This is all cool you know. But since i can't change text color I'm screwed if i want a picture on my background. The numbers are black so if i have a pic with a dark background, you can't see the numbers.
    09-01-08 06:31 AM
    Make sure you are on the main screen before you alt-nmll.
    09-05-08 02:02 PM
    Go to the main screen before you alt-nmll.
    09-05-08 02:06 PM
    FYI, Just tried on the BB BOLD.

WORKS !!!!

Lovely !
    09-05-08 02:45 PM
    Thursday, March 27 2008, @ 6:47 AM (-0800 GMT)

Hi All,

I published this info here several months back, but have since added more to it. The "5 Bar" signal level display, at the top right corner of your 8820 display is, "cute," but of little practical use as it is too vague and insensitive. With a more accurate, and sensitive way to indicate signal power, you can experiment with "how" you physically "hold" and use your BB, try an external antenna in remote locations, keep a "handle" on receiver sensitivity, etc.

A far better way to indicate cell tower signal strength is to display the actual signal power in "dBM." This is the signal power level, in decibels, referenced to a signal power of 1 milliwatt. The level will ALWAYS be a "negative" number as your signal level will always be less than 1 milliwatt, much less.

To change your display from "5 Bars" to signal power in dBM, do the following: With one finger, hold down the ALT key on the far left. Now, with your other hand, press the letter sequence NMLL. Your display should instantly change from "5 Bar" to signal power in dBM. To revert BACK to "5 Bar," do the same thing again.

There is ONE CAVEAT in doing this. An extremely WEAK signal, less than or equal -100 dBM, will NOT show on-screen becuz only 2 digits can be displayed. So, when your signal level gets VERY VERY weak, at, say, -99 dBM, a further drop will change the display to "-10," then "-11" etc, corresponding to signal powers in the -100 to -119 dBM range. This is of no real problem tho, as your phone probably wont work at that low a level anyway, BUT you can experiment with an iinduction coupled external antenna if you want. Also, it is highly unlikely you will ever see a signal level HIGHER than about -40 dBM, i.e. -39, -38, yada yada, dBM.

For those who are technically oriented, as most BB Users are, and want MORE, here is an approximate tabulation of the # of Bars vs. signal level in dBM:
    1 bar ~ -102 to -120 dBM
    2 Bars ~ -93 to -101 dBM
    3 Bars ~ -87 to -92 dBM
    4 Bars ~ -78 to -86 dBM
    5 Bars ~ -40 to -77 dBM

I hope this is helpful information? i have learned a LOT from the Crackberry forums and am trying to "payback" in a way that I can.

If you participate in the 3D Virtual World of SL, "Second Life," Second Life: Official site of the 3D online virtual world, visit me "in-world." My name there is Linda Latte. We can "do lunch" on the SS Titanic, back in 1912, before it sinks. <giggle> YES, it "exists" there, really! Hahahaha. If you don't "do" SL, visit my web site for FREE antispam software. Its at FREE antispam software. Free spam blockers you can download.
    ummm... mine says -256
    09-05-08 06:03 PM
    mine doesn't work (8320) it's just blank where the bar used to be
    09-05-08 06:29 PM
    Worked for me.. Sweet
    09-05-08 06:47 PM
    nice tip. also works with the 8330. you just have to have a light background because the numbers are small and in black. I had trouble seeing the signal with a dark background.
    09-07-08 03:26 PM
    Seems to work on my 8310.... Pretty neat... I seems to staying around the 90 mark.
    09-07-08 05:30 PM
    So, Linda Anne, are you like a rocket scientist or something? lol I just read your entire post of several pages ago detailing what the numbers mean and what dBM is all about to my wife - wow! Thanks for all of this - whether you need it every day or once, it was a GREAT post and a neat thread! Oh, and on my Curve Today screen the numbers are SO small that I can't read them without a little magnification - and I'm not carrying a magnifying glass around with me all the time. But, it is STILL a really nice job!! Thanks!

(Oh, and the thought of see you climb the tower in high heels was a moving picture!)
    09-07-08 07:47 PM
    Not working for my pearl.

It might have to do with the fact that the "N" shares a button with the "B"?
    Last edited by vdastoli1; 09-08-08 at 10:33 PM.
    09-08-08 10:14 PM
    With the Pearl, because the letters are on the same key.

You need to hold down the Alt key, then hit the "N" button twice, then M, then L, and L again.

So really for pearl you can say Alt Key + "NNMLL"

Just thought I'd share, seems like some people figured it out, others didn't.
    09-08-08 10:37 PM
    I've been switching themes lately and noticed that some use different fonts for the Home Screen header. This may cause some themes will cut off the bottom of the numbers. So it's possible there are themes out there that would limit the display of the numbers completely.

Regardless of the themes I've used, the numbers are always black. Of course, this limits the wallpaper that's usable.

Also, I have seen 3-digit displays (eg, -110).

Thanks again for posting this tip.
    09-09-08 04:50 AM
    Also, I have seen 3-digit displays (eg, -110).
    to the OP: thanks! this is great.

the VZW default theme shows 3 digits on my curve
    09-09-08 10:16 AM
    Works fine on my Pearl
    09-12-08 10:19 AM
    Yes it works on the pearl... Just remember to tap the 8 key twice to get the letter N (ie hold down alt and press 889,,)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 05:04 AM
    That is pretty cool. i have tried this for about a day now and almost always have between -89 to -65dbm (four to five bars?). never any better than that. i guess i have fairly good coverage in my area. the idea is to get as close to 1 milliwatt as possible right?
    09-20-08 02:43 AM
    @Silas007 "the idea is to get as close to 1 milliwatt as possible right?"

Nope, 1mW signal would probably overload your phone's receiver. The aim is to have the dBm strength tend towards zero (less negative) for better performance but you are unlikely to get much stronger than -40dBm without extreme measures.

Remember also that cell base antennas are usually directional with the hottest part of the beam usually pointing just below the horizon. There is a null directly above and below the antenna, so if you stand directly under the tower you might get more signal reflected back from surrounding objects than you get direct from the antenna. The strongest signal at ground level is often tens or hundreds of yards away from the tower as you start to move from the shadow into the main beam pattern.

Anyway your reported signal strengths are fine for normal use. It is not worth the effore to move around in search of improvements - unlike here at home where my phone sometimes only gets to 2 bars if I move to the window.
    09-22-08 05:00 PM
    doesnt work on my 8330. just removes the bar. when you go back to the bar, its pegged at 5 and wont change, apparently stuck. options-status shows me at -81db.
    09-23-08 12:02 AM
    I live 3 blocks from a cell tower and always have 5 bars on my Pearl but only get -80dBm. I don't think I've ever seen a higher number then that. I didn't use this trick to find out, I just went into Options, Status.
    Hello everyone.. i have the same issue on my 8330 curve(sprint) 5 bars and never seen lower than -80 dbm.im in a great coverage area .
    09-29-08 07:30 AM
    ummm nice info!! but its really hard to see the number as it displays in black and my background is black lol =P
    09-30-08 03:03 AM
    Does it work on the Pearl?
    8100 4.2 = No
    09-30-08 05:49 AM
    Thanks for the techno tip!

09-30-08 05:08 PM
    Okay mine is weak in my house and most places, so what is the best place to buy a signal booster?
    09-30-08 05:22 PM
    very cool!!
    09-30-08 05:26 PM
578 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD