love this os, rock solid for me. only problem is that it starts up slow after a battery pull.

oh well, i can live with that
    03-06-09 12:23 PM
    love this os, rock solid for me. only problem is that it starts up slow after a battery pull.

oh well, i can live with that

Its slow for me on start up on every OS I ever ran. No big deal.
    03-06-09 12:34 PM
    Following this thread through all of its 40 some pages, no one, to my knowledge, has yet said what the advantage of .237 over .234 is, if any, or the downside to .237 over .234, if any.

My complaints about .234, if any, are 1) battery life, especially when using GPS apps like the ATT Navigator or Google Maps, and 2) some difficulty holding onto a 3G signal, which may be my location--I don't know.

Does anyone know if .237 helps with either of these issues as compared to /.234/ specifically?
    03-06-09 12:43 PM
    Following this thread through all of its 40 some pages, no one, to my knowledge, has yet said what the advantage of .237 over .234 is, if any, or the downside to .237 over .234, if any.

My complaints about .234, if any, are 1) battery life, especially when using GPS apps like the ATT Navigator or Google Maps, and 2) some difficulty holding onto a 3G signal, which may be my location--I don't know.

Does anyone know if .237 helps with either of these issues as compared to /.234/ specifically?
    Try it out and see if it helps out those issue's your having.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 12:48 PM
    Try it out and see if it helps out those issue's your having.

Well, of course, that's always the option. I was hoping that someone here might have already done that (upgraded from .234 to .237) and would save me the trouble, since upgrading the OS, as we all know, is a pain in terms of re-registering the third party apps.

I'm listed here as a CrackBerry newby, but in fact I've been using BBs for 3 years and have gone through probably 30 OS upgrades on different BBs over that period. Once you get to a certain point with an OS, and it is essentially doing the job for you, it's nice to stop upgrading for a while and just enjoy the BB. I had hope that .234 was that point, since it's prety stable and works well, other than the two issues mentioned above.
    03-06-09 12:55 PM
    some difficulty holding onto a 3G signal, which may be my location--I don't know.

none of the OS' thru .245 improved my situation w/ regards to maintaining a 3G signal even when in 5 bar 3G area(s). it would rather frequently lock onto an EDGE signal for no good reason. and then the only way to get back to 3G was to reboot the phone or wait for 30 mins or an hour for it to magically return (again, for no good reason).

sooooo i got tired of waiting for lame OS updates with marginal improvements and decided to debrand my AT&T bold. that allowed me to select 3G only (since AT&T took away that option from me). things have been great ever since. and then you also gain the option to go EDGE only if necessary and get some crazy battery life at the expense of losing simultaneous voice/data. in the end debranding is just a great thing imho.
    03-06-09 01:36 PM
    ...decided to debrand my AT&T bold. that allowed me to select 3G only (since AT&T took away that option from me). things have been great ever since. and then you also gain the option to go EDGE only if necessary and get some crazy battery life at the expense of losing simultaneous voice/data. in the end debranding is just a great thing imho.
    Great answer, for me, at least, because I've been thinking of debranding it, too. But--how do you do that, and doesn't it cause other major problems with the BB or with the ATT service? From what I've read here on other threads, debranding can potentially "brick" the phone. And I've also read that the programs used to debrand may represent security problems for the PC you are using to run them.
    03-06-09 02:16 PM
    Great answer, for me, at least, because I've been thinking of debranding it, too. But--how do you do that, and doesn't it cause other major problems with the BB or with the ATT service? From what I've read here on other threads, debranding can potentially "brick" the phone. And I've also read that the programs used to debrand may represent security problems for the PC you are using to run them.
    how do you do that? -- gonna have to Google for that. its an easy way to upset the mods. i Google'd and figured it out.

major problems w/ BB and/or AT&T service? -- LOL, heck no!! causes zero problems. actually seems to improve the speed of the device in my opinion.

potentially brick BB? -- well yes you potentially can, but you can do that upgrading w/ beta os' as well. you just do your homework and read a lot and it will be a piece of cake.
    03-06-09 02:38 PM
    how do you do that? -- gonna have to Google for that. its an easy way to upset the mods. i Google'd and figured it out.

major problems w/ BB and/or AT&T service? -- LOL, heck no!! causes zero problems. actually seems to improve the speed of the device in my opinion.

potentially brick BB? -- well yes you potentially can, but you can do that upgrading w/ beta os' as well. you just do your homework and read a lot and it will be a piece of cake.
    OK--I've just done all that in the past several hours and am ready to take the plunge. I'm trying to convince myself that it's really no more risky than 1) wiping a BB or 2) installing a new OS, both of which I've done multiple times without problems.

One dumb question--I assume the unbranding also unlocks the phone? I suppose, by definition, it would have to unlock it.

The last question, maybe not quite as dumb, is: Is there /any/ downside at all to a successful unbranding of an ATT phone in terms of function or support?
    03-06-09 10:21 PM
    OK--I've just done all that in the past several hours and am ready to take the plunge. I'm trying to convince myself that it's really no more risky than 1) wiping a BB or 2) installing a new OS, both of which I've done multiple times without problems.

One dumb question--I assume the unbranding also unlocks the phone? I suppose, by definition, it would have to unlock it.

The last question, maybe not quite as dumb, is: Is there /any/ downside at all to a successful unbranding of an ATT phone in terms of function or support?

There's some chatter on this thread on unbranding... here's a jump to post #111 on this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/tur...ml#post1361752

Note the word "this" in the first line of text which is another link to a how to.
    03-07-09 01:24 AM
    There's some chatter on this thread on unbranding...

Note the word "this" in the first line of text which is another link to a how to.
    Thanks. That is a good thread and additional link on this issue. It covers most, if not all, of the issues involved in debranding.

Apparently all you really gain from debranding (using generic VSM) with ATT Bolds is the ability to select the 2G or 3G option, but what you lose with the generic VSM is the free access to ATT Wi-Fi along with the WAP settings. And even if you manually restore the ATT WAP settings, you still don't get the free ATT Wi-Fi accessibility. (Maybe I'm missing something here.) There may be some way to rewrite the ATT VSM to fix the 3G issue and keep the Wi-Fi option intact, but that is beyond my current skill level.
    03-07-09 03:30 PM
    So I've seen several comments about issues with voice dial on 237 with a bluetooth headset, but is anybody having issues getting their bluetooth to pair with their phone? I can get it to recognize the headset and it pairs for about two seconds before dropping the headset. I have tried deleting the headset and doing the initial pairing over a few times all with the same problem. Other than this, I think 237 is a great build.
    03-07-09 08:12 PM
    I am loving .237 so far. No issues with bluetooth except for how much faster the battery drains with it on than with it disabled... Which I'm pretty sure is standard behavior. When I only turn on the bluetooth a couple times a day (when driving to and from work I usually wear a headset), my battery lasts over a day. I get about 12 hours if I leave bluetooth enabled. My usage was moderate to high all week last week and the bluetooth was the only difference I could find between the days with great battery life and the day it was lousy. No problems staying connected to paired devices. No problems with memory leaks, speed, or performance overall. I'll keep an eye on the .247 thread, but so far, no reason to leave this build.

03-08-09 04:47 AM
    I have no voice mail icon when I have a voice mail since I put in .237. Other than that it's fine and seems like I get the hourglass a lot less.
    03-08-09 06:15 PM
    I have no voice mail icon when I have a voice mail since I put in .237. Other than that it's fine and seems like I get the hourglass a lot less.
    There's a fix:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/v-2...e-mail-165708/
    03-08-09 06:20 PM
    Ya for sure dont wanna call the wrong person
    02-24-10 12:43 PM
641 ... 242526
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD