I be able to get Wifi using my home network(Linksys G) without a data plan?
    Texting should work, and as far as home WiFi should work fine, texting and calling over WiFi will subtract from your minutes unless you get a hotspot@home plan. But you will be able to browse the internet no problem with WiFi without hotspot@home
    05-02-09 10:56 AM
    Omg! Thanks so much! Hope you're right! Cuz I've heard people say that you can't unless you get a data plan, but maybe that's just with AT&T. Another question: would I be able to get wifi before I activate my phone? Does activating the phone have anything to do with wifi? Because I wouldn't want to spend money to activate it before I know if the phone wifi actually does work without having a data plan.
    Last edited by flamencoqueen; 05-02-09 at 11:06 AM.
    05-02-09 11:03 AM
    I actually emailed T-Mobile, and they emailed back saying that texting will work with prepaid service, and I don't need to pay for data plans for my wifi to work. It's the wifi capability of the phone, no need for data plans unless you don't want wifi calls to cost you minutes; then you get the Hotspot@Home which allows you to make free wifi calls @ $10/month. So happy now! I'm glad it'll work!
    05-02-09 02:43 PM
    hOW CAN I GET A BROWSER WITH MY BLACKBERRY STORM?
    05-02-09 05:34 PM
    hOW CAN I GET A BROWSER WITH MY BLACKBERRY STORM?
    From the home screen,click your screen, go to Options>Advanced Options>Select Host Routing Table>BB menu key then 'Register Now'

Resend Service Books:
    Setup>Email Settings>BB button key>Service Books>Send Service Books
    05-02-09 07:56 PM
    I wish I had known about this info earlier. It would've saved me a lot of aggrevation and curse words with T-Mobile! I spent 1 1/2 weeks trying to get Curvie Wi-Fi configured. After numerous calls I finally got someone who knew what to do. I even went to a T-Mobile store and was told that the 8320 would not connect by Wi-Fi without a data plan, which I found out to be toal BS.
    05-06-09 03:16 PM
    woooooooooooow
    05-06-09 05:57 PM
    hey bmc, this was super useful. I got my internet to work on my brand spankin new 8900. Now, in my IM (aim, icq, gmail, yahoo, bb, msn, and yahoo) still does not work. do i need to set it up as well and tell my phone to use the wifi connection?
    thanks..

ernie
    05-07-09 02:35 AM
    How fast is it?
    05-07-09 09:05 AM
    Can it be used or unlocked with metro pcs (storm). need service for free international txts
    05-07-09 09:06 AM

Recap :.....

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

Im lost here, when i click

HOME SCREEN
    MANAGE CONNECTIONS
    MOBILE NETWORK OPTIONS
    there is no CONNECTION PREFERENCE...

I only have these:
    Data Services On
    Mobile Network: GLOBE
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic

Dont see any "Connection Preference"

HELP PLS...
    05-09-09 08:52 PM
    ok, i followed all you instructions on how to set up the wifi for my bb 8320 and i was able to get it working. no problems, then i had a problem with the phone, (some keys stopped working) so i had to send the phone back. before i did, i backed it up. then i got a new one and restored it with the backup i saved. everything set up perfectly, until i wanted to check my email and when i go to the browser i get this message:

"Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later.
    if the problem persists please contact your service provider."

i went back through all you settings, setup, and trouble shooting. everything says that it is connected, but the browser is not working. i figure some where i must have missed something, i just can't find the problem. please help.
    05-10-09 01:31 PM
    Are we supposed to have the firewall on wifi use? What settings?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-11-09 04:00 AM
    Gonna take me awhile still but this helps a great deal. Thanks.
    05-11-09 09:49 AM
    Just wondering if the Storm has Wi-fi capability that might just be locked, or if it contains no Wi-fi components at all. would be nice to use available Wi-Fi networks now and again.

Not that verizon would let anyone access the internet for free over one of their phones...

Thanx
    05-11-09 04:06 PM
    When I return home from my business trip I will look into this more. Thanks for the info!

05-12-09 03:58 PM
601 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD