To me it'll be more of a matter of OS 6 and Froyo.

iPhone is for AT&T and will be that way for a while so I'm not even considering it.

I'm up for renewal at the end of July...good timing as Froyo will be out by then, OS 6 should be out by then and the Droid Shadow should also be out by then.
    05-31-10 04:26 PM
    I have to chime in on the supposed stability of the iPhone OS. I currently own an iPhone, a 9700 and a HTC Hero. So I have first hand daily experience with all of the above. The iPhone is only stable if you don't jailbreak it to get the functionality in the phone that should have been there in the first place. Once jailbroken the phone slows down greatly and crashes. I have had to walk my friends through a hard reset on a non jailbroken iPhone in the past week. And my wife's non jailbroken iPhone has needed a hard reset many times in the past. My 9700 has never crashed. May be I'm lucky. It has been sluggish at times but no where like my Hero. And the Hero crashes more than a Nascar race after I upgraded to Android 2.1. I have left BB on many occasions only to be pulled back by the ease of use and the speed of the BB. There is no better e-mailing, messaging, or social networking updating device than a BB. And lets not get started on the notification part of it. The best part of the iPhone is the media and gaming. No one can do 3D games, save for WebOS, like the iPhone. But then again I don't need to be playing games all the time on my phone. I want a phone that extends my productivity, not one that diminishes it. BB OS 6.0 won't be a match for iPhone 4.0 in the polish or the flash of the operating system. But when you get down to what you really want a phone to do, for me at least it is a BB. It's like being married to a pretty wife, one you don't really have any complaints about, not flashy but classy and you love her. Then next door in moves this HOT momma, who has had some surgical enhancements done. She loves to party and shows it. A real looker, but is all superficial. Once you get to talk to her you find out she hasn't grown up past 12 grade. She is nice to look at but you would get bored with her in short order. Back at home is the dependable wife who you can have fun with also. But she has a brain and is not only for play. Now if you take her in and get some surgical enhancements also..... you have OS 6.0.
    06-03-10 12:01 AM
    I have to chime in on the supposed stability of the iPhone OS. I currently own an iPhone, a 9700 and a HTC Hero. So I have first hand daily experience with all of the above. The iPhone is only stable if you don't jailbreak it to get the functionality in the phone that should have been there in the first place. Once jailbroken the phone slows down greatly and crashes. I have had to walk my friends through a hard reset on a non jailbroken iPhone in the past week. And my wife's non jailbroken iPhone has needed a hard reset many times in the past. My 9700 has never crashed. May be I'm lucky. It has been sluggish at times but no where like my Hero. And the Hero crashes more than a Nascar race after I upgraded to Android 2.1. I have left BB on many occasions only to be pulled back by the ease of use and the speed of the BB. There is no better e-mailing, messaging, or social networking updating device than a BB. And lets not get started on the notification part of it. The best part of the iPhone is the media and gaming. No one can do 3D games, save for WebOS, like the iPhone. But then again I don't need to be playing games all the time on my phone. I want a phone that extends my productivity, not one that diminishes it. BB OS 6.0 won't be a match for iPhone 4.0 in the polish or the flash of the operating system. But when you get down to what you really want a phone to do, for me at least it is a BB. It's like being married to a pretty wife, one you don't really have any complaints about, not flashy but classy and you love her. Then next door in moves this HOT momma, who has had some surgical enhancements done. She loves to party and shows it. A real looker, but is all superficial. Once you get to talk to her you find out she hasn't grown up past 12 grade. She is nice to look at but you would get bored with her in short order. Back at home is the dependable wife who you can have fun with also. But she has a brain and is not only for play. Now if you take her in and get some surgical enhancements also..... you have OS 6.0.
    Like it has been expressed many times over, and over. This explanation of iPhone use cones down to what apps you install and how you employ your specific iPhone from day to day use. My iPhone is. 38 yr old grumpy ol workhorse. This is because of te productivity apps installed and used on my device, it does have a since of humor though with some fun games for break and waiting rooms.
    06-03-10 05:05 AM
    People are leaving for the apps, browser, and the random reboots/ever so annoying loading sqaure. The more apps you install the slower the phone gets, you don't see that on android or the iPhone.

You should be the spokesperson for BB customers b/c these are the EXACT reasons I'm displeased with Blackberry right now.. I'm still trying to remain patient but its not looking good... smh
    06-24-10 02:32 PM
    Why thank u
    06-24-10 05:57 PM
    Seriously, why does Apple get a free pass. They just added MMS like a year ago. They JUST added folders and they have like 6 friggin notification sounds? BB has one of the most customizeable OS's out. Apple has one of the, if not THE, most locked down OS available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 10:07 AM
    One word is why "applications" this is the day and age of app phones, and RIM doesn't keep up in that department.
    06-30-10 10:15 AM
    I could care less about the quantity of phone apps, I care more about the quality and phone features to support my lifestyle. What I use on a daily basis is already loaded, some paid, some not.
    06-30-10 10:26 AM
    Well good for you i7guy
    06-30-10 10:34 AM
    I could care less about the quantity of phone apps, I care more about the quality and phone features to support my lifestyle. What I use on a daily basis is already loaded, some paid, some not.
    Exactly, instead of the 2 yr old mentality of "my phones got more apps than your phone" nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.

Why is it these 2 yr olds can't come to grips that it's about what suits MY needs and not THEIRS.
    06-30-10 06:57 PM
    I think part of the problem is people don't comprehend that most of soo many apps on other platforms are not only a waste of space, but do nothing more than provide entertainment for a couple of hours. I could care less about gaming on my phone and the more I learn about it, the more I enjoy it everyday. Plus, the messaging capabilities are awesome, which is about a 1/4 of the reason I chose blackberry over everything else.

06-30-10 08:06 PM
    I think part of the problem is people don't comprehend that most of soo many apps on other platforms are not only a waste of space, but do nothing more than provide entertainment for a couple of hours. I could care less about gaming on my phone and the more I learn about it, the more I enjoy it everyday. Plus, the messaging capabilities are awesome, which is about a 1/4 of the reason I chose blackberry over everything else.

Not all of them.

They have some apps that some may find useful or joyful that aren't available for Blackberry. They tend to make the most popular apps (i.e. apps that most people find useful or joyful) for Blackberry eventually, although it's usually the last platform to be considered.
    07-01-10 09:42 AM
    Well good for you i7guy
    Back at ya.
    07-01-10 09:56 AM

Actually the Apple app store, has more applications dealing with education then games (ie books). Games comes in second place to education apps.
    07-01-10 11:23 AM
    I guess this OS 4 vs OS 6 can get answered when the OS 6 comes out and I get to see its battery life. There is nothing more annoying then having a flashy device and not wanting to use it to conserve battery life. I had the EVO and while it had all the whistles and bells it just wasn't practical. I quickly found out for me an ALL touchscreen is cumbersome and down right annoying when I'm in a rush.

07-02-10 05:04 PM
    Its kind of hard to compare OS's since the OS 6 isnt available yet.
    07-02-10 05:13 PM
    As much as I hate to admit it and come to terms with it, and we all know it - there will never be the perfect device. I have both a BB and just purchased and iPhone 4 - 32 GB. I was hoping to drop the BB - but that really isn't going to happen. And the reality is, I'm going to need both because they do two different jobs and there are trade offs with each

The BB is great for emails, long battery life and the basics of what a business user needs and it' not bad a phone (I have AT&T), it's secure (which at times I find to be a PITA), and these last two are big ones for me - and gives you an option for a microSD card AND I'm not bound to a laptop. However it sucks for user experience, applications, it's a little too secure, can't render full-true web pages, the BB browser is crap on a good day, and God help you if try and read a MS Office document on it.

The iphone my all of 1 week of experience with it, has an awesone end-user experience - let's give the devel theire dues; Apple is a Master at this and has been long before the iphone was an ich in...well you get the picture. Anyway, the display is fantastic, it's pretty good for a phone, (lately more reliable than the BB - I said lately), the availability & variety of the apps is a big edge, all in all it's pretty bleeding edge. Now the dirty laundry; I bound to my laptop and itunes; I can live with itunes - but that's still a consumer not enterprise grade application, no microSD card slot, sim card slot needs to be rethought. This one pisses me off - I have to do app development on a Mac and they don't give you a VMWare opition. I actually bought the iphone for app development and leverage it's ability to render web pages for something for work.

There are pros and cons of each and to be honest about a month ago I was set to buy a BB Storm 2. Which by the way is still on the books after the little epiphany above. At the end of the the day a healthy dose of competition is by the phone manufacuters is a good thing for us.
    07-02-10 07:08 PM
    Its kind of hard to compare OS's since the OS 6 isnt available yet.
    I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it but for real I agree with you. I say wait for the OS 6 to come out and then you can compare it all you want.
    07-02-10 08:04 PM
    As much as I hate to admit it and come to terms with it, and we all know it - there will never be the perfect device. I have both a BB and just purchased and iPhone 4 - 32 GB. I was hoping to drop the BB - but that really isn't going to happen. And the reality is, I'm going to need both because they do two different jobs and there are trade offs with each

The BB is great for emails, long battery life and the basics of what a business user needs and it' not bad a phone (I have AT&T), it's secure (which at times I find to be a PITA), and these last two are big ones for me - and gives you an option for a microSD card AND I'm not bound to a laptop. However it sucks for user experience, applications, it's a little too secure, can't render full-true web pages, the BB browser is crap on a good day, and God help you if try and read a MS Office document on it.

The iphone my all of 1 week of experience with it, has an awesone end-user experience - let's give the devel theire dues; Apple is a Master at this and has been long before the iphone was an ich in...well you get the picture. Anyway, the display is fantastic, it's pretty good for a phone, (lately more reliable than the BB - I said lately), the availability & variety of the apps is a big edge, all in all it's pretty bleeding edge. Now the dirty laundry; I bound to my laptop and itunes; I can live with itunes - but that's still a consumer not enterprise grade application, no microSD card slot, sim card slot needs to be rethought. This one pisses me off - I have to do app development on a Mac and they don't give you a VMWare opition. I actually bought the iphone for app development and leverage it's ability to render web pages for something for work.

There are pros and cons of each and to be honest about a month ago I was set to buy a BB Storm 2. Which by the way is still on the books after the little epiphany above. At the end of the the day a healthy dose of competition is by the phone manufacuters is a good thing for us.

I only need to comment on the Bolded!

I have 2 BB's and an iPod Touch, BOTH BB's out perform the touch when dealing with MS Office documents, and on my tour 9630 I spend 2-3 hours a day average in Office Documents, mostly excel files, which is really where the Apple OS fails, Excel navigation is just cumbersome.

I would Hold off on buying your Storm 2, and waiting on a OS 6 device with the Webkit browser, the iphone WILL be your best web browsing experience.
    07-02-10 09:32 PM
    The OP should have thrown Android OS 2.2 in the mix.

• apps to SD card storage
    • 2-5 times faster OS (JIT)
    • faster browser
    • portable hotspot
    • device to cloud messaging

...and more...

I think all of them will be good. In the end, users who experience either one of the three should be happy.
    I would agree. In the end it comes down to personal preference. It doesn't matter what I think for you, or you think for me, the Iphone, BB, and Droid all have their respective places.
    07-02-10 10:41 PM
    Flame me if you want... Don't care. I am dumping my 9550 as soon as the Iphone hits the Big Red. If it does. Better apps and saving the apps to the onboard memory. Goodbye. That's enough for me. My Ipod touch KILLS this phone. It just doesn't make calls.

Hopefully it's not plagued by the same antenna and connectivity issues. I know quite a few people who were going to make the jump (me not one of them) and now with these issues they aren't going anywhere near the device. iphone 4 or earlier.

The PR Apple has handled so poorly is another reason.
    07-03-10 11:02 AM
    Is the BB OS 6 launched. Then make a compare, we will know which is better.
    07-04-10 03:23 AM
    I guess this OS 4 vs OS 6 can get answered when the OS 6 comes out and I get to see its battery life. There is nothing more annoying then having a flashy device and not wanting to use it to conserve battery life. I had the EVO and while it had all the whistles and bells it just wasn't practical. I quickly found out for me an ALL touchscreen is cumbersome and down right annoying when I'm in a rush.

My experience exactly...
    07-05-10 05:56 PM
    Right now OS6 is just Vaporware as far as I'm concerned. All we've seen is a video showing how it might work on a touchscreen device, and except for the storm series, there are no devices that are touch. Maybe when its released we can compare it to iOS4, but right now anyone who compares a released OS to an OS shown in a video....

Oh and Webkit was developed by Apple and is the underlying code in Safari, and a lot of other OS X and probably Apple written iPhone apps.

I'm anxious to see OS6 and a device from Sprint that will run it, but RIM is playing things too close to the vest. I'm of the opinion that leaks can keep customers, unless the leaks would show that what's coming isn't worth staying, so the silence is worrying me.
    07-06-10 09:38 AM
    Right now OS6 is just Vaporware as far as I'm concerned. All we've seen is a video showing how it might work on a touchscreen device, and except for the storm series, there are no devices that are touch. Maybe when its released we can compare it to iOS4, but right now anyone who compares a released OS to an OS shown in a video....

Oh and Webkit was developed by Apple and is the underlying code in Safari, and a lot of other OS X and probably Apple written iPhone apps.

I'm anxious to see OS6 and a device from Sprint that will run it, but RIM is playing things too close to the vest. I'm of the opinion that leaks can keep customers, unless the leaks would show that what's coming isn't worth staying, so the silence is worrying me.
    They've shown OS6 on the upcoming Blackberry Bold Slider phone, which uses touch and the trackpad. It's a video of a user just playing around with it, looks pretty smooth, when using the trackpad the motions are just as smooth and fluid as if you're using touch.
    07-06-10 09:48 AM
126 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD