I'm on an unlimited plan from TELUS but my wife is on the 500MB plan with them also, and it's working great on both our phones.

Seems to me if some have it working on plans that are not unlimited, and other's aren't, that it's more likely the Service Providers that are limiting the app, not RIM. Either that or RIM has hand picked which providers of limited plans they will allow and which they won't, which doesn't seem likely to me at all.

Mike
    500MB is more than 150MB ya know? It appears that RIM set a minimum data plan for this to be used. Perhaps they were trying to protect us? LOL
    03-06-11 08:07 AM
    Not specified:

Yeah I have seen that, and done a backup, but I want to know if anyone has done an actual restore yet and in doing so if pics that were attached to contacts were intact after the restore?
    03-06-11 08:11 AM
    500MB is more than 150MB ya know? It appears that RIM set a minimum data plan for this to be used. Perhaps they were trying to protect us? LOL
    Thanks but yes, I took math lol . All I'm saying is the discrepancy didn't seem to be between different levels of limited data plans, rather more like it's between an unlimited and a limited data plan of any size.

Either way, perhaps this is something that RIM has only put in place for the open beta testing, knowing that those using it now are going to be testing it out in great detail. If it is RIM that has implemented this, then yes, it's probably a huge mistake if they plan on leaving it in place, even after the beta testing is over.

Mike
    03-06-11 08:45 AM
    i think some of our members get Off..sexually when reading the phrases RIM Fail/Failed... and epic Fail, that's why we see it so often. LOL!

anyway, the app is still in Beta and i'm liking it already.
    andyahs likes this.
    03-06-11 09:17 AM
    Thanks but yes, I took math lol . All I'm saying is the discrepancy didn't seem to be between different levels of limited data plans, rather more like it's between an unlimited and a limited data plan of any size.

Either way, perhaps this is something that RIM has only put in place for the open beta testing, knowing that those using it now are going to be testing it out in great detail. If it is RIM that has implemented this, then yes, it's probably a huge mistake if they plan on leaving it in place, even after the beta testing is over.

Mike
    Doesn't appear to be anything to do with RIM if you ask me. Looks like it's the provider limiting it's use. BELL and TELUS in Canada seem okay, but appears Rogers people are having some issues, and in the USA AT&T and VZW seem to be having issues depending on your plan.
    All I know is that I am on a 500MB plan with Telus, it's NOT the highest plan by any means and I have absolutely no issues, so for those that have issues I would call your provider and *****, it's THEIR restriction not RIM.
    03-06-11 09:18 AM
    One of the improvement they can make on this is that, on LookOut mobile backup, using web interface, I can read my contact data. But the RIM's protect website seems to have no option for it. For example, lets say I lost my BB, I can still find my contacts on LookOut mobile website. But it seems with BB Protect, I have to buy a new phone and load the backed up contacts in order for me to read them.

Thant should be fixed during in beta testing.
    03-06-11 09:30 AM
    Doesn't appear to be anything to do with RIM if you ask me. Looks like it's the provider limiting it's use. BELL and TELUS in Canada seem okay, but appears Rogers people are having some issues, and in the USA AT&T and VZW seem to be having issues depending on your plan.
    All I know is that I am on a 500MB plan with Telus, it's NOT the highest plan by any means and I have absolutely no issues, so for those that have issues I would call your provider and *****, it's THEIR restriction not RIM.
    I don't think it is RIM either... I am on Telus Canada and it works fine.
    03-06-11 09:32 AM
    Some ppl complain that it has no password protection at app launch on phone. I know this app should have password protection for the app. but for now what u can do is right click on the app and hit hide. So, if you lose the phone it takes time for whoever find it to look for BB Protect app. In addition you can lock the phone OTA.

