What is BlackBerry Messenger?
    BlackBerry Messenger is an instant messenger program for BlackBerry-to-BlackBerry communication utilizing your PIN code.

What is a PIN, and where do I find mine?
    A PIN is an eight digit alpha-numeric sequence that is assigned to every BlackBerry device. You can find your PIN code by going to Options>Status>PIN. You can also find your PIN code by typing "mypin" into an email (no quotes). The BlackBerry will automatically insert your PIN code.

Where do I get BlackBerry Messenger?
    BlackBerry Messenger is built into some of the newer devices. If your device does not come preloaded with BlackBerry Messenger, you can download it at http://www.blackberry.com/messenger through Internet Explorer or your BlackBerry Browser. You cannot download it through FireFox Browser.

Do I need a data plan to use BlackBerry Messenger?
    Yes, BlackBerry Messenger sends pin messages through the BlackBerry servers. A BlackBerry internet plan is required to use this functionality.

Does BlackBerry Messenger cost money to use?
    No, BlackBerry Messenger is free to use. It simply uses data from your data plan. It does not use SMS.

How do I add a contact to BlackBerry Messenger?
    To add a contact, first open BlackBerry Messenger. Click the track wheel/track ball to bring up the menu and select add contact. When you click on add contact, you will be brought to your address book to select the contact you want to add. Simply click on the contact and select request. If you do not have the contact in your address book, scroll to the top of the list and highlight 'use once'. When you click the wheel, you will be able to request by PIN or by email. Select the appropriate one based on what information you possess. You will be offered the option to personalize the message sent to the recipient before your request is sent.

Are PIN messages private?
    The answer to this question is, it depends. If you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), you should assume none of your data is private as it all goes through the BES. If you are on a BIS, conversations are not stored on the device, so they should be relatively private. If you don't know if you are on a BIS or a BES, please see the thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what-bes-bis-1459/

None of my friends have a BlackBerry, who can I talk to using BlackBerry Messenger?
    Have no fear, CrackBerry.com is here! (Ok, that was cheesy ) If you are interested in chatting with other CrackBerry addicts, check out the http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/whats-your-pin-736/ thread. Entering your PIN into your profile on this site may generate chat conversations and BlackBerry Messenger Buddies. http://forums.crackberry.com/f47/how...pin-info-1072/
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-02-07 at 04:39 PM.
    10-02-07 04:01 PM
    Thanks for the info. Trevor! I'm sure some of the newbies will find this quite helpful!
    10-02-07 04:14 PM
    Great Info! But, how do I get my PIN to display in my profile in the forum?
    10-02-07 04:31 PM
    Sorry, I forgot to explain that. Check this out: http://forums.crackberry.com/f47/how...pin-info-1072/
    Great Info! But, how do I get my PIN to display in my profile in the forum?
    10-02-07 04:39 PM
    Thanks, I just couldn't figure that one out. Must've had another senior moment.
    10-02-07 04:44 PM
    Thanks, I just couldn't figure that one out. Must've had another senior moment.
    You're not the only one. After all, there is a sticky on it.
    10-02-07 04:46 PM
    Nicely done, Trevor...
    10-03-07 06:34 AM
    I see this thread is ancient, but I'll ask anyway.
    Are you sure blackberry messenger uses a data plan? I don't have a t-mobile browser data plan (I do have unlimited e-mail), and blackberry messenger works great!! Is it compatible with my phone since the unlimited e-mail plan accesses blackberry servers or what?
    10-10-07 11:40 PM
    This is exactly what I needed, even my friend who has had a blackberry didnt know how to do this.
    10-11-07 09:27 AM
    what is the R and the D above the checkmark? Delivered and Received?
    10-12-07 11:00 AM
    what is the R and the D above the checkmark? Delivered and Received?
    Delivered (to the handheld) and Read, I believe.
    10-12-07 11:27 AM
    Ok, I've searched everywhere in this forum and still haven't found the answer.

When I want to add a contact in my messenger -- at first, it would give me the option to choose by email or by pin.

Now, it seems that when someone sends me their pin, the messenger only gives me the option to add a contact through email.

Then, if I want to add a contact through email, it only gives me the option to do a pin.

It doesn't even give me the option to pick or choose how I want to add someone, what am I doing wrong????
    10-13-07 03:35 PM
    Ok, I've searched everywhere in this forum and still haven't found the answer.

When I want to add a contact in my messenger -- at first, it would give me the option to choose by email or by pin.

Now, it seems that when someone sends me their pin, the messenger only gives me the option to add a contact through email.

Then, if I want to add a contact through email, it only gives me the option to do a pin.

It doesn't even give me the option to pick or choose how I want to add someone, what am I doing wrong????
    How do I add a contact to BlackBerry Messenger?
    To add a contact, first open BlackBerry Messenger. Click the track wheel/track ball to bring up the menu and select add contact. When you click on add contact, you will be brought to your address book to select the contact you want to add. Simply click on the contact and select request. If you do not have the contact in your address book, scroll to the top of the list and highlight 'use once'. When you click the wheel, you will be able to request by PIN or by email. Select the appropriate one based on what information you possess. You will be offered the option to personalize the message sent to the recipient before your request is sent.
    That didn't work? Are you saying that there is only one option there?
    10-13-07 03:44 PM
    That didn't work? Are you saying that there is only one option there?
    YES! Isn't that weird, it's only giving me ONE option and that's email. But sometimes, it will give me the option of using a PIN. It's like it randomly chooses when it wants to, what I have to use in order to add someone.

I will try to show you a video to show you what I am doing.
    10-13-07 06:24 PM
    YES! Isn't that weird, it's only giving me ONE option and that's email. But sometimes, it will give me the option of using a PIN. It's like it randomly chooses when it wants to, what I have to use in order to add someone.

I will try to show you a video to show you what I am doing.
    That's odd, first I would say do a battery pull and see if you get both options.

If that doesn't work you could always go into your address book and add a contact with the email/pin you have. Then when you click add you can just click their name instead of use once. Let us know how it works out.
    10-13-07 06:28 PM
    Nope, nothing. I did a battery pull. Then went back in and it still only gives me the "email" option. Then I added the pin to 1 of my contacts to see if I can just add them though there and it went under pending. Called my buddy up to see if she got my request and she said she didn't.
    10-13-07 10:40 PM
    I think I have a solution... I had the same problem on my 8800... This is how I do it:

1. Make sure you have the PIN for the contact you want to add already in your address book...

2. Open BlackBerry Messenger. Click the track wheel/track ball to bring up the menu and select add contact.

3. When you click on add contact, you will be brought to your address book to select the contact you want to add.

4. DO NOT simply click on the contact and select request.

5. Instead bring up the menu using the blackberry menu button (the one with the logo) and then you should see "Request (PIN) name of contact"... (as long as that contact has a PIN associated with them in the address book, step1)
    10-14-07 10:31 AM
    Nope, nothing. I did a battery pull. Then went back in and it still only gives me the "email" option. Then I added the pin to 1 of my contacts to see if I can just add them though there and it went under pending. Called my buddy up to see if she got my request and she said she didn't.
    Hmm, I am out of suggestions. Maybe someone else can help you.
    10-14-07 10:55 AM
    I think I have a solution... I had the same problem on my 8800... This is how I do it:

1. Make sure you have the PIN for the contact you want to add already in your address book...

2. Open BlackBerry Messenger. Click the track wheel/track ball to bring up the menu and select add contact.

3. When you click on add contact, you will be brought to your address book to select the contact you want to add.

4. DO NOT simply click on the contact and select request.

5. Instead bring up the menu using the blackberry menu button (the one with the logo) and then you should see "Request (PIN) name of contact"... (as long as that contact has a PIN associated with them in the address book, step1)

This worked!! Thanks!!!!
    10-14-07 12:56 PM
    This worked!! Thanks!!!!
    I thought that is what I told you to do above Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. Oh well, glad to see you got it working.
    ...If that doesn't work you could always go into your address book and add a contact with the email/pin you have. Then when you click add you can just click their name instead of use once...
    10-14-07 01:42 PM
    is there anyway to use different languages on bb messenger? or anyway to add another language to a bberry 8830....
    10-14-07 01:51 PM
    is there anyway to use different languages on bb messenger? or anyway to add another language to a bberry 8830....
    You can change the default language in the settings. Options>Language
    10-14-07 02:01 PM
    no other languages here, how do i get them in there
    10-14-07 02:07 PM
    no other languages here, how do i get them in there
    Could you fill in your profile on this site so we know what device and carrier you are using? Quick Links>Edit Profile.

You most likely deleted the language when you setup your device. I think you need to reinstall the OS to get them back.
    10-14-07 02:09 PM
    french and spanish are only ones i can find....any modules out there for russian?
    10-14-07 02:27 PM
684 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD