Ok so here's my clarification on the standby/lock.

Holding mute and the A button both do the same thing now. It's sort of a combination of the lock and standby. It instantly turns off the screen and locks the phone. With the old standby it would show a pop-up telling you that the device is entering standby mode and would slowly fade to black. Now it's instant black.

Like standby, most keys will not wake the phone anymore. "Call" "End" "BB Button" and "Back Button" will all wake the phone and display a message that the phone is in standby and you need to press mute to unlock it. ALSO, unlike old standby, any of the number keys on the keyboard will wake the phone. Nothing but the mute button will unlock it though.

The only reason I ever used the "A" lock on my phone before was because when listening to music, standby would turn the music off. This new standby/lock does not turn the music off.
    02-27-10 09:10 PM
    Ok so here's my clarification on the standby/lock.

Holding mute and the A button both do the same thing now. It's sort of a combination of the lock and standby. It instantly turns off the screen and locks the phone. With the old standby it would show a pop-up telling you that the device is entering standby mode and would slowly fade to black. Now it's instant black.

Like standby, most keys will not wake the phone anymore. "Call" "End" "BB Button" and "Back Button" will all wake the phone and display a message that the phone is in standby and you need to press mute to unlock it. ALSO, unlike old standby, any of the number keys on the keyboard will wake the phone. Nothing but the mute button will unlock it though.

The only reason I ever used the "A" lock on my phone before was because when listening to music, standby would turn the music off. This new standby/lock does not turn the music off.
    Thanks for clearing that up, however I have one question:
    Will you still get calls or any kind of notification of messages?

In the current standby (OS 4.6.x.x -> 5.0.0.411), putting the phone in standby only allowed calls to come in. Messages and notifications only can in after the phone was out of standby and that after the phone reestablished a connection.
    02-27-10 09:41 PM
    I really like this leaked version. One question, is it possible to manually add additional languages to this version or do I have to wait until the official release with additional language support?
    02-27-10 09:52 PM
    Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post

<snipped>
    the current standby (OS 4.6.x.x -> 5.0.0.411), putting the phone in standby only allowed calls to come in. Messages and notifications only can in after the phone was out of standby and that after the phone reestablished a connection.
    I just tested it. After putting my phone on Lock/Standby mode, I asked my daughter to send me a text message from her iPhone 3G and Voila! The text was received and the notification LED flashed to signal that I had a text message.
    Thanks for checking that. I might try it now tomorrow.
    02-27-10 09:54 PM

In the current standby (OS 4.6.x.x -> 5.0.0.411), putting the phone in standby only allowed calls to come in. Messages and notifications only can in after the phone was out of standby and that after the phone reestablished a connection.
    I've always used standby on my phone and always gotten SMS and Emails while in standby...

There's no way I would have ever used standby if it would mean not getting my messages...
    02-27-10 10:04 PM

Just tested this, got emails and texts just fine, with sound and LED notifications.
    02-27-10 10:07 PM
    So far not impressed with the memory leak. After about 3 1/2 hours I'm down 7mb. The past leaks its been about 1mb per hour until it levels out after 10 hours or so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 10:40 PM
    Overall this is a good build.
    Core apps:
    • GPS locks in extremely fast. I installed Google maps and the lock was within a few seconds (from “your location within 2300 meters” to 7 meters)
    • Call quality is still occasionally choppy
    • Wifi works and locks in right away
    • Browser is on FIRE. Very fast!

Working fine:
    o Amazon (using old version 1.0.20)
    o Berry Buzz
    o Berry Weather
    o BN Reader
    o CarFinder
    o Google Maps
    o eReader
    o mIQ
    o Opera Mini 5 beta 2
    o Photobucket Mobile
    o Poynt
    o Quicklaunch
    o Slacker
    o SmartAlerts
    o SplashID
    o Youmail
    • Memory management: as others have stated , it is far above the other 5.0 builds but still not as good as the 4.6 builds. I’m not complaining though since at least with this build my memory isn’t falling below 9 mb every few hours.

Quirks/Items to note
    • Battery life: so-so. I charged it all night, did a quick pull in the morning and by noon I was down to 48%. I was running 3G. I presume that if I changed it to 2G it would have had different results as is the case normally.
    • Quick Pull Pro– doesn’t reboot automatically but this is a known issue reported by Steelthorn (QuickPull and OS 5.0.0.434+)
    • Socialscope – ok, after a couple of resets. Any time I did a reboot I’d have to sign in again and redo my settings, Not sure what happened, but it’s now working
    • Berry Pop – works BUT if you get a text while the phone is locked, it unlocks. (figured this out the easy way….phone in purse, got text, phone jostled, phone started dialing. )
    • Mobihand – I saw this on prior builds too, but I’ll mention it here. When doing a search if you hit the space bar it jumps to the bottom of the page
    02-27-10 11:48 PM
    I lost all the folder maps... is that normal?
    02-28-10 12:46 AM
    I lost all the folder maps... is that normal?
    as in your organized folders in your menu? that is a database file, if you restore it from backup they will return. i can't remember which item it is in the backup file, it's "folders" or "folders ID" or "theme settings" pretty sure.
    02-28-10 03:27 AM
    So far I'm extremely happy with this build. Little kinks are disappearing one-by-one, and I think we're finally getting close to a build that major carriers can get behind. That should make you waiting-for-official types happy.

Its too early to gage for sure, but so far the memory management feels great compared to recent builds. I just counted and I'm running 35 apps. All of them have been open and tested at least once, several have been left running for extended periods of time, and I've barely set the phone down since I loaded this build this morning. After my first battery pull I booted with just under 30MB free, and after more than 12 hours uptime I'm sitting at about 27MB free. I've seen it drop below that, but the OS is reclaiming memory like it should. After 12 hours of heavy data use and a couple of phone calls, I have 75% of my battery life left. WiFi and bluetooth connect quickly and reliably, phone sounds good, no navigational differences I can find, and not an error to speak of.

Again, I'll give it a while before I say for sure, but so far I think this is the best OS that's ever been on my Bold. Very happy so far.

02-28-10 04:46 AM
    Loaded onto 464. Used it for 24 hrs. So far, no major differences between 509 and 464 in terms of performance. GPS a bit faster to lock.

02-28-10 07:01 AM
    Really liking this build so far.

Only thing that I've found is that I can't delete voicemails using VVM. I go through the process, but the files remain. Not a deal breaker for me, by any means.
    02-28-10 07:23 AM
    Really liking this build so far.

Only thing that I've found is that I can't delete voicemails using VVM. I go through the process, but the files remain. Not a deal breaker for me, by any means.
    VVM working as it should for me.

02-28-10 07:31 AM
    I think that this is a much better performing version. My only issue is associated with the homescreen. I use the today-view, and with this upgrade the font size has gone way down compared to the prior version. Has anyone else noticed this and is anyone aware of a potential solution?
    02-28-10 07:32 AM
    Scoremobile doesn't work.

Well it does work..you just can't quit the app.
    No problems with ScoreMobile here whatsoever
    02-28-10 08:24 AM
    No problems with ScoreMobile here whatsoever
    same here.
    02-28-10 09:32 AM
    15 hours since I rebooted - about 20 hours since install - sitting pretty at 33MB free with the following apps all working fine:

BerryBuzz
    Hulkster's 10 icons L style, 7x calendar today section theme
    FileScout
    FlashOn
    Gmail
    Google Maps
    Google Mobile App
    Shazam

A battery pull boots me up with 43MB free right now. Drops my battery from 100% to 95%.

This is the first build I think will keep me on 5.0 permanently...coming from .297 v2. As stated above it seems to be good enough for a major carrier release and that's great news.

-The browser is noticeably blazing fast
    -Threaded SMS works perfectly and looks really nice
    -The new standby/lock is excellent. It combines the best of both worlds
    -Picture thumbnails load ridiculously fast
    -The overall look and feel of the OS is nicer but nothing great...just like the new startup screen
    -The clock mode has thicker numbers on digital mode making it easier to read, especially at night in bedside mode
    -I LOVE how bedside mode can be configured to automatically switch me to a different profile and then turn it back to normal upon exit. This is a great idea.

Negatives:
    -Possibly some choppy intermittent periods during calls but it hasn't been long enough to determine if this is network related or significant (read: it's not all that bad, if anything)
    -I can't find a way to reduce my call log from 2 lines per entry to 1...lots of wasted space here especially on font size 7
    -I don't see why the number keys on the keyboard need to wake the phone from standby/lock now - I never thought anything more than the back button needed to do that (CALL, END, BB Button all did it as well (wake the phone but only momentarily to tell you it's in standby mode and fade to black again))
    Last edited by jeffreii; 03-03-10 at 09:18 AM.
    02-28-10 09:35 AM
    Crap. Just when I thought this was a perfect build...
    Anyone else notice a bug with the music player? When I'm connected via Bluetooth, when I skip tracks, only every other song will have sound. The songs in between will look like it's playing with the seconds of the song moving and what not but no sound will come out. Only if you press pause/play or skip back does the sound come back.
    Annoying...back to 4.6.
    02-28-10 09:42 AM
    Crap. Just when I thought this was a perfect build...
    Anyone else notice a bug with the music player? When I'm connected via Bluetooth, when I skip tracks, only every other song will have sound. The songs in between will look like it's playing with the seconds of the song moving and what not but no sound will come out. Only if you press pause/play or skip back does the sound come back.
    Annoying...back to 4.6.
    I don't use Bluetooth so I'm not sure but I definitely don't have this problem with the music player not using Bluetooth.

I assume you've tried a battery pull and re-pairing your Bluetooth device and still been able to recreate the problem?
    02-28-10 09:45 AM
    I don't use Bluetooth so I'm not sure but I definitely don't have this problem with the music player not using Bluetooth.

I assume you've tried a battery pull and re-pairing your Bluetooth device and still been able to recreate the problem?
    Yes, I tried the battery pull but I still ran into this problem afterwards.
    02-28-10 10:11 AM
    So far this version of 5.0 has been the best for me imo. Bettery life seems a lot better than 464. My mute key doesn't work so I never use the lcoking method now. I just use the alt+enter method to lock my phone.

The wifi seemed a little tricky to connect with the version but after a rebbot it seems to connect just fine.

02-28-10 11:04 AM
    Love this leak. Found nothing I can complain about. Great to not have to reboot daily because of low memory. Too bad this one was not around a few months ago as my 9700 is arriving tomorrow from Rogers and I only got to spend a few days on 509. Now I'm off to see what leak is the best for the 9700. I'll miss you Mr. 9000!!

02-28-10 12:25 PM
    This is the best build for the Bold 9000 to date. I have had it since yesterday morning.

After 1 hour of straight talk time on full charge on 3G, I only lost 25% of battery life. Obviously that can be approved but if you are going to have such a powerful phone, you need to make your capabilities of charging on a regular basis (car, home, office, etc.) more abundantly available.

I run Yahoo! Finance, Amazon Kindle, Google Maps, and Xenozu YouTube player and still have 45 MB free after last battery pull (almost 24 hours ago).

No significant bugs worth reporting. Evidently, things like standby exit function can be improved, but then again it is a beta and there are always things to be fixed; hence, the new builds being leaked every month.

Good luck to all!

P.S.: Use AppLoader to install and remember to remove vendor.xml file. Faster and smoother in my experience.
    02-28-10 02:33 PM
    Still getting NullPointerException error when opening SMS. This only happens to me when I delete a few SMS within a thread, close SMS and open again.

Thanks for letting me know. That bug was so incredibly frustrating, to not be able to open up new sms's, that it made me downgrade back to 4.6 last time. I won't be going to this one either then. It's amazing no one at RIM has caught that yet. The SMS .cod file is severely corrupted somewhere, as you can clearly read by looking at the log file when it won't let you open up the SMS Thread.
    02-28-10 03:29 PM
391 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD