Tried it on my 8110. It din't work.
    07-04-08 11:39 AM
    I found that if you try this with the browser open it does not work. You must be on your home screen for the change to take effect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 09:44 PM
    Cool tip. Thanks.
    I was about to post that it doesn't work on my 8310 w/4.2.2.170, but that's not the case.

As mentioned above, the text is presented in a fine point black font. It's impossible, if not very difficult, to read if the background is dark. Simply switch the backround image/color to view easily.

OP - Thanks again.

08-07-08 07:53 AM
    hey thanks cool feature
    08-07-08 07:56 AM
    oh man i changed it and its all weird. and i tried to change it back and it wont.
    someone help me lol
    08-09-08 08:56 PM
    Would this work on 8310 curve or do you know how I can make the change
    08-09-08 09:09 PM
    Cool tip worked on my pearl now if only I understood dBM and how to use it to take over the world.

08-24-08 11:47 PM
    Am not familiar with the 8830, gess its newer than my 8820? On mine, if you press and hold down the ALT key, then, with the other hand, press the key sequence NMLL, it turns on the 'Signal Power dBM' reading. Then, if I do it a 2nd time, it restores the 5-Bar display. You might try entering the code a 2nd time; maybe it will restore your 5-Bar ??

Ask others here for their advice. There are MANY hi-tech savvy people here, both men and women. If you DO get an answer, plz post it here huh? you cud help OTHER 8830 owners.

Omg that saved my ****, I have a black themed background I was typing "5 Bar" everyway possible on my curve trying to get the bars back.
    08-25-08 06:25 AM
    Thanks! Awesome post.... works great for my 8330 from VZW, however my signal strength is routinely in the -100 range. According to the first post, that signal is dismal and means I should be dropping calls, I toggled back to the bar method - I'm between -3 and 4 bars, numerically I'm between 95 and -105. My calls are crystal clear. Still useful tool -- I figured out a better placement in the room -- closer to window really does boost signal. However, I don't know how accurate the figures in the first post are -- not that I'm in anyway an expert in any shape of form, she seems to know a LOT more about this subject then almost anyone else. Just don't dismay if you see a bad number.
    Last edited by alex1; 08-27-08 at 07:39 PM.
    08-25-08 05:07 PM
    This is cool tried it on my 8830 sprint and it works fine with 3 digits.....great stuff

08-25-08 07:29 PM
    However, I don't know how accurate the figures in the first post are -- not that I'm in anyway an expert in any shape of form, she seems to know a LOT more about this subject then almost anyone else.
    The figures are as accurate as can be expected from an uncalibrated device - good enough for practical use. (I think cellular systems report strength measured at the device rather than reported back from the cell tower which would be calibrated).

As for what Linda Anne knows... reading between the lines, there might be one or two other CB members with similar knowledge of RF engineering. She probably knows more than the other 300,000 put together - and I think she knows how to use it hands-on. Gets my respect every time.
    08-26-08 02:54 PM
    The figures are as accurate as can be expected from an uncalibrated device - good enough for practical use. (I think cellular systems report strength measured at the device rather than reported back from the cell tower which would be calibrated).

As for what Linda Anne knows... reading between the lines, there might be one or two other CB members with similar knowledge of RF engineering. She probably knows more than the other 300,000 put together - and I think she knows how to use it hands-on. Gets my respect every time.

I thank you for the above; you are very kind, and I am blushing. At one time I worked as a NASA Consultant, and designed RF hardware for the Space Shuttle and the Voyager Deep Space Probe.
    08-27-08 07:11 PM
    I thank you for the above; you are very kind, and I am blushing. At one time I worked as a NASA Consultant, and designed RF hardware for the Space Shuttle and the Voyager Deep Space Probe.
    Holy s**t. I knew this chick was knowledgeable, but godd*** - we've got a certified expert here. That is awesome. and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this sort of incredible post. I love detailed info and this is one heck of a thread. I really enjoy understanding the details of whatever I'm doing. I think it was Eintein that said, "life is in the details." Linda Anne, you are the Goddess of Crackberry and give my BB details to enjoy, thanks
    08-27-08 07:39 PM
    let me amend my post from a little while ago-- I don't want anyone to think I doubt the ACCURAY of Linda's first post information. What I mean is, I don't know how accurate the bar system is - as another poster stated the bars indicate the signal strengh, not the device strength, so, if you want a reliable and accurate diagnostic of how your bb is performing the numeric display is wonderful.
    08-27-08 07:44 PM
    Cool tip worked on my pearl now if only I understood dBM and how to use it to take over the world.

The term "dBM" is decibels referenced to a 1 milliwatt signal level, hence the "dB" and the "M." Using base 10 logs, the conversion from power, in watts, to dBM is given by 10 X log [(power)/.001] Here, log is base 10, power is in watts, and the .001 is the reference level of 1 milliwatt. Thus, as a simple example, a signal power of 1 watt equates to +30 dBM. Naturally, if you take the anti-log you convert back from dBM to watts.

Cell signals are FAR FAR below 1 milliwatt. So, since they are way BELOW, the power level is expressed as a negative number. Make sense? A signal of -100 dBM is 10 dB WEAKER than a signal of -90 dBM. In terms of raw signal power, power DOUBLES for each 3 dB RISE, or HALVES for each 3 dB FALL. So a signal of -97 dBM (for example), is TWICE the power, in watts, of a -100 dBM signal. By the same token, a -100 dBM signal is 1/2 the power of a -97 dBM signal. Make sense now, maybe? <g>

As the technology matures, with better cell antennas, receiver sensitivity, bandwidth reduction, and improved modulation schemes, newer phones will perform even better than now, and may well work reliably below -100 dBM. However, reception of voice "chit chat" will always require the signal to be above the thermal noise floor of -174 dBM/Hz. To the best of my knowledge, only repetitive data streams can be recovered from below the thermal noise floor using a process known as integration. This is how data is received from deep space probes so far out from our solar system that their transmissions are buried deep in the noise.
    08-27-08 07:54 PM
    Linda Anne - Thank you for such a thorough, easy-to-grasp, and useful explanation of cell signals. This is one of the best threads I've read lately. (Maybe I missed my calling - physics is so cool.)

You are one of the many people who make CB an incredibly valuable resource. The more I read, the more I learn. And as Schoolhouse Rock says, "knowledge is power!"
    08-27-08 08:39 PM
    Hmm... I hadn't considered the bandwidth aspects of thermal noise, but taking standard 200kHz GSM spacing as bandwidth that would put receiver noise in current equipment about -120dBm.

For the lurkers, -100dBm means your current cellphone antenna (50 Ohm) is delivering around 2 microvolts (millionths of a volt) into the receiver when it starts to lose the signal, and noise level will be about 0.2 microvolts. 10x is a reasonable margin for mass production so don't expect to get much better with existing systems.
    08-28-08 07:51 AM
    I tried this on my 8830 but I rarely get a number. Instead, what I see is a square R. I was hoping this would help me diagnose a problem that I have in my office. I have 5 bars, connectivity to the net, but can't receive or make a voice call. Any suggestions would be appreciated as Sprint doesn't seem to have a good handle on the problem, yet.
    08-28-08 11:21 AM
    Mine just stays at -8 or -9 all the time. I guess I have the anti-signal...
    08-28-08 12:01 PM
    WOOT WOOT that's awesome! some theme's have an issue with it, but meh its still damn cool
    08-28-08 12:24 PM
    WOW thanks for the tip. never even heard of being able to do this. Your Awesome!!! Works nicely on my 8310
    08-28-08 12:33 PM
    I tried this on my 8830 but I rarely get a number. Instead, what I see is a square R. I was hoping this would help me diagnose a problem that I have in my office. I have 5 bars, connectivity to the net, but can't receive or make a voice call. Any suggestions would be appreciated as Sprint doesn't seem to have a good handle on the problem, yet.
    Try a theme with a smaller font. It sounds like you're getting numbers that are cut off. Also, with a CDMA device the highest reading you'll get is -80 at full bars. GSM devices will go higher--I've seen mine go to -45 in GSM mode, but never above -80 in CDMA mode.
    08-29-08 05:43 PM
    Try a theme with a smaller font. It sounds like you're getting numbers that are cut off. Also, with a CDMA device the highest reading you'll get is -80 at full bars. GSM devices will go higher--I've seen mine go to -45 in GSM mode, but never above -80 in CDMA mode.
    Well that answeres my question. Quick question though I was reading and I read that you can check how many bars you have on your conectitiy to the net connection. Is that possible for the 8830 WE edition?

Thanks!
    Last edited by forbidden1; 08-30-08 at 02:36 AM.
    08-30-08 02:34 AM
    Question: I may be using some of the wrong terminology here, but you can probably cut thru my ignorance and understand my question.... Is the phone signal the same signal used for internet connection? If I have a low signal (-107 dbm) and phone calls are cutting in and out would that mean a slow browsing experience? AND does a weak signal use more battery - does the BB do anything to try and boost signal or change towers or aything to get a better signal?

08-31-08 11:13 PM
    A signal of -107 is generally considered not usable. Yes, it would definitely be the cause of phone calls cutting off. If you're in an Ev-DO coverage area, a signal that weak cause your phone to drop to 1X and still have trouble holding a connection. This also contributes to battery drain.
    09-01-08 12:20 AM
578 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD