i'm still running .330, what am I missing out on here?
    12-13-09 02:03 AM
    This build is very stable for me. The biggest difference I notice is the loading time for thumbnails of pictures. This the fastest I've ever seen, basically instant. I have no probs whatsoever and my opera mini beta 2 works like normal wen the proper version is installed. I recommend 100%. Those looking to be convinced, go find something better to do lol. Time u waste waiting to be convinced u could have installed and seen for yourself and downgraded if u so decided.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-09 02:05 AM
    I've have some experience with cell phone radio's and ROM's in the WinMo arena and I wanted to point out a few things that some of you may or may not know.

I've seen so many discussions regarding battery life and things like that and i wanted to make it a point that depending on your geographic location, the battery life will be affected. let me give a few of you an example of this.

1) I had an HTC Touch Pro about a year and a half ago and when i left the DC metro area and went back home to chicago for a few weeks, i noticed that the battery drain in Chicago was significantly worse than here in the DC area. I didn't know what it was but for some reason, my reception was crummy in chicago and i lost a lot of calls. This was on the factory ROM. I turned off the 3G but nothing much really changed.

2) I flashed a different radio stack and it improved my reception and helped on the battery life (3G and EDGE) but when i returned to DC, the results were the opposite of that in Chicago.

Most of the time, depending on the carrier and the service band that it uses as well as the which service bands are within reach (850, 1900 GSM bands), the cell phone responds differently and will consume power in a different way!

If 3G reception is spotty and you leave it on 3G mode, it's always going to look for that 3G signal even when its not available and subsequently kill your battery. Even when i left the phone in EDGE mode, depending on the radio stack and how well it receives reception, this also changes it too.

If any of you want to compare battery life, please also consider your location. DC is not a bigger city than Chicago yet DC has better cell coverage (EDGE and 3G) easing the power consumption whereas in Chicago, 3G speeds might be a tad faster but the signal is not as strong.

Just a few things to consider: sometimes, the radio stack changes with each different revision of these leaks but please keep in mind that your location has a lot of variance. some of you may see improved reception and battery life and others may not. This does not mean this overall ROM version is BAD for EVERYONE, it could just be you.

I know some of you may be thinking that "Hey, this guy's a n00b and it's his first BB that he's ever messed around with". I've used BB's since they had external antenna's and i made a switch to WinMo devices that were highly customizable (take a look at XDA-Developers). When i made the transition, i learned a lot more about ROM's and Radio stacks, etc. I'm sure that the BB's are the same. If any of you are considering specific versions of this ROM to try out, find the one that works for YOU at YOUR specific location. This may help some of you find the "optimal" version for your location.
    12-13-09 02:10 AM
    Going back to T-Mo's stock OS tomorrow. I don't like how the option to combine SMS/Email isn't there in this build, and I'm actually missing some main apps (tasks, memo, etc) that aren't in my applications folder or in the main folder. In any case, I'm just not thrilled about this build, so going back.
    In the main messages app, go to options then inbox options and select the sms checkbox and all the individual emails to include in the main messages app.

12-13-09 02:11 AM
    So far this OS seems very good to me! I had a lot of problems with .415 and went back to .405 but this one seriously rocks.

WIFI very fast 3G also and start up time also.

The BBM whicj came with that OS is 5.0.0 so i had to update manualy to the .54 one but this time it also kept my conversations in BBM during the upgrade.
    Only thing there are diff versions of .54 some with 4.3 M and some with 2.4 M

The batterie seems like as good as .405 but can t really tell yet.

Donno if it s this app but since yesterday in the facebook app some pics are not displayed. But this can also be the facebook app which has an prob.
    12-13-09 03:00 AM
    still rockin my .351 without any problems. although i will say there's a bit of a lag coming out of standby, but i've pinpointed that to berryweather. everything else works great! haven't had so much as one crash since i updated so i've been hesitant to try any of the newer leaks.
    12-13-09 03:28 AM
    still rockin my .351 without any problems. although i will say there's a bit of a lag coming out of standby, but i've pinpointed that to berryweather. everything else works great! haven't had so much as one crash since i updated so i've been hesitant to try any of the newer leaks.
    I've been using BerryWeather since my phone came with the stock OS .321. Since then, I've upgraded to .344, .351, .405, .415, and now .421. I've also experienced the bit of lag of BerryWeather in .351, especially when updating locations other than my own.

So far, I have not noticed that issue anymore from versions .405 and up, so you might want to give it a try now...
    12-13-09 07:20 AM
    Really enjoying this OS so far. Boot time has been the fastest, radio is hands down the best I have used to this point. I was running .415 and I was getting a lot of freezing where I could not do anything for a couple of mins, but I have not had that issue yet. The refresh rate of the pics are instant which is great. The only thing I am really waiting to see is that the battery life is better than .415

12-13-09 07:39 AM
    %%%%%% no one hasnt commented on the 3g yet is it holding up better or is anyone that was having drop calls over 3g is it better with this os???????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
    12-13-09 08:21 AM
    Dude I never had 3G drop calls before and now everything is smooth, yes 3G and everything else, is just Fast...............no problems so far ! Good Luck
    12-13-09 08:28 AM
    Only get 3g problems when the mast is having issues. The more I use this build the happier I am with it. Nimbuzz will not run, everything else runs like a dream

12-13-09 08:47 AM
    Been running now for ~22 hours. I speak more on battery life tonight but here are my apps:

Google Maps
    Google App
    Facebook
    NFL Launcher
    ESPN Launcher
    CNN Launcher
    CB Launcher
    Midnight Pool II
    Quilck Launc (9700 Version)
    AutoStandby
    BB Maps (with ribbon that lets icon show on menu screen and in theme dock)
    BerryWeather
    VVM
    viigo
    speedtest
    yellowpages
    mycast weather
    DocToGo Premium
    PDF To Go
    Spotberry 2.0
    BOLT
    Berry UnitConverter
    Dictionary.com
    BB App World
    Hypaeron Sliq - 9700
    Fopa7 - TW
    9700-Zen (Custom 9700 Theme)

Custom settings that transferred from 415 to 421:

All my email and SMS/MMS messages came across
    All calendar events came across** (see problem report at the end)
    All contacts came across
    Screen brightness @ 10% (this really saves battery life and you cannot tell from 100%)
    BT:Both bonded headsets came across
    Memory:custom settings came across
    Owner:custom settings came across
    Password:custom settings came across
    Phone Options:custom settings came across
    Screen and Keyboard:custom settings came across
    Spell Check:custom settings came across
    Theme:custom settings came across (did have to rearrange icons)

I still had the calendar bug where my "annual - all day - free time" events went from 1 day to 2 day events. After the upgrade and did a Sync and fixed them all in Outlook 2007 followed by another resync.

There seems to be two issues here. DM data not overriding phone data when set to do so and the calendar changes them selves. Over the last few upgrades when I saw this on my phone I played with the DM Sync settings trying to get PC data to override that on the phone. So far it has not worked. Only a Sync, correction in Outlook 2007 and another Sync fixes it. The adjustment I make in Outlook 2007 is only the start time. FOr some reason these type of events get their start time adjusted from 0000 to 0600. Since they are flagged as a 24 hour event they then span 2 days in the calendar. Adjusting the start time of them all (by doing any entry in each series) one at a time (and I have 50) correct the issue.

This may all be due to me having a start of week set to Sunday with day start and end times of 12AM each. I am not sure when the calendar gets put in vs all the settings but if the events come first before custom calendar settings that would explain this.

Boot Time test: 3m 21s. This is about 1 minute faster than what I was getting on 415. This was tested after after the initial boot post upgrade. IMO that particular boot is not applicable to this test since all your apps are pounding the system trying to register etc... My tests are after all my phone settings are confirmed and all my apps properly registered and setup.

So far no issues with general callp, SMS, email(BIS) or just surfing the net.

More to follow!!!
    Last edited by shansmi; 12-13-09 at 09:07 AM.
    12-13-09 08:55 AM
    In the main messages app, go to options then inbox options and select the sms checkbox and all the individual emails to include in the main messages app.

It's already like that, however I still have a separate icon for SMS/MMS, and all my SMS's are in that icon, not messages.
    12-13-09 10:10 AM
    i think im just going to give up on this boot time thing as it just isnt consistent and i cant figure out what it making it go all screwy, next time there is a new OS or an offical release i will start from scratch completely and then download everything i want
    12-13-09 10:37 AM
    i think im just going to give up on this boot time thing as it just isnt consistent and i cant figure out what it making it go all screwy, next time there is a new OS or an offical release i will start from scratch completely and then download everything i want
    That's probably what I would do...it has to be one of your app databases that's getting reloaded when you restore. I have a ****load of apps and I did an apploader update to .421, and my boot time is just around 3 min from popping in the battery until the point that I can make a call.
    12-13-09 11:06 AM
    I think I got it.. .421 isn't Rogers friendly. Boot time is slow and there are a bunch of glitches for no reason. Going back to .415 which was stellar.
    12-13-09 11:07 AM
    It's already like that, however I still have a separate icon for SMS/MMS, and all my SMS's are in that icon, not messages.
    In the main messages app, go to options then inbox options and select what to show in the main messages. If you want them all in one place, select all your email accounts and sms/mms then they will all show in "Messages" You can then go to the "SMS" app, press the blackberry key and hide it.
    12-13-09 11:20 AM
    Boot time for me is 2:21
    12-13-09 11:23 AM
    Everything is running smoothly for me so far. I was running .415 with no issues, and .421 seems just as stable. Battery life is fine (two days, if not more), apps are working (I only use BBM, App World, and TweetGenius), and browser seems about as fast as RIM can make it (which isn't all that fast).

WiFi is also working which I was having issues with prior to .415.
    12-13-09 11:45 AM
    I think I got it.. .421 isn't Rogers friendly. Boot time is slow and there are a bunch of glitches for no reason. Going back to .415 which was stellar.
    i dont have any problems with the new OS yet, and its been the fastest Boot time for me forsure, but then once i try and download a new app or delete one it screws it up and it goes back to like an 6-8 minute boot time, so far it doesnt seem to matter what app it is but loading the newest BBM does forsure, but then when i went and deleted it it didnt go back to the under 2minute boot time......so frustrating.....maybe i have to load everything thru app loader once and never add or delete things
    12-13-09 12:09 PM
    .415 and .421 are better than .405

I cant really tell the difference between .415 and .421
    Prove it! how is it better? Is it better because it has the sms convo bug now?(don't even tell me there is a fix this problem shouldn't even be in this build in the first place)
    apps/themes that used to work flawlessly on previous build have problems with this build?
    picture previews quality sucks and when you select a pic you still have to press 1?

So how is it better? what the battery life and signal is better? what's your proof? Stop giving people false info.
    Last edited by evorc; 12-13-09 at 12:31 PM.
    12-13-09 12:25 PM
    Prove it! how is it better? Is it better because it has the sms convo bug now?(don't even tell me there is a fix this problem shouldn't even be in this build in the first place)
    apps/themes that used to work flawlessly on previous build have problems with this build?
    picture previews quality sucks and when you select a pic you still have to press 1?

So how is it better? what the battery life and signal is better? what's your proof? Stop giving people false info.
    the sms convo bug is only for certain people. I have no idea what causes it specifically.

The OS is pretty solid other then that. So unless youre one of the unlucky few, its not a bad update.

but then again, if its not broke...
    12-13-09 12:53 PM
    The T-Mobile version of Bold 9700 will work with the leaked version of 5.0.0.421 ? Anyone tried this allready?

12-13-09 12:55 PM
    ??????????????????????????????????? Absolutely !
    12-13-09 01:00 PM
    I have been running .421 for a couple of hours now and like most you have reported the build is smooth and snappy. The most important aspect of a new firmware for my is battery life and i am hoping that this one is better if not the same as .415.

For those of you thinking about upgrading or installing this for the first time, i would recommend it. Very very good so far.
    12-13-09 01:15 PM
294 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD