ok i have officially had my blackberry 8830 now for a week and i think the only application that i havent opened is blackberry messenger mainly b.c i have no idea if it is free or what i need to use it .. can someone please fill me in >??? thank you sooo much
    07-18-07 12:25 AM
    If you have a data package you can use BB Messenger. If you have unlimited data, then it won't cost you anything to use it other than your monthly data fee.

It's a great app, and I use it all the time.
    07-18-07 12:32 AM
    kasper,

Is this where you would PIN someone?
    07-18-07 12:33 AM
    That's right, SammyB. Plus you can Pin ANY BlackBerry device, once you know the Pin number. You can actually add them via email address, too...
    07-18-07 04:28 AM
    I don't understand why anyone would use the blackberry messenger. I mean why not just text back and forth? I have a good friend of mines PIN number but we send SMS text back and forth and that works fine. What advantage would it be if we used the blackberry messenger instead? Thanks in advance!
    07-18-07 06:53 AM
    tiger, good question. i would like to know the answer to question as well.
    07-18-07 07:25 AM
    It depends on the plan you have ... Text messages have a cost in most cases, and a PIN uses the data network, and the pin messages are compressed so much hundreds of pin's would be = to a txt message

Thats the way I had it explained to me.
    07-18-07 08:08 AM
    To put it simply, nothing beats FREE!
    07-18-07 08:16 AM
    Yep, BB Messenger does not count against your text message allotment and uses far less data. Unlimited data plan=unlimited PIN/BBM messaging. Since my wife and I both have BlackBerries now, we don't use SMS at all anymore. Well, only for messaging our non-BlackBerry-enabled friends.
    07-18-07 08:29 AM
    Why send a friend 500 sms messages when your plan only gives you 1000 a month.when you can pin 10,000 real time for free.plus
    07-18-07 08:38 AM
    OIC. I have unlimited data and 250 text messages per month. most of my friends/coworkers etc don't have the blackberry messenger so i would still have to send text to so even if using the blackberry messenger is free I would still have to pay for the 250 text per month. I guess it's all the same in my case.

Does the other person have to have a blackberry or use the same carrier to send them a blackberry message using a PIN? If not then I'll cancell the 250 messages and just PIN from now own
    07-18-07 08:39 AM
    PINs identify individual BB devices, like a MAC address for network cards. PIN messages go directly over the data network from device to device, regardless of carrier (PIN-to-PIN messaging). Add anyone you know (or meet on this site!) with a BlackBerry to your BB Messenger contacts list and use BBM to IM with them. This will save your SMS text message allotment for your non-BB folks.

If you also chat or IM with Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, etc... I highly recommend downloading JiveTalk. It allows you to IM with multiple accounts, and all IMs go over the data network, so they DO NOT cost you text messages!
    07-18-07 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

SammyB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-07 10:07 AM
    Is it free to text via BB messenger internationally?
    07-18-07 10:25 AM
    Is it free to text via BB messenger internationally?
    Good question. I'd imagine so. Anyone outside the USA wanna PIN me and find out?
    07-18-07 11:11 AM
    Yes, it's still data! I speak with people in London, and the likes all the time. Thank God for BlackBerry Pin Messenger. Now only if more of my friends (the 5 that I have) would get BlackBerry's...
    07-18-07 11:56 AM
    So my fiance and I both have BB. She has a 1mb data plan, and instead of txting eachother we just bb messenger eachother. does this count against her data? i know PINs are free, but is bb msging? please let me know.
    10-14-07 04:12 PM
    Pin messages, bb messenger messages, emails all count against your data package.
    10-14-07 06:06 PM
    BB messenger is 10x faster, you can send photos back and forth, you can send voice notes back and forth at a quick speed.. i love BB messenger, but i dont think it will work with all BB, you have to have data plan or else it wont work.. i think
    10-14-07 08:34 PM
    BB messenger is 10x faster, you can send photos back and forth, you can send voice notes back and forth at a quick speed.. i love BB messenger, but i dont think it will work with all BB, you have to have data plan or else it wont work.. i think
    correct, you need a data plan for bb messenger.
    10-14-07 08:56 PM
    how is the data sent through a bb msg or a PIN measured? is there a general comparison that would say you can send approx 500 bb msgs a month? or 500 PINS a month and not go over 1mb?

Thanks everyone for your help.
    10-16-07 06:05 PM
    Berry- There is no way to tell you as the data used per message depends on the size of the message. A lot of people have asked this same question but no one has a real answer.
    10-16-07 06:28 PM
    I like the fact tht I can send picture messages in the BB messenger.
    If I had to send MMS tht would have been 16 cents/ MMS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-16-07 at 08:40 PM. Reason: .16 cents doesn't equal 16 cents!!!
    10-16-07 06:44 PM
    I recently got a bb curve and an unlimited data plan with at&t. I only have 200 text messages per month and my account has definitely been charging me a text message everytime I bbm someone. I called at&t and they told me that bbming counts against my texts. According to this thread, this shouldn't be happening but it is. Has anyone else had this problem with at&t?

thanks
    06-20-08 01:17 PM
    "I don't understand why anyone would use the blackberry messenger. I mean why not just text back and forth? I have a good friend of mines PIN number but we send SMS text back and forth and that works fine. What advantage would it be if we used the blackberry messenger instead? Thanks in advance!"

Some cool benefits of messenger over sms text:
    First, the fact that the whole conversation unfolds right there on one screen. you don't have to press reply, then wait for a response, open that message, press menu --> reply again bla bla bla. You can just send receive send receive and see it all right there. Number two, you can ping!!! number three, you can send little 10 second voice notes. Number three you can easily send a file of a ring tone, a picture or whatever. Number four, there's all kinds of little emoticons to add in. Number five, you can invite someone else with a pin to the message, so you can have a little 3 way conversation going on (how in the world could you do that with sms?!?!) So those reasons make me wonder why in the world you would ever sms text someone when you have their pin and could just im!!!
    06-22-08 09:00 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD