what exactly is the purpose of this? will it work on my storm 9530 and what will be the benefits?
    I take it you didn't read the first post regarding exactly what this is what it does?
    06-18-10 09:01 AM
    Any 9700 users get a signal stronger than -70 dBm? My signal has not been higher than this, regardless of my relationship to the tower.
    Yea, 2G (GSM) is a single narrow-band channel, and 3G is a wideband channel that also allows for signal aggregation, so in short, GSM and UMTS are different systems that handle the received radio signal differently.

On the BlackBerry there's the possibility to see both, the aggregated signal, and the individual channel strength. But the RIM OS only gives the ability to see the aggregated signal, which seems to be capped at -70dBm for some reason. If you want to see the individual channel strength for 3G, you can download my app on your BlackBerry browser at cellumap.com/ota It will show you both. When you click the "send data" button, the info you are seeing on your phone will be uploaded to my server and then be viewable on the website Cellumap Cellular Coverage Maps

Here's an example. See the aggregate channel strength is capped at -70dBm but the actual channel strength is -43dBm

06-18-10 12:12 PM
    Yea, 2G (GSM) is a single narrow-band channel, and 3G is a wideband channel that also allows for signal aggregation, so in short, GSM and UMTS are different systems that handle the received radio signal differently.

On the BlackBerry there's the possibility to see both, the aggregated signal, and the individual channel strength. But the RIM OS only gives the ability to see the aggregated signal, which seems to be capped at -70dBm for some reason. If you want to see the individual channel strength for 3G, you can download my app on your BlackBerry browser at cellumap.com/ota It will show you both. When you click the "send data" button, the info you are seeing on your phone will be uploaded to my server and then be viewable on the website Cellumap Cellular Coverage Maps

Here's an example. See the aggregate channel strength is capped at -70dBm but the actual channel strength is -43dBm

Kudos to you RR, that's a fantastic app. I've been using it recently to help with an issue where I am. Only thing it's missing is the ability to display data speed.
    06-18-10 12:25 PM
    Kudos to you RR, that's a fantastic app. I've been using it recently to help with an issue where I am. Only thing it's missing is the ability to display data speed.
    Thanks, yea, glad you like it. Cellumap is growing slowly. I think it takes some time to figure it out. I'm an engineer and I made the program myself, so to me it's all natural, but I guess to a "normal" person seeing it for the first time may be confusing

I thought about including a data speed-test as well, but decided against it for right now. Maybe in a future version. ...oh, by the way, if anyone has any comments/suggestions about Cellumap, put them in this thread.
    06-18-10 12:42 PM
    Ok took me a while to figure this out on my storm but here's how I did it. First I changed my left convience key to virtual keyboard then I changed my keyboard to full keyboard n typed in ! , " " and walla presto chango. Ohh n this was all done in portrait mode n not landscape. Hope this helps the storm folks having trouble

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    MrL2u likes this.
    06-25-10 01:28 AM
    This is a pretty cool trick, albeit a little pointless

06-27-10 03:06 PM

If you're ever in an area with a weak signal, and needed to make a call, being able to quickly find the spot where you'll be successful will bring the point home. Besides, I hate the silly bars on my screen.

Posted from my �berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 04:54 AM
    Signal bars is a rough estimate, like your gas gauge saying you have 1/3 tank.
    Signal strength in dBm is more exact, like your gas gauge saying you have exactly 5.7 gallons.
    06-28-10 01:32 PM
    Works great with my BB 8530...it does indeed show the difference between when holding the phone and when its just sitting on a table.

This is not pointless in the least little bit...makes you a bit anal about getting a quick, and accurate signal strength reading but if you can't stand dropped calls and/or you have an important call that has to get through and you want to be in the right place for the best signal, then this is an invaluable trick.
    Last edited by HedoBum; 06-28-10 at 09:00 PM.
    06-28-10 08:54 PM
    so how do I do it in 9550?
    07-01-10 08:45 PM
    so how do I do it in 9550?
    Ok took me a while to figure this out on my storm but here's how I did it. First I changed my left convience key to virtual keyboard then I changed my keyboard to full keyboard n typed in ! , " " and walla presto chango. Ohh n this was all done in portrait mode n not landscape. Hope this helps the storm folks having trouble

gr8 screen name BTW.
    07-01-10 09:04 PM
    Does This Work on The Storm 2 becuse ALT Makes the Keys ON Keyboard Go To NUMBERS.
    07-05-10 04:24 AM
    Does This Work on The Storm 2 becuse ALT Makes the Keys ON Keyboard Go To NUMBERS.
    Yup, just follow the same instructions as for the Storm.
    07-06-10 01:41 AM
    So does that mean "-77 dBM" is the strongest signal???
    07-18-10 12:31 PM
    i love this feature with blackberry, RIM really makes everything possible just takes a little research to find what you are looking for
    07-18-10 12:51 PM
    So does that mean "-77 dBM" is the strongest signal???
    For 3G -70 is the strongest displayed.
    07-18-10 06:46 PM
    I love this tip. Alas, the number that shows is way too small for me to read.
    07-19-10 09:06 AM
    I love this tip. Alas, the number that shows is way too small for me to read.
    +1...

Too small to be truly useful, but useful nonetheless in those areas where it might be critical to know your signal strength.
    07-19-10 12:19 PM

Thank you, finally able to get it to work on my screen
    08-17-10 03:27 PM
    Great info dude! But I cldn't get any lower thn -77dBm on my 8520, is that the strongest?

08-24-10 02:46 PM
    Great info dude! But I cldn't get any lower thn -77dBm on my 8520, is that the strongest?

-70 is as low (best signal) as it gets
    08-24-10 03:07 PM
    -70 is as low (best signal) as it gets
    Thanks for the info bro!
    I got -60 when I'm in the post office at my area today, maybe stronger coverage from my service provider..

Anyway, it's fun to look at the number changing instead of only de signal bar..

08-25-10 03:10 AM
    Thanks for the info bro!
    I got -60 when I'm in the post office at my area today, maybe stronger coverage from my service provider..

Anyway, it's fun to look at the number changing instead of only de signal bar..

70 is the best you'll see on 3G, on EDGE I've seen the low 30s.
    08-25-10 04:45 AM
    Never mind found previous post about Storm num lock ! , " "

Works, but black number with white border is a little hard to read

I had it working earlier but then in adding an application my bb9530 upgraded to version5.0.0.328 (platform 4.2.0.128). Can you advise how you change from the 5 Bars to the dbm version? Appreciate it..
    09-08-10 10:11 PM
    I had it working earlier but then in adding an application my bb9530 upgraded to version5.0.0.328 (platform 4.2.0.128). Can you advise how you change from the 5 Bars to the dbm version? Appreciate it..
    I'm sorry. I have a BB 8820. Yes, it is still working after all these years! I have no clue about what changes RIM has made to their code. When I originally published the article about "convert 5 bar display to signal power in dBM," the way to do it was to hold down the ALT key and type in NMLL. How you make it work on new BB's is beyond me. I know its not what you wanted to hear, but I will be in the same boat as you when I up-grade.
    09-09-10 07:44 AM
578 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD