Anyone else having issues getting .411 installed? I'm using DM 4.5 on Windows XP (via VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X), a setup that has worked for me for every other OS upgrade. I had the Rogers 4.6.0.303 (which had brutal battery life) installed, and I was about to downgrade back to .282, which is the best 4.6 I've found so far, but then I stumbled on this .411.

Anyway, the first time I tried to install, it did a backup, and then rebooted the phone, saying "Connecting to boot ROM". It would then show a white screen, and immediately reboot again. After the third or fourth time, DM would say it had failed to connect.

I tried to uninstall the .411 package, reboot, and reinstall the .411 package (in Windows), and then suddenly my DM would tell me there were no available upgrades for my device when I plugged it in, like it wasn't even there.

Now, I've got it seeing 5.0 as an upgrade, but it's doing the Connecting to boot ROM loop again. I've tried rebooting Windows and the BB but neither seem to work.

Anyone have either a fix for this, or a way to use the Mac DM to install 5.0? I know it stores OS's somewhere, because it alerted me to 4.6.0.303 being available, downloaded and installed it.
    12-25-09 08:50 AM
    Hope you backed everything up. Try wiping with bbsak and reinstalling again.
    12-25-09 09:06 AM
    That's the thing... My BB is fine. Once it fails it boots up in 4.6.0.282... It never gets far enough to actually begin erasing/installing anything!
    12-25-09 09:22 AM
    Anyone have any idea?
    12-25-09 05:33 PM
    try updating your dm to 5.0 i did that, and that resolved my problem
    12-25-09 10:32 PM
    Try installing without the battery in. Once it attempts to load apps itll halt, and you'll need to replace it back.
    12-26-09 03:52 AM
    try updating your dm to 5.0 i did that, and that resolved my problem
    Tried that... but I'll try w/o the battery and see how that goes. I'm leaving the country for 10 days and leaving the BB at home, so I'll try when I get back and let ya know how it goes.
    12-26-09 05:53 AM
    Tried with no battery and that didn't get any further. Rather than trying to connect to the boot rom, it loads up a no battery screen and sits there... And apploader doesn't see it at all.

I've since uninstalled that .411 and installed the Bell Mobility one, and I'm having the exact same issue. Tried different USB ports, anything I can think of. I'm wondering if I boot up in Boot Camp using Win 7 64bit, if that'd make any difference (vs. Win XP in VMWare Fusion)

Anyone have any suggestions?
    01-20-10 10:13 PM
    BigYellow:

I have the same setup as you (XP via VMWare Fusion) and I ended up having to do it on a computer with XP as the OS. Seems there's problems with the virtual USB port.

Cheers
    01-21-10 10:24 AM
    So weird. When I wiped it with JLCmder (the first time I was trying to install the .411 beta) and then tried to install .411 it did this same thing, but when I decided to go back to 4.6.0.282, the install went without a hitch (as it did with every 5.0 beta and 4.6 release prior to .411).

Is this virtual USB port issue an issue with .411 specifically?

I guess I can try Win7 in Bootcamp tonight... Dunno how that'll go but we'll find out. Apple did release a Win7 support update for Bootcamp recently so I'll install that and try the update and report back...
    01-21-10 07:41 PM
    You cannot install OS 5.0 on a version of Desktop Manager lower than version 5. Older versions of desktop manager cannot install OS with higher version numbers. Install DM 5.0, reinstall the OS you want, delete vendor.xml and disconnect from the internet. Then it should work.
    01-22-10 12:29 AM
    You cannot install OS 5.0 on a version of Desktop Manager lower than version 5. Older versions of desktop manager cannot install OS with higher version numbers. Install DM 5.0, reinstall the OS you want, delete vendor.xml and disconnect from the internet. Then it should work.
    Not true.
    I've used DM4.6 to load different OS 5.0 on an 8900, 9000 and a 9700.
    I like it because it's stable at upgrading my OS.
    01-22-10 02:56 AM
    Also not the problem, because I've tried installing this OS using DM 4.6, 4.7 and 5.0...
    01-22-10 06:01 AM
    Ok so I booted up in Win7 using bootcamp and installed it with DM 5.0. Works great. And damn is it fast!! Even the 3G is noticeably faster loading pages etc. Hopefully the battery life is improved over .282.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-10 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD