I went through the same thing earlier this morning. Apparently RIM has not provisioned the app for use by those who have "limited" data plans. (Common assumption is that this means under 2GB of data.) Regardless of whether you have wifi or not, the app supposedly will not work unless you upgrade to an unlimited/higher rate plan.

Personally, I find this ridiculous. Simply because I'm responsible with my data and refuse to pay for more than I use, I don't get protection and the chance to be equally responsible with my Blackberry? I understand that remote wipes and backups to a remote server handle a LOT of data, but if I've got a wifi connection and I'm willing to participate, I don't think it's up to RIM to make that call.

Sorry folks, big thumbs down from me.
    Wow is this for real? Thats just ridiculous... I don't even really care about the remote backup (which like you said, is what WiFi is for), I just want to be able to remotely lock my phone and find it when its lost.
    03-05-11 12:47 PM
    I went through the same thing earlier this morning. Apparently RIM has not provisioned the app for use by those who have "limited" data plans. (Common assumption is that this means under 2GB of data.) Regardless of whether you have wifi or not, the app supposedly will not work unless you upgrade to an unlimited/higher rate plan.

Personally, I find this ridiculous. Simply because I'm responsible with my data and refuse to pay for more than I use, I don't get protection and the chance to be equally responsible with my Blackberry? I understand that remote wipes and backups to a remote server handle a LOT of data, but if I've got a wifi connection and I'm willing to participate, I don't think it's up to RIM to make that call.

I have a under 1GB data plan and it worked for me.
    03-05-11 12:48 PM
    Hi,

Noob question here, if it happened to be that my phone is stolen and i have Blackberry Protect installed but the thief have done a clean wipe of the device, can i still locate my phone or to do anything with it?

Regards,

Ali Tan
    03-05-11 12:51 PM

I have a 500MB plan it works for me as well
    03-05-11 12:52 PM
    I have a under 1GB data plan and it worked for me.
    Hm... You seem to be the exception to the rule. Everyone I've spoken to via Twitter, app world, etc has said that if they have a "limited" plan they're not able to use the service. Even in the app world description, it says that only select plans are able to be used.

I'm not paying 15-20 bucks a month more to use this app. If I wanted that, I'd just pick up the equally useless insurance plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit: Which carriers are you using?
    03-05-11 12:54 PM
    Sadly, if you're using your BlackBerry for both personal and work email (with a BES for work) then you're stuck. The application will install, but fail to run, citing the BES issue as the culprit.
    03-05-11 12:56 PM
    This knowldge base article seems to suggest a IT policy maybe in place if your on BIS and BBP gives you a BES error message.

KB14202-How to remove an IT policy from a BlackBerry smartphone

In my case this makes no sense to me since my 9650 was wiped when I upgraded to 6.0.0.431
    03-05-11 12:57 PM
    After installing the app, I went through set up and got to the main screen but then my status changed to "The service plan for your BlackBerry device does not support this application. Please contact your service provider for additional information or to update your service plan."

I've never had this kind of problem before, I have a 1 GB plan with Rogers. Anyone else get this problem? I reset my phone and still same error.
    500mb plan on rogers, working fine.

gf's 9700 on bell 500mb plan working fine
    03-05-11 01:12 PM
    Sadly, if you're using your BlackBerry for both personal and work email (with a BES for work) then you're stuck. The application will install, but fail to run, citing the BES issue as the culprit.
    it does say in the description its not BES compatible, probably because BES can do a fair ammount of sync/backup. either that or they have summat built into BB Balance that`ll cover it.

as for no email backup, im guessing that its probably something to do with the fact devices can hold multiple email accounts so its still in the pipeline. like i say tho only a guess
    03-05-11 01:18 PM
    Ive got it installed and working fine.
    Just wont recoginse me on the website
    Same here :s
    03-05-11 01:28 PM
    After installing the app, I went through set up and got to the main screen but then my status changed to "The service plan for your BlackBerry device does not support this application. Please contact your service provider for additional information or to update your service plan."

I've never had this kind of problem before, I have a 1 GB plan with Rogers. Anyone else get this problem? I reset my phone and still same error.

This happened to me as well. 150mb plan on VZW, and I am pissed.
    To be honest, this is the first time I've been pissed off at RIM about something. They push the efficient data features of the BB product, but then launch a service that requires you to have a more expensive data plan, which makes absolutely no sense. I understand that BB Protect will use data to back up my information, if I go over my data plan, they'll just charge me another $15 for another 150mb of data usage, it doesn't make any sense. Major failure in my opinion.
    03-05-11 01:34 PM
    Ive got it installed and working fine.
    Just wont recoginse me on the website
    Me to, It says I have no devices set up/

I've tried reinstalling it a second time, but still no joy. Anyone got any ideas how to solve it?
    03-05-11 01:44 PM
    i have a 500mb plan and am able to use it but i am on rogers
    03-05-11 01:48 PM
    Working fine on my TMO OS6 hybrid 9700...
    03-05-11 01:49 PM
    I just installed on my wife's 8530 (basically the same device) and all worked fine..... that's kind of weird. Are you running any leaked os or anything on your wife's phone?
    Offical.......... I got it to work. BlackberryID was wrong.
    03-05-11 01:53 PM
    Yeah, mine wont find the location either and google maps and blackberry maps pics up 8 satellites and hones in immediately...but the ID site won't find the phone...and I have it outside.

Too bad it doesn't do cell phone tower locations so the battery doesn't drain by having gps on all the time.
    Do you have location reporting checked in the options menu?
    03-05-11 02:02 PM
    What ist he URL to log into from a PC- I've downloaded and installed- created the account- but can't find a site on the PC that allows me to test the features- All I can see is my account info
    03-05-11 02:03 PM
    Me to, It says I have no devices set up/

I've tried reinstalling it a second time, but still no joy. Anyone got any ideas how to solve it?
    I have the same issue.. I tried two different BB ID.
    03-05-11 02:04 PM
    If your phone is on BES there is no need for BlackBerry Protect as BES can do what it does and much more. If you lose your phone, just tell your IT department.
    03-05-11 02:07 PM
    blackberry.com / protect site blackbarry open session with id. But he says blackberry is not defined. What should I do?
    03-05-11 02:13 PM
    I downloaded it earlier,and everything is working fine.

Location: Tried from my neighbour's house and was able to send msg, loud ring and lock. Didn't try wipe. Then I had my location tracked when I was out and was working to within 3m outside and 6.6m inside.

On Bell with 1g data on 9800
    03-05-11 02:19 PM
    I installed BB protect on my 9700 and I got an error message that this service doesn't work on a BES, but I am not on a BES! I am running OS6. Can someone help me with this?
    03-05-11 02:26 PM
    I installed BB protect on my 9700 and I got an error message that this service doesn't work on a BES, but I am not on a BES! I am running OS6. Can someone help me with this?
    This seems to be a common issue. See if you can find help:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Protect
    03-05-11 02:29 PM
    200mb data plan on AT&T, and it works. Really nice so far. I hope that I don't need to use it.
    03-05-11 02:34 PM
    Well I installed this app and did a battery pull and I can't see any of my BBM contacts at all. I get indications that I have a message and the only way to check them is to check it through messages. When I do a search in BBM I can see contacts but the entire list is gone. Did 2 wipes and all came back but as soon as I do a pull it comes up with an error. Can't remember what it says but this has messed up my BBM. I will try and take a pic of the error message and post it but my BBM is messed up. Im on a Storm 2 using OS 1015. Anybody have the same issues?
    03-05-11 02:50 PM
235 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD