Are messages that I send using blackberry messenger recorded anywhere like SMS messages on my cellular providers servers?
    08-05-08 10:02 PM
    Only if you are on a BES .. If not you shouldn't have to worry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 10:03 PM
    I just found that out as well! If you are not on BES your SMS and BB messenger messages are not recorded anywhere. If you are on BES everything can be recorded.
    08-05-08 10:08 PM
    I'm skeptical of this info. Is this true? If that's the case, then if I'm on BES but the person I'm messaging is not, what exactly is recorded? Half the conversation? Could make for some hilarious innuendo.

08-05-08 10:16 PM
    Both. Your company will have the record of sent and received.
    08-05-08 10:18 PM
    I am new at all of this and just basically asked the same question in another thread. Here is the information that JeffH posted for me:

Yes, he can under certain circumstances:
    Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.
    08-05-08 10:19 PM
    Well isn't that special. No more cybering my gf I guess. What if you're on BES but have a BIS-managed email account?

08-05-08 10:31 PM
    Well isn't that special. No more cybering my gf I guess. What if you're on BES but have a BIS-managed email account?

I believe they can see that as well.
    08-05-08 10:32 PM
    WLM, GTalk, YIM? C'mon! Give me something!
    It's not so much for the purposes of protecting intellectual property. Fine. But it's the nosey/bored BES admin that irks me.

08-05-08 10:38 PM
    Scary. Wells - 1984.
    08-06-08 12:34 AM
    Scary. Wells - 1984.
    Not really. The company issues the device and has every right
    to set the policy of use. And they have every right to ensure
    that the policy is being followed. BES Admins are not nosy or
    nefarious in any way. They are doing their job.

If an EE decides not to follow, or attempts to circumvent known
    company policy, then they deserve what ever comes their way.

You want privacy, buy your own BB. Simple.
    08-06-08 12:45 AM
    Are messages that I send using blackberry messenger recorded anywhere like SMS messages on my cellular providers servers?
    I called both my provider (T-Mobile) and RIM to find the answer to this question and here's what I was told:

1. If you are on BES then both your text messages AND your BB Messenger messages can and probably are being recorded somewhere.

2. If you are on BIS then your SMS messages are still being retained by your provider (it's the law, I believe) but BB Messenger is secure.

That is what RIM and T-Mobile told me today. Hope it helps.

Anthony
    08-06-08 04:15 PM
    I called both my provider (T-Mobile) and RIM to find the answer to this question and here's what I was told:

1. If you are on BES then both your text messages AND your BB Messenger messages can and probably are being recorded somewhere.

2. If you are on BIS then your SMS messages are still being retained by your provider (it's the law, I believe) but BB Messenger is secure.

Anthony
    Thank you very much. The question now is how do I know if i'm on BES or BIS.

Is the BES controlled by your company in the form of your employer or your provider? Based on your answer I suspect it is the former, it this correct?

Lorna
    08-06-08 06:38 PM
    Thank you very much for the replies. The next question is how do you know what type of server you are on, be it BES or BIS?
    08-06-08 06:41 PM
    If it is your personal BB and you pay the bill, it is almost always likely BIS

If it was issued by your company and they pay the bill - likely BES

Although there are some people who put their BB's on the ER's BES
    08-06-08 06:43 PM
    I'm new at this. What is the ER
    08-06-08 06:56 PM
    Sorry,
    EE = Employee
    ER = employer
    08-06-08 06:57 PM
    Thanks. Guess it would serve them right if they do that.
    08-06-08 07:01 PM
    WLM, GTalk, YIM? C'mon! Give me something!
    It's not so much for the purposes of protecting intellectual property. Fine. But it's the nosey/bored BES admin that irks me.

If you need to communicate that badly while at work, get another device. In all honesty, you can't really be mad, after all it is their network & their device. They should have free reign to see what is coming and going on their device.
    08-06-08 07:02 PM
    Ah but you are wrong. It is my device, it came with me - I'm a long-term consultant, and they added me to their BES for corporate email and calendar. At the time I knew that PIN messaging or my BIS email was private. Now it concerns me with the changes. It would suck to have to carry 2 devices around.

08-07-08 05:40 AM
    pin2pin didn't used to go through a BES or BIS server.. it used to strictly go through the wireless RIM network and bypasses those servers. Sine BES 4.1, admins can enable pin2pin, SMS, and call logging.. no communication on the BlackBerry is secure unless the message is encrypted.. you can set up your own encrypted email account if necessary.. for more info PM me
    09-21-08 12:57 AM
    this may be a stupid question . . but can u encrypt sms / mms / bbm?
    09-21-08 01:08 AM
    nope.. not on a BB at least.. SMS and similar methods aren't meant for security/privacy.. the only real way to do it is to encrypt email AND to take the email server out of the hands of the admins.. you can encrypt your emails all you want but IT admins have access to the info regardless.. I work for a company who uses 4096 bit encryption on emails on the BlackBerry itself as well as offshores the server/hosting itself to get it away from prying eyes. Emails stored on the server are also encrypted at 4096 bit encryption. Securing communication is not an easy thing to do.. Security/privacy breaches are done by insiders over 80% of the time so you can't even trust your own IT guys.
    09-21-08 01:25 AM
    It's really quite simple actually.

If you want privacy then don't register/use your phone on a BES network.
    09-21-08 11:54 AM

Anthony

what would they need those for?
    09-21-08 12:00 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD