Thanks! Got it. Shoulda done my research first.
    11-27-08 01:23 PM
    on the storm :

open the keyboard in landscape mode .
    press and hold the !?123 key untill it locks then release it .
    then type :

! , " "

those are the same keys as

N M L L

you just dont have to hold the alt button on a storm it holds itself....

Still not working for me... is there a specific mode I need to open up qwerty keyboard in?
    11-28-08 12:06 AM
    From the home screen, hit the menu key (may have to do it 2x), highlight "show keyboard". Type as per the above instructions.
    11-28-08 05:35 AM
    Holy crap. I got -256. It's amazing the range I can go, too. I can move it slightly on my desk and go from -256 to -85.
    12-06-08 02:43 AM
    Thanks for the tip. Brains and cartoon beauty!
    12-06-08 06:14 PM
    Thank you!
    12-06-08 06:34 PM
    How awesome is this?! I get tired of staring at the bars all the time. Thanks so much - you just made me wiser!
    12-06-08 07:52 PM
    Great!!! it works on pearl flip 8220 the same way than any other pearl.

12-06-08 11:55 PM
    Still not working for me... is there a specific mode I need to open up qwerty keyboard in?
    Works just fine here. Start at the home screen and turn the storm to switch it to landscape mode. Hit the menu button and click "Show Keyboard" then try it from there.
    12-07-08 12:33 AM
    i'm a newbie and saw this tip. how to keep it perm ?? my curve keeps going back to the "bars".

ATT "no bars in many places"
    12-08-08 11:52 PM
    Works brilliantly on the BB 9000 Bold...thats pretty cool
    12-09-08 06:56 AM
    This is a great alternative to boring bars. Thanks for this.
    12-09-08 02:08 PM
    Worked on my Bold.
    12-11-08 09:20 PM
    This is a great alternative to boring bars. Thanks for this.
    Friday, December 12 2008, @ 5:30 AM (-0800 GMT)

Yer right, they ARE boring! hahahaha I think there is a way to convert the battery charge to read in percentage, but I have not found it.

Have a happy BB day! If you ever join "Second Life," the 3D metaverse on-line, look me up. I am Linda Latte there.
    12-12-08 07:33 AM
    i'm a newbie and saw this tip. how to keep it perm ?? my curve keeps going back to the "bars".

ATT "no bars in many places"
    Hmmmmmmmm, have never heard that before? I've only seen the bars go away if you remove the battery, then you have to re-enter the code sequence to get a signal power readout once agn. By any chance, when this happens, is yer Curve "re-setting?" My only guess. Could you have a dirty battery connection? I use a pencil eraser to clean mine on occasion.
    12-12-08 07:37 AM
    love the concept, but is there any way to get the dBM numbers to read in white on the home screen while still being black on the options screen?
    12-12-08 10:57 AM
    love the concept, but is there any way to get the dBM numbers to read in white on the home screen while still being black on the options screen?
    Friday, December 12 2008, @ 9:41 AM (-0800 GMT)

nope, not that i know of... you wud have to be able to edit the color of the numbers used to display signal strength.

we all "make choices" in life. now it is yer turn? <giggles>

visit me in "Second Life" the on-line virtual world

Linda Latte
    12-12-08 11:44 AM
    There's no ALT key on any of the Storm's keyboards...
    12-12-08 11:55 AM
    There's no ALT key on any of the Storm's keyboards...
    on the storm :

open the keyboard in landscape mode .
    press and hold the !?123 key untill it locks then release it .
    then type :

! , " "

those are the same keys as

N M L L

you just dont have to hold the alt button on a storm it holds itself....
    12-12-08 11:57 AM
    thanks, that worked! cool.
    12-12-08 01:01 PM
    I tried this on my 8330. The 'digital' display always show up in a small black font which is impossible to see on a dark wallpaper. Any ideas on changing the color and size?
    12-15-08 08:06 PM
    The term "dBM" is decibels referenced to a 1 milliwatt signal level, hence the "dB" and the "M." Using base 10 logs, the conversion from power, in watts, to dBM is given by 10 X log [(power)/.001] Here, log is base 10, power is in watts, and the .001 is the reference level of 1 milliwatt. Thus, as a simple example, a signal power of 1 watt equates to +30 dBM. Naturally, if you take the anti-log you convert back from dBM to watts.

Cell signals are FAR FAR below 1 milliwatt. So, since they are way BELOW, the power level is expressed as a negative number. Make sense? A signal of -100 dBM is 10 dB WEAKER than a signal of -90 dBM. In terms of raw signal power, power DOUBLES for each 3 dB RISE, or HALVES for each 3 dB FALL. So a signal of -97 dBM (for example), is TWICE the power, in watts, of a -100 dBM signal. By the same token, a -100 dBM signal is 1/2 the power of a -97 dBM signal. Make sense now, maybe? <g>

As the technology matures, with better cell antennas, receiver sensitivity, bandwidth reduction, and improved modulation schemes, newer phones will perform even better than now, and may well work reliably below -100 dBM. However, reception of voice "chit chat" will always require the signal to be above the thermal noise floor of -174 dBM/Hz. To the best of my knowledge, only repetitive data streams can be recovered from below the thermal noise floor using a process known as integration. This is how data is received from deep space probes so far out from our solar system that their transmissions are buried deep in the noise.
    Linda Anne,

I am a new Blackberry Bold owner and I have stumbled upon this fantastic resource known as crackberry. As with the site, I stumbled upon this thread and your post. I must admit that this post alone has really struck me and drove me to sign up as a member here. It's fantastic to know that such knowledgeable individuals such as yourself frequent these forums. As a technology coordinator for my company it such a great feeling to know the potential that resides within this resource to find fantastic information when needed and not have to wade through the 'fluff' out there.

Thank you for your interest and contributions to the community.
    12-16-08 12:52 PM
    Linda Anne,

I am a new Blackberry Bold owner and I have stumbled upon this fantastic resource known as crackberry. As with the site, I stumbled upon this thread and your post. I must admit that this post alone has really struck me and drove me to sign up as a member here. It's fantastic to know that such knowledgeable individuals such as yourself frequent these forums. As a technology coordinator for my company it such a great feeling to know the potential that resides within this resource to find fantastic information when needed and not have to wade through the 'fluff' out there.

Thank you for your interest and contributions to the community.
    Thank you for your comments. I am honored and humbled. The whole thing here is that this is a "person to person" thing, and not done to make money. It's just help others if you can, and I did that, as others do, as best I can using my training as an engineer.
    12-16-08 03:00 PM
    Hi all,

New to crackberry just this week with my brannew Tmo 8320 Curve. Technonerd IT geek dude and learning very fast from all the knowledgable users on here!! Started by backing up my data and upgrading to latest AT&T 110 release. Went from 9 meg free out of box to over 27 meg free mem. Yippee! (course i took off a ton o stuff but...)

Anywho, something I noticed about changing from bars to dBm. If WiFi is enabled (I use UMA at home) then the home screen signal reading reflects the WiFi signal as expected. But if I alt-shift-h and look at signal strength there, it is always -85dBm. When I force the BB to use the Mobile Network, then the home screen and the help screen both switch to mobile network signal strength...inneresting

now on to read other forums and figure out tuff stuff like how to switch from audible profile to vibrate w/o navigating thru menus...i'm a hotkey/shortcut addict...

diggin this site! hoping to become hopelessly addicted in due time...
    12-19-08 10:47 PM
    has anyone figured out how to make this bigger
    12-26-08 04:36 PM
578 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD