no i mean before the AP MAC address was different than my router (it was one digit off)
    but the blackberry MAC address is different yes

under VPN it says status: error: link down

could that be the problem?
    03-02-09 09:21 PM
    OK, so this has to be the longest post that I have ever read front to back TWICE, and I havent found what I am looking for. So here goes...
    I have a BB Bold 9000 on AT&T with unlimited texts, and web and email. I am running OS 4.6.0.237 (platform 4.0.0.197)
    I have a Netgear WPN824v3 Wireless MIMO router for my home network. I can see the network and it says that it is my active network under Manage Connections, however it only gives me a - sign instead of a check mark. The error I get is: Unable to find the requested server, even though its google.com or crackberry.com. I have changed the channel on my home network to one that no one else in range is using. On the WiFi Diagnostics screen everthing looks good till the connecting part, where i have a red x or the - It never makes it to authentication of the router or server. Any ideas?

And yes I know i can use my data plan to connect to the internet but my wifi is much faster than the 3g that att has to offer.

I am using WPA-PSK [TKIP] for security encryption. Does BB not support this? I tried the router and BB with WEP too and no luck. But when I leave the network open with no security its connects just fine.

Edit: After some searching on BB.com, WPA-PSK [TKIP] is supported supposedly.
    Here is what I get when I run Wi-Fi Diagnostics:

Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: XX
    SSID: XX
    AP MAC Address: "Insert Blackberry MAC Address"
    Security Type: Pre-Shared Key (PSK)
    Association: Successful
    Authentication: Successful
    Local IP Address: 192.168.1.3
    Signal Level: -47 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps
    Authentication Failure Reason:
    Network Type: 802.11b/g
    Network Channel: 3
    Pairwise Cipher: TKIP
    Group Cipher: TKIP
    Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP: Successful
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    DNS suffix:
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Server Domain Suffix:
    Certificate: Not Applicable
    Software Token: Not Applicable
    L3 Auth:

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: N/A
    Secure Device IP:
    Resolving Concentrator: N/A
    Concentrator IP:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    DNS Suffix:
    Secure Subnet Mask:
    Retry at:
    Session Lifetime:
    Re-login at:
    Failed Login Attempts: 0
    Certificate:
    Software Token:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Address Used: //xxx.xxx.xx.xx:443
    IP Used:
    Connecting: Trying...
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    Last Contact At:
    Last edited by firemedictj; 03-02-09 at 11:54 PM.
    03-02-09 09:31 PM
    Hi evey1,

Even though I am able to surf net via the wifi, my device never shows a green tick besides the wifi in manage connections. There is a white - displayed againt the wifi in manage connections.

I m currently running .241 & my device is de-branded. Network carrier is Bharti Televentures Ltd (airtel), India.

Could this be a hardware or software issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by abhinavsg; 03-04-09 at 10:24 AM.
    03-04-09 03:53 AM
    Your mac address for you router and for your BB shouldn't match. Nor should your IP addresses, but your IP address should share the first three of four digits with your router's address (i.e. 192.168.1.X). You may have to enter your BB's MAC address in your router somewhere if you use MAC address filtering.

i was going to try this put the mac address of the blackberry on my router. but i didn't. ill try it later when i get home.

why is the wifi on the blackberry so hard to set up? i manage to set up my iphone psp ds ps3 wii xbox 360 and all the laptop in the house no problem but my 8320 oh men such a pain!

im thinking that they block it somehow i just dont know..

thanks for the tip..
    03-04-09 09:05 AM
    Hi evey1,

Even though I am able to surf net via the wifi, my device never shows a green tick besides the wifi in manage connections. There is a white - displayed againt the wifi in manage connections.

I m currently running .241 & my device is de-branded. Network carrier is Bharti Televentures Ltd (airtel), India.

Could this be a hardware or software issue?

You will only get the Green Check Mark if your provider provides UMA and you are also correctly connected to UMA. Odds are that your provider does not offer UMA.
    03-04-09 01:01 PM
    You will only get the Green Check Mark if your provider provides UMA and you are also correctly connected to UMA. Odds are that your provider does not offer UMA.
    Right, my home Internet Service Provider, through which I take the wifi connection, is different from the mobile network service provider. (for a novice like me, what is the most simple definition/explanation for UMA?)

thanks a lot for the info.

I'd also like to ask you :

1. Is it possible on my blackberry to automatically switch between wifi & edge (depending up on availability of wifi for browsing internet) ? If yes, then what options should be chosen as the Browser Options?
    Currently I have Chosen Browser as - HotSpot Browser.

2. I want to reconfirm this : Is it possible to run third party applications, Gmail & YahooGo using the wifi connection for accessing the internet ? Or, I'v got to use the Edge only?

Thanks a lot once more buddy.
    Last edited by abhinavsg; 03-04-09 at 01:32 PM.
    03-04-09 01:26 PM
    Right, my home Internet Service Provider, through which I take the wifi connection, is different from the mobile network service provider. (for a novice like me, what is the most simple definition/explanation for UMA?)

thanks a lot for the info.

I'd also like to ask you :

1. Is it possible on my blackberry to automatically switch between wifi & edge (depending up on availability of wifi for browsing internet) ? If yes, then what options should be chosen as the Browser Options?
    Currently I have Chosen Browser as - HotSpot Browser.

2. I want to reconfirm this : Is it possible to run third party applications, Gmail & YahooGo using the wifi connection for accessing the internet ? Or, I'v got to use the Edge only?

Thanks a lot once more buddy.

UMA is a feature that your carrier as well as you phone both need to support for it to work. What UMA does is it connects your phone to your carrier's cellular network thorugh the Internet using a secure tunnel and your WiFi connection. This allows you to place calls, get your BB Push Email, use BB Messenger, etc by using your WiFi connection - even if you do not have cellular service. It works completely through your WiFi connection, very convenient. If you opt to add the $10 "Hotspot at Home" or similarly named services then all calls you make via UMA are free. If you do not pay for this additional feature then UMA will still work and the minutes used will be deducted from your normal monthly minutes (just as you are used to prior to using UMA). If you do not have any problem with your monthly minutes usage then it is probably not worth adding this additional feature - you decide.

1. You have to manually change your Browser settings yourself depending on if you want to browse the Internet using EDGE or WiFi.

Hotspot = WiFi
    Internet = EDGE

Check out the Browsers Explained link in my signature for more information on the different Browsers.

2. Some applications use your BIS data only, while others use either BIS or WiFi. Other apps use WiFi only. It just depends on the app. Most use BIS data only, like the ones you listed. You can find other 3rd party applications to work on WiFi thought. BeeJive is one of them that I like and there is also Palringo, which i have not used yet but others like it.
    03-04-09 02:16 PM
    GMail App will work on Wifi, but if you deny it permission to access the carrier internet (i.e. EDGE) it will not work so I don't know if it will work without a data plan.
    03-04-09 04:27 PM
    i have a question some times my wifi will work fine and sometimes i will keep getting a page thats called upshell or upsell that says i do not have a data plan and i should add one.. I followed all the steps carefully but for some reason i cant get it to work all the time... if anyone has had this happen to them please help me out i would appreciate it ...

thanx
    03-10-09 06:18 PM
    You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:
    • Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    • Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    • WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    • WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available
    If I set the 8900 to "WiFi Only", then can I get on the internet and use both the Web Browser App and the Email App without purchasing a plan from any provider?

Or does that require an "unlocked" version of the 8900?

More generally, if I purchase a T-Mobile version of the 8900 [locked to T-Mobile], and if I only purchase a T-Mobile voice plan [but NOT a T-Mobile data plan], then can I still use the Web Browser App and the Email App over WiFi without sending any more money to T-Mobile?

I am trying to keep monthly fees to a bare minimum, so I would like to purchase the cheapest voice plan, and only download "free" data off of WiFi connections [without having to pay T-Mobile any more money for the privilege of doing so].
    03-11-09 05:52 PM
    If I set the 8900 to "WiFi Only", then can I get on the internet and use both the Web Browser App and the Email App without purchasing a plan from any provider?

Or does that require an "unlocked" version of the 8900?

More generally, if I purchase a T-Mobile version of the 8900 [locked to T-Mobile], and if I only purchase a T-Mobile voice plan [but NOT a T-Mobile data plan], then can I still use the Web Browser App and the Email App over WiFi without sending any more money to T-Mobile?

I am trying to keep monthly fees to a bare minimum, so I would like to purchase the cheapest voice plan, and only download "free" data off of WiFi connections [without having to pay T-Mobile any more money for the privilege of doing so].
    That WiFi Only option applies to UMA calling. In order for UMA calling to work, you first need a data plan on your account. You can not get push email or BB Messenger over WiFi without UMA working, thus you need a data plan for this as well.

You can use the WiFi Browser on your device regardless of your carrier plan. In fact you can use the WiFi Browser without even having a SIM card in your phone, you are just limited to the range of the WiFi hotspot. You can also download some 3rd party applications that can get mail to your phone but it is not push mail and it does not use the Messages Icon on your phone. It will instead use the 3rd Party application's Icon - such as Gmail.
    03-11-09 06:40 PM
    You can also download some 3rd party applications that can get mail to your phone but it is not push mail and it does not use the Messages Icon on your phone. It will instead use the 3rd Party application's Icon - such as Gmail.
    So the Email App which is launched by the Messages Icon cannot be made to use pure WiFi?

It only works over "Edge" with a purchased data plan?
    03-11-09 07:19 PM
    The Messages Icon works over EDGE or UMA ... both require a data plan.
    03-11-09 07:21 PM
    The Messages Icon works over EDGE or UMA ... both require a data plan.
    Okay - so it does NOT work over pure 802.11b/g?

For pure 802.11b/g email, I have to download a third-party email app?
    03-11-09 07:35 PM
    Okay - so it does NOT work over pure 802.11b/g?

For pure 802.11b/g email, I have to download a third-party email app?
    Yes it does work over WiFi via UMA but not without a Data Plan. If you want email without a data plan then you need to use a 3rd party application that does work over WiFi to deliver your mail.
    03-11-09 07:45 PM
    If you want email without a data plan then you need to use a 3rd party application that does work over WiFi to deliver your mail.
    Okay, now how about getting rid of the icons I don't use?

Let's say I download something like Tiggit for my email client, and use the Hotspot browser for the web.

Then I will have a total of four icons:

1) Internet browser ["Edge"]
    2) Hotspot browser ["pure WiFi"]
    3) Messages email client ["Edge"]
    4) Tiggit email client ["pure WiFi"]

Can I delete the two "Edge" icons, so that I only have the "pure Wifi" icons showing?

Or is there some desktop management software I can download which will allow me to delete the icons that I'm not using?

My users aren't very tech-savvy, and it would be a lot easier if I could delete the icons which they will never be using [and then there won't be any confusion for them].
    03-11-09 08:28 PM
    Okay, now how about getting rid of the icons I don't use?

Let's say I download something like Tiggit for my email client, and use the Hotspot browser for the web.

Then I will have a total of four icons:

1) Internet browser ["Edge"]
    2) Hotspot browser ["pure WiFi"]
    3) Messages email client ["Edge"]
    4) Tiggit email client ["pure WiFi"]

Can I delete the two "Edge" icons, so that I only have the "pure Wifi" icons showing?

Or is there some desktop management software I can download which will allow me to delete the icons that I'm not using?

My users aren't very tech-savvy, and it would be a lot easier if I could delete the icons which they will never be using [and then there won't be any confusion for them].
    From the Home Screen you can click the BB Button to get to the Application screen. From there select any Icon you want to hide, press the BB Button again and then select hide. Hide all the Icons you want this way. Then if the Icons are transparent but still visible, press the BB Button again and un-check Select All. They will not go away.
    03-12-09 01:26 AM
    From the Home Screen you can click the BB Button to get to the Application screen. From there select any Icon you want to hide, press the BB Button again and then select hide. Hide all the Icons you want this way. Then if the Icons are transparent but still visible, press the BB Button again and un-check Select All. They will not go away.
    Cool - so I can fix my users' Blackberries so that they only see WiFi icons [Hotspot browser, Tiggit email] and they'll never even know that the old "Edge" icons were there?

That's exactly what I want to do - so that they will only have the option to use WiFi and there won't be any confusion for them.
    03-12-09 10:43 AM
    Useful guide.....
    03-12-09 09:41 PM
    Q: Why do I not see the WiFi option when I go to "Manage Connections"?? / What devices have WiFi functionality??

A: You do not see that option if your device is not supported. The devices that currently support WiFi are the 8120, 8220, 8320, 8820, 8900, 9000. All other devices do not support WiFi, as of the time of this post!

i have this problem and i have a BOLD . My carrier is Etisalat . i do not see the wifi option .
    03-16-09 01:23 AM
    Other than UMA calling , whatre the benefits of doing this ? :-)
    03-16-09 01:27 AM
    thanks for your guide - very informative.

quick question: you wrote "A: For a simple answer, UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) allows calling over WiFi networks, somewhat like VoIP. This is an added convenience for WiFi phones and has benefits, such as alternative connection methods in poor coverage areas and FREE calling when using TMobile's HotSpot@Home feature!"

are you saying that the only way to make wifi calls is to subscribe to TMobile's HotSpot (about $10/mo)?

i just got bb 8900 and tried to set it up using steps you've described. now, under 'manage connections', it shows 'mobile network' with a white check mark before it and a green check mark after. but then, it shows 'wi-fi' with a white check mark before and only a minus sign after.
    does it mean that wi-fi is not used for browsing/phone calls?
    thanks
    03-16-09 03:47 AM
    i just got bb 8900 and ... under 'manage connections', it shows 'mobile network' with a white check mark before it and a green check mark after. but then, it shows 'wi-fi' with a white check mark before and only a minus sign after.
    I too experience this, and also notice that when the green check mark is not present, the "UMA" icon in the upper right-hand corner disappears as well. The top center reads T-Mobile - "my wifi connection name" (non-tmo router), but no UMA icon. Does this mean I'm losing wifi connection or having problems holding on to the UMA component of the wifi connection? Please advise anyone who can help with this. Thanks.
    03-16-09 01:14 PM
    Hello,

I have an unlocked Bold AT&T. I bought it in the US and got the unlock code from AT&T. I am in Saudi Arabia. I have Wi-Fi at home. Setup my Bold to my Wi-Fi. Was able to ping my desktop PC from my Bold, and vice versa. Set-up my Bold's Browser to HotSpot. Try to get to Yahoo.com, but still cannot. Can you please give me some hints? Thanks.
    03-16-09 01:33 PM
    thanks for your guide - very informative.

quick question: you wrote "A: For a simple answer, UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) allows calling over WiFi networks, somewhat like VoIP. This is an added convenience for WiFi phones and has benefits, such as alternative connection methods in poor coverage areas and FREE calling when using TMobile's HotSpot@Home feature!"

are you saying that the only way to make wifi calls is to subscribe to TMobile's HotSpot (about $10/mo)?

i just got bb 8900 and tried to set it up using steps you've described. now, under 'manage connections', it shows 'mobile network' with a white check mark before it and a green check mark after. but then, it shows 'wi-fi' with a white check mark before and only a minus sign after.
    does it mean that wi-fi is not used for browsing/phone calls?
    thanks
    You do not need the "Hotspot at Home" type service to use UMA. If you do not have it then the call minutes over WiFi come out of your normal monthly minutes. However if you do have the additional add-on then you will have unlimited calling minutes over WiFi.

I too experience this, and also notice that when the green check mark is not present, the "UMA" icon in the upper right-hand corner disappears as well. The top center reads T-Mobile - "my wifi connection name" (non-tmo router), but no UMA icon. Does this mean I'm losing wifi connection or having problems holding on to the UMA component of the wifi connection? Please advise anyone who can help with this. Thanks.
    The Green Check mark means that you are connected to your carrier through UMA. If you do not have that check mark then you are only connected to WiFi but not UMA. I suggest you read through the guide again on the first page and make sure everything is setup correctly. You may also need to read through and/or search the replied in the rest of this thread for additional information.

Hello,

I have an unlocked Bold AT&T. I bought it in the US and got the unlock code from AT&T. I am in Saudi Arabia. I have Wi-Fi at home. Setup my Bold to my Wi-Fi. Was able to ping my desktop PC from my Bold, and vice versa. Set-up my Bold's Browser to HotSpot. Try to get to Yahoo.com, but still cannot. Can you please give me some hints? Thanks.
    Sounds like it should work. Not sure what to tell you other than to go through the guide again and make sure everything is setup correctly. Also try to restart both your phone and your router. I remember someone once upon a time (and it might even be in this thread) that AT&T WiFi will not work without a data plan. I am not sure if this is true or not but I'm thinking its not true. However I am not 100% sure on that.
    03-16-09 02:28 PM
601 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD