I think I migth have stumbled upon a bug or oversight in the 7.1 OS, either way, it's something weird.

Let me explain:

I have a torch 9810 which I use for both business and personal reasons.
    I also have a 4GB SD card in the phone to store my pictures on.

Lately I noticed that my card was almost full (500MB remaining) and I just couldn't figure out why. I have close to 1000 pictures on the phone and no music.

Thoroughly annoyed by not figuring out what's eating up all that space on my SD card I downloaded 'Rock File Manager' to dig a little deeper. I enabled the 'show hidden files' option and started to dig.

And that's when i found it. A hidden folder (SD CARD -- BlackBerry -- system -- media)
    it contained two files each 1.3GB in size (thumbs124x124.dat and thumbs640x640.dat)
    I figured these were basically the thumbnails you see when you open the picture folder so I wanted to delete them and see what gives. I am however very cautious when it comes to my phone and i wanted to avoid any bad doing so instead of deleting them, i just renamed them (added an 'a' to the end of the filename).

Turned out I was bang on the money, the thumbnails in the picture folder were all blank and my phone started to recreate them.

It also recreated the two files (thumbs124x124.dat and thumbs640x640.dat).
    When it was done their filesizes were 3MB each.

So here's my 'finding'. Apparently the thumbnail files just add in filesize without ever purging the deleted pictures thumbnails, resulting in massive filesizes of the thumbnail databases.

Major bug? Major oversight? you be the judge, all i know is I regained 2.6GB in storage space and my picture viewer has never been faster...
    Last edited by wout000; 07-27-12 at 05:11 AM.
    bobauckland likes this.
    07-27-12 05:01 AM
    Same as it ever was. I've recommended, as well as many others (believe Phill was who I learned it from), to delete those and the BBThumb files regularly.

Once a month would be a good rule of thumbnail.
    wout000 likes this.
    07-27-12 09:44 AM
    Same as it ever was. I've recommended, as well as many others (believe Phill was who I learned it from), to delete those and the BBThumb files regularly.

Once a month would be a good rule of thumbnail.
    While that is the way to cope with this, i'm finding it difficult to believe that the programmers at RIM didn't build in periodic purges/refreshes.
    07-27-12 07:44 PM
    4+ years, 4.2-7.1, and the song remains the same. Imagine having nearly 10k images on your SD.
    07-27-12 08:04 PM
    Actually, there is another place that this bug occurs.

appdata\rim\media (in the blackberry device itself)

in my case, there exist 2 files thumbs640x640.dat and thumbs124x124.dat

hope that helps
    Henry

PS. old thread, same topic
    06-17-13 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD