[b]Jailbreak!

Jailbreak!
    Oh no! You are going to start a riot! Incoming security vulnerability lectures!!!
    05-26-10 06:44 PM
    , I can't even entertain the iPhone 4G until they remove iTunes as a requirement, and allow me to use a 3rd party software to control media on my phone, I already need to install a 3rd party software to manage excel /word files on my iPod Touch, which ticks me off, Apple makes great hardware, but they just do everything wrong for my needs.[/QUOTE]

I hate to burst your bubble but there are actually a few different software options. Sure one or two require you to jailbreak, but there are a couple that don't. Do just a little more research before you speak sometimes

PLEASE direct me to these softwares?
    I have a dormant iPod Touch that I would love to use for music if I could use NON iTunes, I'm not keen on having to jailbreak it to not use iTunes but if there is something that allows me to use the Latest OS, and NO iTunes I would use it, I went on 2 iPhone blogs and got NO help with alternatives to iTunes for Music/Movies/Pictures/Documents

Please provide links before you attack, thanks
    05-26-10 09:37 PM
    I know this is meant to be an os exclusive discussion, but I feel other features need to be pointed out. Besides the obvious facelift, the iPhone is also receiving many coveted features.
    1. An upgraded battery
    2. More ram
    3. Multitasking
    4. front facing camera, and flash (for rear one)
    5. Bigger screen
    6. (speculated) VERY VERY high resolution, perhaps true hd.
    7. video conferencing.
    8. noise canceling features, as those seen in the nexus one.

And those are just the things I can think of in the top of my head.
    I am rather infatuated with Rim right about now.. But nothing revolutionary seems to be coming from them. I really hate to point out the clamshell phone, but come on... And os 6.. well I hasn't really ALL that amazed by the video.. plus there were a few hiccups on the performance that made me weary. I am by no means an Apple fan boy, I'm looking at all this very objectively.
    05-27-10 02:35 AM
    I know this is meant to be an os exclusive discussion, but I feel other features need to be pointed out. Besides the obvious facelift, the iPhone is also receiving many coveted features.
    1. An upgraded battery
    2. More ram
    3. Multitasking
    4. front facing camera, and flash (for rear one)
    5. Bigger screen
    6. (speculated) VERY VERY high resolution, perhaps true hd.
    7. video conferencing.
    8. noise canceling features, as those seen in the nexus one.

And those are just the things I can think of in the top of my head.
    I am rather infatuated with Rim right about now.. But nothing revolutionary seems to be coming from them. I really hate to point out the clamshell phone, but come on... And os 6.. well I hasn't really ALL that amazed by the video.. plus there were a few hiccups on the performance that made me weary. I am by no means an Apple fan boy, I'm looking at all this very objectively.
    I agree. I like the new Slider, from what I have seen. It looks simple, the slider sounds nice, the fact that you can use the virtual k/b or the physical one whenever you wanted/needed too I love. But, the specs need to really be improved from other BBs out there IMO.

-The Camera, while I am not too concerned over it because I would only use it for taking a few pics here and there, should be upgraded. A front facing camera would be especially nice.
    -I would hope the screen resolution would be improved
    -More App memory
    -Faster processor/More ram.
    -Also, I would really really really hate if I still needed to do a battery pull simply because I visited a website that the BB couldn't handle, or do a battery pull often because the phone started to slow down more often then it should...
    -BB6 looked OK. I wasn't blown away. But it did look like a huge improvement over whe out dated OS we have now... But, it's funny, but for those who by the Slider with BB6 on it from day, week, or month 1, when a new software upgrade comes out for the phone, how LONG would we have to wait for it? Look how long took for 5.0 to come out...
    -I am really curious as to how good/bad the Youtube player will be. if it is as bad as what's on the Bold, that will be SAD.
    -Upgraded battery should be a given...

Hopefully the Slider 1 won't end up being a Storm 1...

And, that new Clam looks like it should have been released 2+ years ago...
    05-27-10 03:19 AM
    Oh no! You are going to start a riot! Incoming security vulnerability lectures!!!
    Jailbreaking is necessary for some and the apologists kind of gloss over this small little issue to really get the iphone working, while the fanboys start to sweat. BBs do not really need to be jailbroken.
    05-27-10 01:18 PM
    I fail to see how insstalling a hybrid is similar to jailnreaking. To me it would be the same thing as if the iPhone OS update was composed of packages, and you mixed sme packages from an old update with some packages from a new update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 02:01 PM
    Jailbreaking is necessary for some and the apologists kind of gloss over this small little issue to really get the iphone working, while the fanboys start to sweat. BBs do not really need to be jailbroken.
    Because BBs can't be jailbroken. There is nothing to jailbreak.

Fanboys sweat over what? The phone is usable jailbroken or not. You just get a little extra if you jailbreak.
    05-27-10 02:32 PM
    I fail to see how insstalling a hybrid is similar to jailnreaking. To me it would be the same thing as if the iPhone OS update was composed of packages, and you mixed sme packages from an old update with some packages from a new update.

I may have missed this, but did someone say it was? If you want to compare Jailbreaking to anything similar on the BB OS it would be that jailbreaking is 100x quicker to do than installing a beta, official or hybrid OS. And jailbreaking can be done faster than a BB can reboot. But other than that, jailbreaking isn't the same as installing a hybrid. I guess you can consider it a hybrid of some sort, because it still is the same OS with some other things tweaked, but it's not the same thing.
    05-27-10 02:35 PM
    I feel like I'm reading a Mac vs PC thread with all these stupid reliability comments and arbitrary comparisons.

I know a number of people who switched from iPhones to BBs because they got sick of them and all the problems they had. That must mean all iPhones suck right?

I don't care between the two, I'm sticking with BBs for now.

Get what suits you best. I don't give a rat's crack about having access to thousands of apps, I don't like pure touchscreens, and I'd rather be kicked in the nuts by the entire US World Cup men's team than deal with Apple's crap. Android looks intriguing, but I'm not jumping ship any time soon, my BB has been great to me.
    05-27-10 02:37 PM
    I feel like I'm reading a Mac vs PC thread with all these stupid reliability comments and arbitrary comparisons.

I know a number of people who switched from iPhones to BBs because they got sick of them and all the problems they had. That must mean all iPhones suck right?

I don't care between the two, I'm sticking with BBs for now.

Get what suits you best. I don't give a rat's crack about having access to thousands of apps, I don't like pure touchscreens, and I'd rather be kicked in the nuts by the entire US World Cup men's team than deal with Apple's crap. Android looks intriguing, but I'm not jumping ship any time soon, my BB has been great to me.
    Post of the century!

05-28-10 12:13 AM
    Post of the century!

Why? Because of an opinion which are like a-holes and everyone has one?
    05-28-10 12:40 AM
    Why? Because of an opinion which are like a-holes and everyone has one?
    Aint that the truth.

05-28-10 01:04 AM
    Let's day you are an Edmonton Oilers fan and I said anybody that cheers for a team not from Calgary is an *****. How would you respond?
    I'm starting to realize that no matter if its players or phones, we will always get into these pointless arguments to defend our manhood.

05-28-10 01:04 AM
    Wow, I really cannot believe the BB community is full of people this stupid.

OS6 will not touch the core of the OS. RIM has no reason to do so, and they are all just giving the outdated (both in looks and performance) BBOS a face lift.

iPhone OS4 will leave much to be desired. Android is what will advance to be the king of mobile OS's. Froyo will blow everything out of the water, including OS4.

Android is just damn impressive.
    05-28-10 01:37 AM
    Let's day you are an Edmonton Oilers fan and I said anybody that cheers for a team not from Calgary is an *****. How would you respond?
    I'm starting to realize that no matter if its players or phones, we will always get into these pointless arguments to defend our manhood.

I stopped reading right there.
    05-28-10 01:37 AM
    So you agree with me on the performance of the Oilers. Good to know.

05-28-10 02:08 AM
    Wow, I really cannot believe the BB community is full of people this stupid.

OS6 will not touch the core of the OS. RIM has no reason to do so, and they are all just giving the outdated (both in looks and performance) BBOS a face lift.

iPhone OS4 will leave much to be desired. Android is what will advance to be the king of mobile OS's. Froyo will blow everything out of the water, including OS4.

Android is just damn impressive.
    Damn right.

After looking at iPhone OS4, it's nice but not groundbreaking. I mean the iPhone's OS is already good but OS4 won't be able to touch Android OS 2.2. Froyo (2.2) is gonna bring more to the table.

IDK about BB's OS6 but it looks like a good improvement. At least get a much better browser.
    05-28-10 11:08 AM
    I dont know either, the only phone running OS6 so far is the slider and it looks ok, but its not as good a touchscreen and an iphone or Nexus/Incredible and not as good a keyboard phone as a 9000/9700 type phone. Sometimes trying to put everything in one phone makes is mediocre at everything instead of great in one area.
    You have used the slider a lot then to know it is worse as a keyboard phone then?

Personally, I think the slider is going to end up being a very good keyboard blackberry that has the major bonuses of the larger screen and touchscreen for when you don't need the keyboard.

Having a touchpad despite the touchscreen will also be nice since there are times when obscuring your view of the screen so that you can scroll isn't actually the best option, looking at the pictures it seems like the natural way to hold the device in landscape mode would lead to the touchpad being ideally placed under your thumb.
    05-29-10 05:44 AM
    I dont know either, the only phone running OS6 so far is the slider and it looks ok, but its not as good a touchscreen and an iphone or Nexus/Incredible and not as good a keyboard phone as a 9000/9700 type phone. Sometimes trying to put everything in one phone makes is mediocre at everything instead of great in one area.

RIM phones still lack memory or ability to store apps anywhere else. Even with 512mb the OS6 is larger itself and Flash sucks up memory so it wont be much more free than current models to store stuff
    You have used the slider a lot then to know it is worse as a keyboard phone then?

Personally, I think the slider is going to end up being a very good keyboard blackberry that has the major bonuses of the larger screen and touchscreen for when you don't need the keyboard.

Having a touchpad despite the touchscreen will also be nice since there are times when obscuring your view of the screen so that you can scroll isn't actually the best option, looking at the pictures it seems like the natural way to hold the device in landscape mode would lead to the touchpad being ideally placed under your thumb.
    I have to agree with you Skeevecr. No one here, as far as I know, has used the Slider yet. To say that the keyboard is not as good as a 9000/9700 keyboard... How do you even know? By looking at a video? That's like saying the Camaro is better than the Mustang without driving the new Camera, simply because you like the Mustang better than the older Camaro.

Granted, I am not a huge fan of sliders, but I kinda like this one, from what I have seen so far. Mostly because it looks/sounds solid in the video, though it still looks alittle plain. But also, I love how you can type on the virtual keyboard in landscape or portrait mode while surfing the web, or slide out the physical keyboard, if needed/wanted. Part of me would have liked a landscape slider, but again, I do still like this one, and if the slide out keyboard works as good as a candy bar style BB, that's even better. And I like the trackpad still being there, because, in my experience, sometimes some kind of physical interface where you can select a link, pic, copy/paste text, etc... is easier, better with a trackpad, but scrolling and zooming in/out by simply touching/tapping the screen is easier, faster than the trackpad, IMO.

My big issue with BBs is, they have become outdated, and somewhat boring, but that's mostly the OS. And browsing the web SUCKS!!! I think the music player is fine. The Memory is a pain, but then again, I am still using a Bold 9000. A better camera is always welcomed. But, for me, I hope the new BB Slider has
    -faster Processor
    -more Memory
    -more App memory
    -a MUCH Improved web browser
    -a better Youtube experience
    -a better screen
    -quicker boot time

Everything else, for the most part, works like it should for me. Messenger Programs work. Calendar works. I don't use BBM because no one I know is real life uses it, so I uninstalled it. So, while it was good, I don't see it as a reason I would keep my BB over something else, if I were to leave.

Also, RIM needs to address the issues of us having to wait months at a time for the updated OS. Sure, someone will say it's not Rims fault, it's the Carriers choice/fault, but, I don't really care whose fault it is. It looks bad when someone is still running the same OS for over year because they can't DL the "Official" update. Not everyone likes to jump through loops and remove .vendor files, or whatever, to DL a OS upgrade that, if it were to crash their system, they are SOL, and CS won't bother to help them.

And for everyone that says, "My BlackBerry Simply Works. If you want a "fun" phone, get a Droid or a iPhone." Well, my VCR Simply Works too, but my DVD player is faster, looks sharper, sounds better, has more features while watching a movie, and has more Memory... Basically, it's an upgrade over something that "simply works", only better. Now, I could go Blu-ray, but I like my DVD player, and while it "simply works", it's nice to have a few "cool/fun" features as well as the old tried and true reliable ones, like upscaling, surround sound, etc...
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 05-29-10 at 11:12 AM.
    05-29-10 11:05 AM

No, no ones used it but its common sense from an ergonomics perspective. when the slide slides over the keyboard there has to be clearance. You can see the theres a lip around the sides/bottom of the keybaord showing its recessed. I just dont believe it will be as good as a "regular" BB physical keyboard.

Weve seen this issue before on the Pre where they keyboard suffered because it was too recessed due to the slider.
    05-29-10 12:33 PM
    No, no ones used it but its common sense from an ergonomics perspective. when the slide slides over the keyboard there has to be clearance. You can see the theres a lip around the sides/bottom of the keybaord showing its recessed. I just dont believe it will be as good as a "regular" BB physical keyboard.

Weve seen this issue before on the Pre where they keyboard suffered because it was too recessed due to the slider.
    lol @ this guy
    05-29-10 12:54 PM

For all their supposed faults, one thing rim do seem to manage to get right are their keyboards and I expect them to do just as well with this one and there's plenty of ways to deal with potential issues relating to the slider such as it needs to move far enough above the top lines of keys so you can use those without any problems and far as the lip at the bottom (pictures make it seem negligible on the sides) as long as your thumbs can rest comfortably on it when typing that should be fine as well.
    05-29-10 01:36 PM
    lol @ this guy
    Are you doubting his expert take on a device he has never handled? For shame!
    05-29-10 02:15 PM
    I'm jumping ship if the moment arises when the iPhone is available on VZW - I am tired of my 9530's horrible battery life - Even in sleep mode, the battery loss is outrageous. By the time that I wake up after sleeping for ~8 hours, my phone has already freezed (black screen, no response... and lit up... so even when I use a battery pull, I will have to deal with low battery since it was not still in sleep mode.) - I used to love Blackberries - the scroll wheel was a nice innovation -> trackball was nice, however sensitivity would continually decrease -> touchscreen is not fluid, horribly written operating system, and a horrible device in general. I would move onto the trackpad (and I have used it before - It is a lot nicer than the trackball) but I'm tired of the lack of a quality operating system from RIM. I recently used an iPhone 3G - It was extremely fluid, and I can still reach ~60-90 gwam with their touchscreen keyboard.

In terms of reliability, Apple has excelled far more than RIM will ever. With releasing all of these unfinished devices, RIM's reputation has been diminished.
    05-30-10 01:29 PM
    It sounds like you got a bad 9530 there. I love the Tour myself.
    05-30-10 04:38 PM
126 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD