Blackberry Bold 9650
    That's a dual-mode CDMA/GSM phone, so yes you can get it unlocked and for use with a local sim. What country are you visiting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 10:04 PM
    That's a dual-mode CDMA/GSM phone, so yes you can get it unlocked and for use with a local sim. What country are you visiting?

I'm going to England. The thing is Sprint doesn't use sim cards so it will work if I unlocked it, but it might not work if I try to use it when I get back.
    10-29-10 10:09 PM
    I'm going to England. The thing is Sprint doesn't use sim cards so it will work if I unlocked it, but it might not work if I try to use it when I get back.
    It will be fine. Sprint is a CDMA carrier, but there's nothing stopping you from unlocking the GSM side of the phone for use when travelling. It will still work on the CDMA network when you get back. Sprint might even give you the unlock code for free.

EDIT: It looks like Sprint ships the 9650 already unlocked, so all you need to do is pop in a local sim with a BlackBerry data plan attached to it and you're good to go.

10-29-10 10:13 PM
    It will be fine. Sprint is a CDMA carrier, but there's nothing stopping you from unlocking the GSM side of the phone for use when travelling. It will still work on the CDMA network when you get back. Sprint might even give you the unlock code for free.

EDIT: It looks like Sprint ships the 9650 already unlocked, so all you need to do is pop in a local sim with a BlackBerry data plan attached to it and you're good to go.

It didn't work. So I might have to unlock my phone.
    Last edited by sweetaylor; 10-29-10 at 10:28 PM. Reason: I DID WORK! OMG! I'M SO EXCITED! All I had to do was change the Network Technology from global to gsm.
    10-29-10 10:25 PM
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM card, and then type 'MEPD' - if it says 'Diabled' or 'Inactive' beside 'Service Provider' it is unlocked. If it says 'Active' then it is locked.

10-29-10 10:29 PM
    IT DID WORK! OMG! I'M SO EXCITED! All I had to do was change the Network Technology from global to gsm.
    10-29-10 10:29 PM
    I love BBM
    10-29-10 10:31 PM
    IT DID WORK! OMG! I'M SO EXCITED! All I had to do was change the Network Technology from global to gsm.
    Told ya! Much cheaper/more convenient then having to go out and get another phone eh?!

10-29-10 10:32 PM
    Told ya! Much cheaper/more convenient then having to go out and get another phone eh?!

YES! That's was sooooooo easy. I was stressing for no reason at all. They need to ship all BB's like that.
    10-29-10 10:36 PM
    YES! That's was sooooooo easy. I was stressing for no reason at all. They need to ship all BB's like that.
    Sprint has been pretty good about shipping their BlackBerry's unlocked lately. And even before they started shipping them unlocked, they would still provide you with the unlock code if you called and asked for it. Canadian carriers show us no such love though.

10-29-10 10:39 PM
    great thanks
    11-16-10 08:02 PM
    thanks for the info. much appreicated.
    01-15-11 08:52 PM
    This is pretty basic knowledge but this would be very useful for a noob who is unfamiliar so thank you for taking the time to write this up.
    01-17-11 06:49 PM
    Thanks for the info
    01-31-11 01:10 PM
    Hi I'm new to owning a Blackberry. I bought a used Curve 8310 and I had a friend(who has a Blackberry) go through the phone. She says that I do not have Blackberry Messenger. I know I can download the latest version here but I do not have an e-mail address for the phone and do not know how to set one up.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can solve this.
    02-04-11 10:07 PM
    Hi I'm new to owning a Blackberry. I bought a used Curve 8310 and I had a friend(who has a Blackberry) go through the phone. She says that I do not have Blackberry Messenger. I know I can download the latest version here but I do not have an e-mail address for the phone and do not know how to set one up.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can solve this.
    You can download it OTA (Over the Air) directly from your device, without an email address from:

www.blackberry.com/messenger

02-04-11 10:10 PM
    Thanks for the info....
    02-06-11 02:30 PM
    Who do I have to email to get my PIN ?
    02-06-11 02:37 PM
    Who do I have to email to get my PIN ?
    Just type 'mypin' + space in any text input screen and you'll see your pin.

02-06-11 02:47 PM
    No, but you can use your 'Messages' application to accomplish the same thing. You can set BBM's to go into 'Messages', as well as SMS and call logs.

You can also add contacts to BBM that don't have BlackBerry's, but you'd have to do this one-by-one I believe. And the messages would be delivered as SMS for those contacts.

Follow up question:

I have selected that BBM Messages not be shown in my universal message app. However, I have added people into my BBM as SMS friends. The SMS friends' messages still show up in my universal message app.

The problem is, I only want my BBM SMS contacts to show up in my BBM app. I want my other contacts to come up in the universal message app.

Can they be differentiated so that my BBM doesn't show up there but other contacts do?

Verizon 9650 Bold os 6
    03-11-11 02:59 PM
    Follow up question:

I have selected that BBM Messages not be shown in my universal message app. However, I have added people into my BBM as SMS friends. The SMS friends' messages still show up in my universal message app.

The problem is, I only want my BBM SMS contacts to show up in my BBM app. I want my other contacts to come up in the universal message app.

Can they be differentiated so that my BBM doesn't show up there but other contacts do?

Verizon 9650 Bold os 6
    I don't use the SMS BBM option, but I don't think that is possible (unfortunately). Either you have all your SMS messages in the universal messages inbox, or you have none.

03-11-11 03:05 PM
    shoot. thanks!

anywhere where i can give feedback to RIM on this?
    03-11-11 03:09 PM
    I have a question, I don't have a BIS or BES plan but my service provider has GPRS n EDGE connection n I have WiFi connection as well, will BBMessenger work somehow or I just need BIS n/or BES?

05-26-11 11:29 AM
    i miss bbm, i was reading on engadget a while ago that it is being released on all os platforms, true?
    05-30-11 06:28 PM
    In a multi-participant bbm chat (was invited)... I dont see a way to send a picture..? is this option avaliable?
    05-31-11 09:26 PM
684 ... 25262728
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD