04-27-14 08:30 PM
578 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Hi All,

Just tried it on my Bold & works well & looks good too.
    09-30-08 07:18 PM
    Since I am new here I just found this thread and like the feature a lot. My only problem is that I have a great picture of Yankee Stadium and the top is black and so is the color of the signal. So I can't read it. Is there a way to make it red like the bars were?
    10-01-08 02:33 PM
    interesting info. i can see myself always lookin @ the signal power. lol
    10-01-08 07:36 PM
    Since I am new here I just found this thread and like the feature a lot. My only problem is that I have a great picture of Yankee Stadium and the top is black and so is the color of the signal. So I can't read it. Is there a way to make it red like the bars were?
    unfortunately, there is NOT a way to make the font any color other than black.
    10-02-08 07:04 AM
    It does work on the pearl you just have to hit the bn button twice (for n)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 10:48 AM
    I always thought my 5 bar indicator was insensitive but I didn't have the guts to say it. Now I feel liberated!

All playing aside, this is a great tip. Thanks for sharing it.

10-02-08 02:27 PM
    just tried it twice on my pearl (8110) and got nothing.
    10-02-08 10:38 PM

ooooh.....just kidding. It DOES work.
    10-02-08 10:40 PM
    The term "dBM" is decibels referenced to a 1 milliwatt signal level, hence the "dB" and the "M." Using base 10 logs, the conversion from power, in watts, to dBM is given by 10 X log [(power)/.001] Here, log is base 10, power is in watts, and the .001 is the reference level of 1 milliwatt. Thus, as a simple example, a signal power of 1 watt equates to +30 dBM. Naturally, if you take the anti-log you convert back from dBM to watts.

Cell signals are FAR FAR below 1 milliwatt. So, since they are way BELOW, the power level is expressed as a negative number. Make sense? A signal of -100 dBM is 10 dB WEAKER than a signal of -90 dBM. In terms of raw signal power, power DOUBLES for each 3 dB RISE, or HALVES for each 3 dB FALL. So a signal of -97 dBM (for example), is TWICE the power, in watts, of a -100 dBM signal. By the same token, a -100 dBM signal is 1/2 the power of a -97 dBM signal. Make sense now, maybe? <g>

As the technology matures, with better cell antennas, receiver sensitivity, bandwidth reduction, and improved modulation schemes, newer phones will perform even better than now, and may well work reliably below -100 dBM. However, reception of voice "chit chat" will always require the signal to be above the thermal noise floor of -174 dBM/Hz. To the best of my knowledge, only repetitive data streams can be recovered from below the thermal noise floor using a process known as integration. This is how data is received from deep space probes so far out from our solar system that their transmissions are buried deep in the noise.

Will you marry me?

And how soon do you think newer phones will be able to perform reliably? Like 2009 soon...like BB Bold soon? Or is this all relative to the power of the towers and not the phones themselves.
    10-08-08 11:38 AM
    I figured the service at work was bad but my phone always at -110.
    I do like it better than the five bars though.
    10-08-08 09:16 PM
    I would say -256 is really bad lol
    10-08-08 09:23 PM
    [QUOTE=thucoddin23;784467]It does work on the pearl you just have to hit the bn button twice (for n)

THX! how could I not understand n = bn twice !!!

is there also a nicer looking (numeric) option for the battery icon?
    10-09-08 09:07 AM
    works on the 8330, very cool
    10-13-08 03:33 PM
    works on the 8330, very cool
    Great! glad to hear it.
    10-13-08 03:48 PM
    I see that others have the 8320 8310 8300 but not the 8330 are they all the same?
    10-15-08 03:14 AM
    [QUOTE=samsams;811765]

THX! how could I not understand n = bn twice !!!

is there also a nicer looking (numeric) option for the battery icon?

I think the "n = bn twice" must be a man thing, some kinda geek speak? A girl wud not obfuscate the issue in such a manner! <giggles> Nope on the battery gitchy... There shud be one but I've not found it !
    Tell yer wife or GF to visit me at A fun-filled women's magazine for the young at heart.
    10-15-08 08:53 AM
    no it doesn't seem to work with the pearl?
    10-16-08 08:15 AM
    ok..hitting it twice worked, but the font is black? Hard to see! This really doesn't matter anyways...why would you want to the the numbers .vs bars?
    10-16-08 08:21 AM
    ok..hitting it twice worked, but the font is black? Hard to see! This really doesn't matter anyways...why would you want to the the numbers .vs bars?

The BARS are VERY insensitive. You got 5 bars, right? With NUMBERS you get from about -40 to -120 that is a range of 80, right? a change of only THREE cud save yer life in an emergency if you cud see it. Wanna DIE, or have a friend DIE cuz you cud not SEE how to hold yer phone in a weak signal area ? Think about it. Moving the phone or lifting it up cud make the signal TWICE as strong (3 dB) or FOUR times as strong (6 dB). Think about it?
    10-16-08 12:10 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I played around with it. Initially, I couldn't see the numbers due to a dark background. I changed that, and I could read the numbers, although they are very small. Cool feature though. Thanks!

ps: If someone uses this feature and your bars disappear, it is likely due to the coloring of the numbers. Switch to a lighter background and you'll see them.
    10-16-08 05:47 PM
    on the mac theme the numbers turn black and i cant see them..
    10-16-08 11:42 PM
    also make sure u dont have a black background on ur phone cause u wont be able to see the numbers . i made that mistake. u can photoshop a white mark at the top where the meter is on the screen thats what i did.
    10-17-08 02:42 AM
    Thanks for this tip Linda! It's great!

Why did my phone change back to bars being displayed on the second day? I may need to post elsewhere because my phone does seem to be doing some strange things like this. Just last week it was changing the ringer setting on it's own and changing the alarm time. That last one would have gotten me in big trouble if we hadn't gotten out of class early that day (A rarity!). I didn't remember the phone would have turned itself back on to sound the alarm! Either way, I'm sure the 'prof' would have been impressed for sure...
    If it's a normal memory issue, I'll keep reading around here and figure it out. If there is another fix; please advise!
    Thanks again!
    Dan
    10-22-08 07:21 AM
    The Bar Display will revert after a battery pull or soft reset, just type the sequence again..

-For Pearl users, yes the sequence is diff. than linda's first post.

its: (8) key 2x, then (9) key 1x, then (L/') key 2x.

think alt + N N M L L

Thanks for the tip again Linda!

i get decent data connection and phone in certain spots in subway, at -100 to
    -120 go figure!

cheers!
    10-22-08 12:52 PM
    Works on the 8220. Great tip

10-24-08 06:05 AM
578 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD