Just watched the video that's posted on BGR. It looks promising, without a doubt a step in the right direction. Youtube on it looks smooth and clear and the music player looks A LOT like Apple's. ****, it even has coverflow.

Now, they REALLY need to smooth out the multitouch zooming before release. It lagged and was not near as smooth or fluid as the iPhone. That swiping across the top bar in the menu seemed odd, why not just swipe anywhere on the screen? Maybe I missed something there. Overall not as fluid as the iPhone OS, but it's still not even released yet so we'll see.
    05-24-10 06:35 PM
    Just watched the video that's posted on BGR. It looks promising, without a doubt a step in the right direction. Youtube on it looks smooth and clear and the music player looks A LOT like Apple's. ****, it even has coverflow.

Now, they REALLY need to smooth out the multitouch zooming before release. It lagged and was not near as smooth or fluid as the iPhone. That swiping across the top bar in the menu seemed odd, why not just swipe anywhere on the screen? Maybe I missed something there. Overall not as fluid as the iPhone OS, but it's still not even released yet so we'll see.
    Agreed. Based on some of the about screens we have seen this is probably like 6.0.0.23. The first guy who got a leak of OS 5 was in the 80's and he said he wouldn't pass it on to a blind dog, that's how bad it was. Seeing the Book mark and history screen on the browser though scares the bee Jesus out of me, because that is the same as older OSes.

And besides that the dude in the video has something wrong with his digits. He pointer finger takes a bizarre turn there. Maybe that is why he keeps opening stuff instead of swiping.
    05-24-10 08:53 PM
    People are leaving for the apps, browser, and the random reboots/ever so annoying loading sqaure. RIMS operating system lacks a certain smoothness about it that Blackberry addicts have come to be used to and just except as oh its just Blackberry. Regular consumers don't like that. For a phone "that just works" The blackberry operating system has a lot of times where "it just isn't working" The more apps you install the slower the phone gets, you don't see that on android or the iPhone.
    If regular consumers don't like it, why have they made up 80% of the sales for the last five quarters?
    05-24-10 08:55 PM
    Looks ok so far IMO (no enough to bring me back though). I don't like how they basically copied Android's app drawer though.
    05-24-10 09:03 PM
    Looks ok so far IMO (no enough to bring me back though). I don't like how they basically copied Android's app drawer though.
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

In my opinion... take the best parts of each OS out there (be it iPhone, Android, WM [yeah right], or whatever) and make them into a cohesive phone. But also keep that BlackBerry flair that users have come to respect. I just hope that it all does flow and that RIM makes a model that can rival the iPhone 4 and Incredible spec wise.
    05-24-10 09:41 PM
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
    Very true, but imitation can lead to no innovation.
    05-24-10 09:48 PM
    I just hope that it all does flow and that RIM makes a model that can rival the iPhone 4 and Incredible spec wise.
    I don't know if the specs need to rival them, but rather equal them.
    05-24-10 10:19 PM
    I dont know either, the only phone running OS6 so far is the slider and it looks ok, but its not as good a touchscreen and an iphone or Nexus/Incredible and not as good a keyboard phone as a 9000/9700 type phone. Sometimes trying to put everything in one phone makes is mediocre at everything instead of great in one area.

RIM phones still lack memory or ability to store apps anywhere else. Even with 512mb the OS6 is larger itself and Flash sucks up memory so it wont be much more free than current models to store stuff
    05-24-10 11:32 PM
    Well said sir

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 12:15 AM
    Well said sir

it can lead to improvement though...
    05-25-10 12:47 AM
    what os6 needs is stability.. which will be a first for RIM

No matter how many laughs are created at apples expense for all the things they leave out of a phone (which they do), and the restrictive trade practices re software(which they have).. you cannot fault the reliability of the OS (even if functionality is limited).. in this one (and its a huge one) aspect apple os is vastly superior..
    05-25-10 03:53 AM
    RIM phones still lack memory or ability to store apps anywhere else. Even with 512mb the OS6 is larger itself and Flash sucks up memory so it wont be much more free than current models to store stuff
    Very true about the apps.

On the Memory footprint of Os 6 I just realized this...We saw the clam shell showing OS 6 and 311 mb free. So we all said OS 6 is over 200 mb, and a bit of a porker. But then look at the 9650 review on this site. He says the 9650 boots up with 309 free out of the box running OS 5. So maybe 6 is not really any better than 5, or maybe they are holding back some part of the 512 mb memory. We clearly see S2's running around with 130-150 mb free from a 256 base. Makes me wonder why the 9650 didn't show more like 375-400 free...
    05-25-10 04:43 AM
    what os6 needs is stability.. which will be a first for RIM

No matter how many laughs are created at apples expense for all the things they leave out of a phone (which they do), and the restrictive trade practices re software(which they have).. you cannot fault the reliability of the OS (even if functionality is limited).. in this one (and its a huge one) aspect apple os is vastly superior..
    This is very true. Look as OS X even, I've never had to restart a frozen Mac since my OS 9 green iMac from way back. I can't think of the last time my iMac froze.
    05-25-10 09:47 AM
    If you follow apples logic with the iPad it does. Everything they claim it does has been done before they just put it together. Just a thought.
    05-25-10 10:19 AM
    Flame me if you want... Don't care. I am dumping my 9550 as soon as the Iphone hits the Big Red. If it does. Better apps and saving the apps to the onboard memory. Goodbye. That's enough for me. My Ipod touch KILLS this phone. It just doesn't make calls.

That's pretty much how I feel. I love my berry but if VZW gets the new ifone, I'm switching fruit.
    05-25-10 10:21 AM
    If you follow apples logic with the iPad it does. Everything they claim it does has been done before they just put it together. Just a thought.
    Which is why so many have grilled Apple and it's ipad. It's not as revolutionary as the iPhone was, but it is put together well and works seemlessly while being feature rich.

You could argue that the iPhone OS has become stale, especially in light of Android making serious headway and features with every update.

05-26-10 01:38 PM
    You could argue that the iPhone OS has become stale, especially in light of Android making serious headway and features with every update.
    True, if you can get the newer/newest versions let alone for your device. Android is a mess right now with fragmentation and different skins added by manufacturers.

Even if you get less "features," Id take stability over the state of chaos Android is in with its versions and skins and what device is getting what
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-26-10 at 01:59 PM.
    05-26-10 01:56 PM
    True, if you can get the newer/newest versions let alone for your device. Android is a mess right now with fragmentation and different skins added by manufacturers.

Even if you get less "features," Id take stability over the state of chaos Android is in with its versions and skins and what device is getting what
    Froyo, and Gingerbread are the updates designed to fix the problems you have addressed in your post. google is aware of the "chaos" Although i don't mind it im on their phone no problems for me with updates
    05-26-10 02:03 PM
    True, if you cant get the newer/newest versions let alone for your device. Android is a mess right now with fragmentation and different skins added by manufacturers.
    Not really. Android is doing very well right now. I would have agreed before but come to think of it, the options give people choice. I personally prefer a stock Android device right now but there are many others who prefer Sense and/or MotoBlur.

And I don't think the iPhone's OS is stale. It's a little limited but still very usable - even more polished than Android IMO...
    05-26-10 02:04 PM
    I agree that people putting their own stuff on top is what will continue to cause the fragmentation. While the N1 is the poster child and gets them first and has Froyo now iirc, devices like the Evo will need to wait until HTC puts it's layer on top or users flash ROMs to it. This will always be an issue, no matter how fast or slow Google updates Android.

And for staleness on the iPhone OS we are just now getting multi-tasking and a rip-off Xbox Live (always makes me lol). Apple isn't going to stray from it's platform now, and is losing it's advantage everyday against the likes of Android who keeps stuffing every feature a user could want, great speed enhancements across the board without new hardware (see Froyo) and doesn't have a draconian approval process for Apps, which developers want.

I like my iPhone but truth be told my 3GS can't do the things I want it to do without some lameass reason behind it.

05-26-10 02:20 PM
    A bit off-topic, but I just found a old blog from 2007, that made me smile.

Everyone wanted to beat the Iphone from beginning
    05-26-10 02:48 PM
    lol thats a good find man, and yea since its release everyone has been trying to duplicate the impact Apple brought to the smartphone world with its consumer aimed Jesus Phone.
    05-26-10 02:59 PM
    It is not only a network issue, I run 2 phones all the time both on the same network, and there is noticeable difference in signal strength between the phones,

Battery Life isn't great on TOUCHSCREENS doesn't matter iphone or BB, neither has good batterylife, but between the Storm or the iPhone if I HAD to use them, I'd take a swappable battery and bring a second/third battery with me, heck even my Tour I am getting tempted for the second battery as some places I find myself I kill the battery in 4 hours with emails/BBM/ and signal hunting.

As for the OP question, BBOS6 vs iPhone 4G for me it will HAVE to be BBOS6, I can't even entertain the iPhone 4G until they remove iTunes as a requirement, and allow me to use a 3rd party software to control media on my phone, I already need to install a 3rd party software to manage excel /word files on my iPod Touch, which ticks me off, Apple makes great hardware, but they just do everything wrong for my needs.[
    I hate to burst your bubble but there are actually a few different software options. Sure one or two require you to jailbreak, but there are a couple that don't. Do just a little more research before you speak sometimes
    05-26-10 03:07 PM
    I hate to burst your bubble but there are actually a few different software options. Sure one or two require you to jailbreak, but there are a couple that don't. Do just a little more research before you speak sometimes
    Don't even mention jailbreaking. BB users take offense to that word.
    05-26-10 06:08 PM
    Jailbreak!

Jailbreak!
    05-26-10 06:31 PM
126 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD