hey guys

im having trouble getting the BB messenger to work. I highlight the contact that i know has a BB, and select send to messenger... then a box pops up that says contact empty....

so, i tried plan B,
    i open the BB messenger screen and "add contact".. again, selecting the contact that i know has a BB, and it says again "contact empty"

i dont have the data plan, i dont know if thats mandatory. i just got the ability to send mms.... (thanks for the tip!)

so, if anyone can help out, much appreciated

ps, am i buggin out, or does the BB NOT allow me to video message??

oh, and can i use the IM features without having the data package?

thanks again guys
    06-12-07 06:34 PM
    As far as messenger goes, make sure that the contact you're trying to add not only has a BB, but within their contact info, you cannot send the invite to a phone number. you must have either have their email addy or the other person's PIN to send the request to. once you add that to their contact info within the address book, you can add them to your messenger contacts, which will send the request to them to allow you to add them to your contact list.

For your question of "will it work" even without the data plan, it should, but be aware that you WILL be taxed heavily by your provider if it goes through. from what i understand, the icons only show up on a BB if your carrier allows you access to them, regardless of what your plan is. So if your Messenger and Browser icons show up and you use them without any sort of data plan, you'll be charged your carrier's rate of kilobytes used (oftentimes in the 1.5 cents/kb range, might be higher or lower). Doesn't sound like much, but it will add up.

My suggestion -- get a data plan. You'll need it, esp for all of the features on the BB. I've heard mannnnny a horror story from people who dont get data plans (or heaven forbid, the "limited" data plans) and end up with monthly bills in the range of $500-1000 USD just on their data alone, and wonder how it happened to them. Unless you can stay away from all data features religiously, pay for the data plan and use it freely.
    06-13-07 01:28 AM
    Hey
    I just got my blackberry yesterday. I have a question? How can i get my blackberry messenger to send stuff through my blackberry email address. It keeps going through my gmail account. I have no idea on how to fix it.
    06-15-07 07:57 PM
    Darkness910, I don't get it, why are you even doing email 'stuff' via BlackBerry Pin Messenger?
    06-15-07 08:42 PM
    Hello,
    Is there a way to Setup Blackberry Messenger with out a Data Plan from AT&T?

Also I was able to download Yahoo Messenger to my Blackberry Pearl but when I try to log-in; it prompted me to visit the blackberry,com/yahoo to activate my hanheld but when I try to create a new account by entering my PIN and IMEI, I get a message the my PIN and IMEI is not recognize. Please help me if anyone knows how to trobleshoot this. Thank You...
    06-27-07 02:10 PM
    hey guys

im having trouble getting the BB messenger to work. I highlight the contact that i know has a BB, and select send to messenger... then a box pops up that says contact empty....

so, i tried plan B,
    i open the BB messenger screen and "add contact".. again, selecting the contact that i know has a BB, and it says again "contact empty"

i dont have the data plan, i dont know if thats mandatory. i just got the ability to send mms.... (thanks for the tip!)

so, if anyone can help out, much appreciated

ps, am i buggin out, or does the BB NOT allow me to video message??

oh, and can i use the IM features without having the data package?

thanks again guys
    Hello Thug2MD,
    Have you receive my questions regarding the MMS Connection.

Please reply. Thanks!
    06-27-07 02:13 PM
    Hello,
    Is there a way to Setup Blackberry Messenger with out a Data Plan from AT&T?

Also I was able to download Yahoo Messenger to my Blackberry Pearl but when I try to log-in; it prompted me to visit the blackberry,com/yahoo to activate my hanheld but when I try to create a new account by entering my PIN and IMEI, I get a message the my PIN and IMEI is not recognize. Please help me if anyone knows how to trobleshoot this. Thank You...
    Without a BB Data Plan those programs will not work.
    06-27-07 04:18 PM
    Getting a BlackBerry without a data plan is either financial suicide or serious cellphone overkill. BlackBerries were created as data devices. They were'nt even phones at all for the first few years. By all that is holy, GET YOURSELF A DATA PLAN!

Communications that go over the BB data packet network:
    -BB PIN messages to other BB users
    -all IMs using the JiveTalk 3rd-party app (HIGHLY recommended)
    -ringtone and other downloads
    -ALL internet usage (only the crappy MediaMall is free)

Things you will be charged heavily for, per KB, with no data plan:
    -every MMS message
    -any thing downloaded (games, ringtones, wallpapers, applications, etc., so not only do you pay to purchase the item, you pay mucho extra to download it!)
    -all e-mail received on your phone.

Any IM sent via AIM, Yahoo!, ICQ, Google Talk, etc... will count as an SMS text message and come off your text messaging plan.

I have an unlimited data plan that comes with 1500 text messsages, which I only use when I text my son or another non-BB person. I can chat via BB Messenger with my wife all day, send her PIN messages, chat on MSN and Yahoo all day (using JiveTalk), surf the web, check personal e-mails, etc... for one flat rate. My corporate discount certainly helps, but it's not too unreasonable. If you don't want this type of functionality, you don't need a BlackBerry.
    06-28-07 08:50 AM
    Thank you for the quick response. How come Thug2mdis able to use MMS with out a Data Plan. How do I get that?
    06-28-07 10:27 AM
    T-Mobile will allow MMS without a data package, but I don't think AT&T does.
    06-28-07 10:32 AM
    Really... but I heard some other people with AT&T they're able to use the MMS and Yahoo Messenger.

How about the JiveTalk is that a Free Download? I read it in some of the other forum.

Thank you for the reponse,
    Friend
    06-28-07 10:39 AM
    I downloaded JiveTalk because AT&T doesn't allow Y!IM on their BlackBerries. If you point your Blackberry browser to http://mobile.blackberry.com and attempt to download it, it says in the fine print under the download link, "Yahoo! Messenger, designed for Blackberry devices, is not currently available for customers of AT&T or customers whose wireless service providers are based in Algeria, Bahrain,...." I have no idea how they limit this (possibly by witholding a service book?).

JiveTalk is free for a 30-day trial. A single-device license is $19.95, non-transferrable. Single-user is $29.95, transferrable to anotgher BB device.
    06-28-07 01:33 PM
    For verizon blackberry devices, does it use up text messages to use blackberry messenger? Including if the other person has a different provider?
    06-28-07 09:42 PM
    I still believe it's data...
    06-28-07 10:36 PM
    Blackberry Messenger is PIN-to-PIN, does NOT use SMS.
    06-29-07 08:35 AM
    T-Mobile will allow MMS without a data package, but I don't think AT&T does.
    Ouch, wait till you get yout T-Mobile bill. Cheaper to spring for the data plan.
    06-29-07 11:40 AM
    For some reason or another when I try to DL the BB messenger I get a error stating that AT&T dont allow it??? Anyone out there have the same prob?
    06-29-07 11:41 AM
    Ouch, wait till you get yout T-Mobile bill. Cheaper to spring for the data plan.
    MMS does not use your data plan, you have to have a separate SMS/MMS plan.
    06-29-07 11:46 AM
    For some reason or another when I try to DL the BB messenger I get a error stating that AT&T dont allow it??? Anyone out there have the same prob?
    Officially AT&T doesn't support BB Messenger, but many users have downloaded it and been using it with no problems. What device are you using?
    06-29-07 11:47 AM
    My AT&T Curve came with BB Messenger installed by default. AT&T does not officially allow the Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry...
    06-29-07 11:52 AM
    I beleive the Curve is the first device where they allowed the program.
    06-29-07 04:33 PM
    I am a user french sorry !

My question : Blackberry Messenger service is paying or free ?

Thank's.
    Last edited by Micka; 06-30-07 at 07:28 AM.
    06-30-07 07:23 AM
    Free, well, it's part of your data package...
    06-30-07 08:38 AM
    Ok, it's good ! But I believe that it is paying for the international. I believe that it is 1 cent / message... You're confirmed ?

bye
    Last edited by Micka; 06-30-07 at 09:10 AM.
    06-30-07 08:50 AM
    The wife and I recently got replacement AT&T Pearls (replacement for problem BlackJacks we had) and both came pre-installed with the BB messenger. They were full AT&T branded if this might make a difference, and when setting up the data plan asked specifically about it being data and the CSR said that is how they are supportig it.
    06-30-07 12:06 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD