I got an email this morning (March 2, 2015) from BBRY about the imminent EOL of BlackBerry Traffic. It seems BlackBerry Traffic for OS 7.1 (and before) is shutting down on March 27, 2015.

There was no prior warning for this which is upsetting. Though I do have a Z10 running 10.3.1, the OS7.1 traffic app was part of my daily commute in my car because BB10's maps app isn't even close to having the functionality of the BB Traffic App.

I am pretty upset about this. Anyone else going to miss Traffic on BB OS < 7.1? I wish they would have ported this app over to BB 10 but of course, they just killed it off. The BB 10 Maps app is half baked and always has been. Since BB is still pushing Bold 9900's in their stores, it seriously irritates me that they can just indiscriminately kill off crucial apps/services whenever they feel like it. I didn't buy my phone under the assumption I was only renting functionality until they felt like killing it off.

------Original Message------
    Subject: BlackBerry Traffic End of Life Notification
    Sent: Mar 2, 2015 8:31 AM

Please be advised that the BlackBerry� Traffic™ application will be end of life as of March 27, 2015. This will cause the BlackBerry Traffic application to no longer function.

As this is a BlackBerry OS application (Pre – BlackBerry� 10), there are no BlackBerry� developed alternatives for this application within that framework. We encourage our subscribers to migrate to one of the BlackBerry 10 devices, where they can make use of our robust BlackBerry� Maps application as an alternative.

This service message was sent by or on behalf of BlackBerry Limited ("BlackBerry").

� 2015 BlackBerry Limited, 2200 University Avenue East, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2K 0A7. All rights reserved. BlackBerry�, BBM� and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of BlackBerry and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 03-02-15 at 10:12 AM.
    nah.uhh and Droidophobe like this.
    03-02-15 09:49 AM
    I'm annoyed as well, partly because there doesn't seem to be any replacement available from any third-party vendors, and partly at BB's attempt to force me to BB10 when none of their BB10 phones/OS offer me the things my 9850 does. I'm more likely to move to iLand, and they're stupid not to realize that.
    JackTColten likes this.
    03-02-15 10:12 AM
    I think there needs to be some twitter/social media push back. I don't have a twitter account or any social media apps (by my own choosing). It's times like this I wish I would because I am seriously pissed off...
    JackTColten likes this.
    03-02-15 10:14 AM
    I think there needs to be some twitter/social media push back. I don't have a twitter account or any social media apps (by my own choosing). It's times like this I wish I would because I am seriously pissed off...
    Then get a Twitter account and do some push back.
    03-02-15 10:19 AM
    Now this is very sad. My wife uses her 9900 and BB Traffic a lot of the time now. The absence of a better app is going to hurt my family. Not everyone wishes to move to a BB10 device.
    03-02-15 10:19 AM
    Damn I loved blackberry traffic on my Legacy phone. I hope they make BlackBerry Maps more like BlackBerry Traffic.

Posted via CB10
    JackTColten likes this.
    03-02-15 10:26 AM
    BB is busy tweeting themselves silly over their Samsung alliance and BES12. I doubt they'd notice any mention of BB Traffic and unhappy OS7 customers.
    03-02-15 10:28 AM
    My gf got it too... She's pissed. Bb10 maps sucks in comparison to bb traffic. Just yesterday I had a tone of issues with maps and an address and traffic nailed it 1st time. I had to put the wrong city as right on the border to get bb maps to find it. The congestion views etc rock.

Her phone is literally falling apart and no word on a white classic release. We were going to buy a used one to hold over for a bit longer, but with bb traffic gone seems stupid to do so. Really hate this strong arming of legacy people by bb...

Y y y can't they offer bb traffic on bb10....
    Y y y can't they tell us when a other color classic will be out...
    chaosdivine likes this.
    03-02-15 11:27 AM
    i really liked and regularly used that app on my 9900. sucks that we don't have anything similar on bb10.
    acovey likes this.
    03-02-15 12:45 PM
    There were so few people actually using the app that it was becoming useless. It depends on crowd sourcing for accurate info - and has almost no crowd left.

Use Waze. It's used by tens of millions.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Elite1, bungaboy and mainely_linux like this.
    03-02-15 12:53 PM
    I am not happy. Traffic is one of my all time favorite apps on OS 7. With no suitable alternatives, I will have to use my old Garmin GPS unit. Time to refresh the POI data.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    03-02-15 01:42 PM
    I too loved BlackBerry traffic on os 7. Such a shame

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 02:24 PM
    Do people here understand what crowd-sourcing means?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    mainely_linux likes this.
    03-02-15 02:35 PM
    Is Waze available on OS 7

I, too, am not pleased by this. I just got a Bold 9930. I use it on Sprint. I DON'T WANT to migrate to a Q10.
    03-02-15 02:36 PM
    Use Waze. It's used by tens of millions.
    Good as Waze is as an app (an every day on my Z30) it does not exist for OS7. My family is not going to be pleased with this loss. What little crowd may have remained included my wife and her third 9900.
    03-02-15 03:00 PM
    Is Waze available on OS 7

I, too, am not pleased by this. I just got a Bold 9930. I use it on Sprint. I DON'T WANT to migrate to a Q10.
    Ya, sorry. That was for the bb10 crowd. OP mentioned he had both.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-02-15 03:01 PM
    Good.
    03-02-15 03:02 PM
    I never used Traffic with any of my pre-bb10 devices. If it doesn't have turn by turn with voice, it was useless to me.
    03-02-15 03:07 PM
    For BB to exist, people must move on instead of hanging onto old *** hw then blame BB for not doing well.
    Yes I know the old devices works well still, that's part of the problem. Iphone 6>5>4>3 by very marginal upgrades and Apple people buy them and hence Apple succeeds.

BB10 is >>>>>>>>> over OS7 and below device and no one upgrades..
    With classic out now, there is no excuse not to support BB.

I still see people with freaking Curves 8300 walking around with probably OS4.5.. Sad.

On Topic though, I use Maps and it does a fine job. It routes you based on traffic. A lot of time it routes me to exit and then back on again if it knows there is traffic on the Hwy/fwy.
    03-02-15 03:14 PM
    For BB to exist, people must move on instead of hanging onto old *** hw then blame BB for not doing well.
    Yes I know the old devices works well still, that's part of the problem. Iphone 6>5>4>3 by very marginal upgrades and Apple people buy them and hence Apple succeeds.

I still see people with freaking Curves 8300 walking around with probably OS4.5.. Sad.

On Topic though, I use Maps and it does a fine job. It routes you based on traffic. A lot of time it routes me to exit and then back on again if it knows there is traffic on the Hwy/fwy.
    Uhh it gets the job done and better and more efficiently and duh legacy duh they should've never gone with bb10 and legacy makes me a super multitasking android from the 4th millennium and it makes me look like the professional business man I obviously am
    03-02-15 03:31 PM

That is ludicrous. Why should customers move on to devices they don't like to support the company's existence? There is a prevailing opinion on this forum that customers are somehow responsible for BB's success. Wrong. BB is responsible for their own success.

Also wrong. BB10 has lost many functions that drew users to BB in the first place. After searching this board for 2 years, I've yet to see one report of it working with Outlook like OS7 DM does. The calendar in the lastest update is a hot mess. And this whole thread wouldn't even have occurred if Maps was as good as Traffic.

I've been supporting BB for 10 years. Again, why should I buy their classic phone if it doesn't do what I need? Why should I support any company that doesn't offer products I need?

If they like their Curves, and the Curves serve them well, why should those people buy a new phone that they don't like?

I can't even get Maps on my 9850 on Verizon. Whether this omission is BB's or Verizon's decision, I don't know, but clearly BB is the one that's now left me without any resource at all, except an app which connects me to Google maps, or the option to buy a Garmin or similar.
    03-02-15 03:48 PM
    @droidophobe:

You are entitled to keep your 3 or 4 year old phone if it works for you, of course.

The point is that one can't be hypocritical and complain when support can't be maintained when the company cannot sustain itself due to lack of new device sales.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-02-15 03:54 PM
    So if I bought the latest inadequate BB offering every year and stuck it in a drawer, the company could afford to support the OS7 phone that has always worked for me??? That's a strategy that's only going to drive customers away. Very, very few people, or organizations, are going to buy new, expensive technology that they don't want just to get support for older devices that they need. They're going to find companies that offer what they do want.
    03-02-15 04:05 PM
    So if I bought the latest inadequate BB offering every year and stuck it in a drawer, the company could afford to support the OS7 phone that has always worked for me??? That's a strategy that's only going to drive customers away. Very, very few people, or organizations, are going to buy new, expensive technology that they don't want just to get support for older devices that they need. They're going to find companies that offer what they do want.
    I think 3 years is a reasonable commitment for support from a company for a given device.

BTW, with the Classic and 10.3.1, the orbits of BBOS and BB10 will NEVER be closer - like it or not. Time to make the change. You will give up a few things you are used to (no doubt), but will gain 10x more.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-02-15 04:21 PM
    I would happily purchase a Classic were it available w/ Sprint. My only option is the Q10 and I don't want one of those. I like having the trackpad on my Bold 9930.
    03-02-15 05:10 PM
122 123 ...