FYI:
    KB36557-BlackBerry response to reports of tethered jailbreak vulnerabilities

From the brief description it sounds like BB OS devices based on the Qualcomm chipset is prone to be rooted.
    I wonder if we ever hear more about this.

Anyone knows who found the vulnerability?
    serbanescu and DaFoxGrey like this.
    12-29-14 10:27 AM
    FYI:
    KB36557-BlackBerry response to reports of tethered jailbreak vulnerabilities

From the brief description it sounds like BB OS devices based on the Qualcomm chipset is prone to be rooted.
    I wonder if we ever hear more about this.

Anyone knows who found the vulnerability?
    Even Android phones on Qualcomm were found to be easy to change IMEI with their chipsets... BlackBerry has a string or field when it asks for updates to see if the phones bootloader has been tampered with. Other than that, I think whoever has found it has probably signed a NDA...
    12-30-14 06:25 AM
    I don't get the NDA thing: The person discovering (=having the knowledge) must sign an NDA with BlackBerry? They should just be exited to get the information before somebody creates an exploit and uses it in the wild.

I doubt BlackBerry shares very much information in return. If the person was smart enough to find the vulnerability in the first place, he could continue reverse engineering/debugging anyway.

Legal department must have a lot of power within BB. I recall a case where a big customer of mine wanted BlackBerry to sign an NDA in order to let them approve the design. It delayed the project 3 months before their legal department had approved the NDA.
    12-30-14 02:35 PM
    12-30-14 02:39 PM
    I don't get the NDA thing: The person discovering (=having the knowledge) must sign an NDA with BlackBerry? They should just be exited to get the information before somebody creates an exploit and uses it in the wild.

I doubt BlackBerry shares very much information in return. If the person was smart enough to find the vulnerability in the first place, he could continue reverse engineering/debugging anyway.

Legal department must have a lot of power within BB. I recall a case where a big customer of mine wanted BlackBerry to sign an NDA in order to let them approve the design. It delayed the project 3 months before their legal department had approved the NDA.
    IF every person that did find a exploit and used it in the wild straight after... I don't think we would have any privacy in the slightest. Lots of clever minds doing exploits, good and very very bad... Breaking NDA specially if you sent the exploit information to BBRY and then using would be very bad. Jail would almost be certain as NDA is a very strong thing if handled in the right way by legal teams.

I'm sure BlackBerry must reward certain people for finding exploits in some way or form.

BBRY love their NDA's, trust me.

I've used this on a device to unlock more LTE bands on a device which had all the radios.
    12-31-14 04:38 AM
    IF every person that did find a exploit and used it in the wild straight after... I don't think we would have any privacy in the slightest. Lots of clever minds doing exploits, good and very very bad... Breaking NDA specially if you sent the exploit information to BBRY and then using would be very bad. Jail would almost be certain as NDA is a very strong thing if handled in the right way by legal teams.

I'm sure BlackBerry must reward certain people for finding exploits in some way or form.

BBRY love their NDA's, trust me.

I've used this on a device to unlock more LTE bands on a device which had all the radios.
    I'm under NDA with BlackBerry as partner, betatester etc. This makes sense because I am allowed early access to software and devices.

But why would the finder of an exploit want to sign a NDA with BlackBerry in the first place?
    Unless BlackBerry gives something in return, like a reward or access to source code review it makes no sense at all (no benefit for the person finding the exploit).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-31-14 06:23 AM