RIM may fix this with an update soon with password protect for the app. I just make BB Protect icon hidden so not one can see it right away.
    03-06-11 09:35 AM
    I tested out the find my phone feature and it doesn't work, does it work for anyone else?
    03-06-11 09:46 AM
    I installed it on my Bold 9650 and allfeatures work fine.
    03-06-11 09:48 AM
    I tested out the find my phone feature and it doesn't work, does it work for anyone else?
    Working here too.
    03-06-11 09:53 AM
    Working here too.
    I have GPS or location whatever its called, off so would that change anything?
    03-06-11 09:58 AM
    Rogwrs working fine on wife's fone. 500mb plan. Knowing how att and vzn work, they r the problem not RIM.

Epic failure lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-11 10:00 AM
    I installed Blackberry Protect on my 9780 last night and it seemed to be working OK, but this morning I got "uncaught exception javalangnulpointerexception" a couple of times and I can't open any unread messages. I did a few battery pulls and when it would work it was very sluggish.
    Last edited by Nels; 03-07-11 at 05:18 AM.
    03-06-11 10:02 AM
    You must be connected to a network with gps turned on according to RIM but I believe it also uses cell towers.
    03-06-11 10:03 AM
    I would think having the GPS turned off would pose an issue.
    03-06-11 10:13 AM
    does any one knows if it is working on Ecuador? I just downloaded it and the program installed smoothly but when i insert my BB ID it says that the Blackberry ID is temporarily unavailable. does anyone knows how to fix or what is the problem?
    03-06-11 10:18 AM
    Options>Device>Location settings>Location Services> if you see E911 change to Location On worked for me to locate my bold.
    Last edited by SwiftB12305; 03-06-11 at 10:36 AM.
    03-06-11 10:30 AM
    Hi!

Does anyone have an OTA update link for the Bold 9000? I'm from Belgium and the OTA link mentioned in this post is only for 96xx models, won't install, error to do with the COD links not being correct.

Thank you! Really want to try it!!

Pieter
    03-06-11 10:35 AM
    Some ppl complain that it has no password protection at app launch on phone. I know this app should have password protection for the app. but for now what u can do is right click on the app and hit hide. So, if you lose the phone it takes time for whoever find it to look for BB Protect app. In addition you can lock the phone OTA.

RIM may fix this with an update soon with password protect for the app. I just make BB Protect icon hidden so not one can see it right away.

My thoughts exactly!
    I hide it as well, within a folder, so if someone does steal my phone A) if they aren't savy to Blackberry they will have no idea right off the bat how to UNHIDE all the icons, and go through them, and B) Even if they are Blackberry Savy, if it's buried in a hidden folder, it will at least take them longer to discover.
    03-06-11 10:42 AM
    Or they will just take the battery out straight away. Uh ohh.

Anyways, I have installed the app on my phone, signed in with my Blackberry ID and done a backup. However, when I sign into the portal with the same ID, it shows that no devices have been linked to the account. Weird?
    03-06-11 10:54 AM
    Does anybody know, Or this App will also be available for the Netherlands?
    As i tried to download it from the App World, And it sed, it wasn't available for my region.
    Im using a Blackberry Torch, With bis abb.
    03-06-11 10:57 AM
    Does anybody know, Or this App will also be available for the Netherlands?
    As i tried to download it from the App World, And it sed, it wasn't available for my region.
    Im using a Blackberry Torch, With bis abb.
    Yes.....

-March 5th (North America / Latin America)
    -March 19th (EMEA)
    -April 2nd (Asia Pacific)
    03-06-11 11:00 AM
    Thanks for the fast reply , Quite happy that it will be available soon, It looks very promising.
    andyahs likes this.
    03-06-11 11:04 AM
    This happened to me as well. 150mb plan on VZW, and I am pissed.
    To be honest, this is the first time I've been pissed off at RIM about something. They push the efficient data features of the BB product, but then launch a service that requires you to have a more expensive data plan, which makes absolutely no sense. I understand that BB Protect will use data to back up my information, if I go over my data plan, they'll just charge me another $15 for another 150mb of data usage, it doesn't make any sense. Major failure in my opinion.
    Yup i'm in the same boat. I have teh 150MB plan through Verizon and it wont allow me to use it!!!!
    03-06-11 11:45 AM
235 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD