Hi All,

I will be traveling to France this summer, and I wanted to know if blackberry messenger would work if I unlocked my 9700 and used a local prepaid SIM Card with a data plan. Would bbm still work as usual? Would my bbm pin be the same or different? I am currently subscribed to AT&T in the US and would like to avoid large roaming fees. Can anyone suggest any good prepaid data sim cards in France that would work with bbm? Orange or SFR? Please advise. Thanks!
    05-08-10 08:04 PM
    Hi All,

I will be traveling to France this summer, and I wanted to know if blackberry messenger would work if I unlocked my 9700 and used a local prepaid SIM Card with a data plan. Would bbm still work as usual? Would my bbm pin be the same or different? I am currently subscribed to AT&T in the US and would like to avoid large roaming fees. Can anyone suggest any good prepaid data sim cards in France that would work with bbm? Orange or SFR? Please advise. Thanks!
    Are you planning on using any voice services while you're there? AT&T has data roaming available: AT&T International - Wireless from AT&T

Data Global Add-Ons for BlackBerry�, iPhone™, Smartphone, and other devices*

*Quick Messaging and Touch devices

Keep up with email and browse the Web with your BlackBerry, iPhone++, Smartphone, and other devices* when you travel abroad. AT&T has created Data Global Add-Ons with lower rates in more than 90 countries. Discounted Countries are subject to change. For a complete list of discounted countries visit att.com/dataconnectglobal for current information.
    There are four packages available:

* $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    * $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    * $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    * $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within more than 90 countries

*Quick Messaging and Touch devices

20 MB Data Global Add-On
    Overage rate is $0.005/KB within the more than 90 discounted countries.
    Rate outside these discounted countries is $0.0195/KB.
    Does not include data usage within the U.S. Qualified domestic plan required.
    Call 1-800-331-0500 to sign up now.

50 MB Data Global Add-On
    Rate outside these discounted countries is $0.010/KB.1

100 MB Data Global Add-On

200 MB Data Global Add-On
    If you're just going to use data (BBM, Yahoo IM, etc, email, internet), then this may be a simpler option if not the absolute cheapest.

Also, your PIN would remain the same. Obviously, your number would change (pretty sure you know that).
    05-08-10 11:24 PM
    Thanks! Much appreciated! I'm only looking to use mostly data, so the ATT plan for that looks good. I'll only be using voice services sparingly, only in urgent situations, as I keep in touch mostly through bbm and e-mail.
    05-09-10 06:51 PM
    Does anyone know approximately how much kb a bbm message takes up?
    05-09-10 06:56 PM
    Along the same lines, I will be traveling to NYC this weekend and have a prepaid ATT sim card with the possibility to add an unlimited monthly data plan for 20 bucks. Since I will be using voice on that prepaid line and would like to use BBM as well as email, would this scenario work?

ATT BB 9700 Unlocked
    BIS services set up with the phone on my local account (south america)
    Insert the ATT sim card and get BBM and Mail (via GMAIL APP)
    Use the regular voice minutes off the prepaid line

Leave my south american line inside my wallet and not get murdered with roaming charges since it is going to be a 15 day trip.

Thanks for the help!
    08-03-10 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD