It works for the pearl. Did it for my 8130

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-08 10:57 PM
    this is neat, thank you! :]

so wait, lower is better?
    a "lower" number is better since it's a negative number. so -70 is better than -80, since it's closer to 0. at least that's the way i understood it...
    03-28-08 11:05 PM
    I originally tried this when this was first posted and it worked fine on my 8300. I tried just now and it wouldn't work. It appears it may depend partially on what kind of theme you are running. I am using the today plus theme. When I try it on the today theme it works fine.
    03-29-08 04:49 AM
    Thanks for the info :smile:

03-29-08 05:25 AM
    this is neat, thank you! :]

so wait, lower is better?
    An easy way to "look" at signal level, in terms of dBM, is to keep in mind that it uses a signal power of 1 milliwatt as a reference level. This is a VERY VERY big signal, and cud even damage some receivers. So, wat you receive from a cell tower will always be MUCH MUCH less. This brings in the "minus" sign as the received signal is LESS than the reference. So, a signal (say) 40 dB (decibels) LESS is way BELOW the 1 milliwatt reference, and at -40 dBM has a power of 0.1 micro watts! Wow, huh? This is tiny, BUT, in the RF world, still BIG. you'll likely never see a cell tower signal as high as -40 dBM unless you climb the tower and wrap your arms around it. Hahhahaha. In all likelihood, your typical signal will be -60 to -120 dBM or worse, or maybe -80 dBM as a kind of "working average." A signal of -80 dBM, (40 dB LESS than -40 dBM), is MUCH lower in power than -40 dBM and, if anyone is interested, is about .00001 micro watts! VERY teensy, huh? Here is a clue to help visualize this EXTREME change in power: Signal power drops ONE-HALF for every 3 dB. So, as -40 dBM = 0.1 micro watts, -43 dBM = .05 micro watts. Clear now? <giggles>

So, wat does all this "mean" and why shud anyone care? Well, in the great scheme of things, its so much "techno babble," and of little concern. BUT, by being able to SEE signal level in dBM, it CUD, in certain situations, SAVE A LIFE. How? Well, if you were in a very weak signal area, say hiking, dirt biking, etc and had to call 911 in an emergency, the dBM reading just might let you find a "hot spot" or at least show you that you might double or quadruple your signal just by holding the phone up with your thumb and forefinger rather than, as usual, wrapping your hand around it and blocking the signal. The all but worthless "5 Bar Display" cannot do this becuz it has no where near the sensitivity. Some might say: "That's an extreme example." I wud agree, but wud not bet my life on it by sticking with "5 Bar." <g>

Oh, for those interested... Typical signal levels in deep space, such as those sent between the Voyager Probe and terrestrial control stations are MUCH weaker than anything mentioned above. In fact they are way below the thermal noise floor and cannot be received in the usual way. However, by making the SIGNALS sent / received REPETITIVE, and therefore NOT random, as NOISE is, signals can be detected 30 dB or more below the thermal noise floor which is at about -174 dBM/Hz. This is how DSN, the NASA "Deep Space Network" manages to work so far out in the cold of interstellar deep space.

So, do me a favor and visit me in "Second Life," huh? My name there is Linda Latte. Its FREE and at Second Life: Official site of the 3D online virtual world Get a nice preview and link at my web: FREE antispam software. Free spam blockers you can download.
    Last edited by linda anne; 03-29-08 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Add information
    03-29-08 08:35 AM
    On my Verizon 8830, Pressing the sequence shows BLANK whereas before pressing it I had a bunch of bars (using BB Today theme, I think)
    03-29-08 10:10 AM
    On my Verizon 8830, Pressing the sequence shows BLANK whereas before pressing it I had a bunch of bars (using BB Today theme, I think)
    Am not familiar with the 8830, gess its newer than my 8820? On mine, if you press and hold down the ALT key, then, with the other hand, press the key sequence NMLL, it turns on the 'Signal Power dBM' reading. Then, if I do it a 2nd time, it restores the 5-Bar display. You might try entering the code a 2nd time; maybe it will restore your 5-Bar ??

Ask others here for their advice. There are MANY hi-tech savvy people here, both men and women. If you DO get an answer, plz post it here huh? you cud help OTHER 8830 owners.
    03-29-08 10:24 AM
    I tried this on the pearl 8130 and it did not work. Maybe because of its different keyboard.

03-29-08 10:24 AM
    I tried this on the pearl 8130 and it did not work. Maybe because of its different keyboard.

Read thru this entire thread. There are several real "Pearls" out there in the metaverse who have got it to work on their gitchies. <G>
    03-29-08 10:26 AM
    Sorry, I didn't see other posts. Yes it does work! Thanks for the tip.

03-29-08 10:29 AM
    Sorry, I didn't see other posts. Yes it does work! Thanks for the tip.

03-29-08 10:35 AM
    One thing I found is that my 8320 Curve does not remember the setting after a battery pull. So I added a text note to my BB that lists the command to use to put it back.
    03-29-08 01:37 PM
    For those showing a blank space when doing the conversion, is your background the same color as your usual text? My dbM reading is barely readable since it is in black and my background is nearly black. This could be your problem.
    03-29-08 04:08 PM
    I'm trying this on my Pearl and I can't get it to type anything but 89 and then a comma, because alt makes it type the numbers.
    03-29-08 07:00 PM
    OK...it works if you type the N twice, M once, L twice. Never mind.
    03-29-08 07:11 PM
    Good looks on this...

03-30-08 01:29 AM
    This is a cool tip

Last edited by cuban_dudeca; 05-03-08 at 03:01 PM.
    03-30-08 09:42 AM
    i did a battery pull because Barry was being a B & when it turned back on, the bars were back & i had to change it again.

anyone else have that issue?
    03-30-08 03:07 PM
    Yeah... I had same issue when I did soft reset , the bars came back on.... Just repeat steps again and Cuban_ dude, yeah it does work on the pearl

<<<< --- proof it does

03-30-08 09:08 PM
    I have crossbar theme on and wheni did this on the main screen the reading is in black and its hard to see as opposed to when I have the bars its white. Is there any way to change this?

03-30-08 11:29 PM
    Thanks for this trick I like the way that looks.

03-31-08 01:29 AM
    On my 8830 my signal strength ranges from -80 @ five bars and -256 @ no signal. I use an Enterpreise theme and it shows it in three digits.
    Thanks for the tip btw, I like using it.

03-31-08 07:03 AM
    tried it instantly..bless
    03-31-08 10:41 AM
    thanks for sharing that! works good with my 8300
    03-31-08 07:53 PM
    Yet another reason this place ROCKS! That is why it wasn't showing up on my Pearl, the background is black......
    03-31-08 08:27 PM
578 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD