I like app but not many of my friends have got BBs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 09:28 PM

If you also chat or IM with Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, etc... I highly recommend downloading JiveTalk. It allows you to IM with multiple accounts, and all IMs go over the data network, so they DO NOT cost you text messages!
    I highly agree I tell my friends/family if they are home to IM me because I have Jivetalk running 24/7 that saves on my texts per month...
    06-22-08 11:15 PM
    I recently got a bb curve and an unlimited data plan with at&t. I only have 200 text messages per month and my account has definitely been charging me a text message everytime I bbm someone. I called at&t and they told me that bbming counts against my texts. According to this thread, this shouldn't be happening but it is. Has anyone else had this problem with at&t?

thanks
    I'm not a fan of AT&T I had it way back when it was Cingular.....and they ripped us off every chance they got.....at least thats what my parents said at the time I was a freshmen in highschool...

We switched to sprint and have been with them for at least 8 years.....
    06-22-08 11:18 PM
    Don't think this has been mentioned yet...with text you are limited to 140 characters (at least we are with Bell Mobility), with BB Messenger you are only limited by your fingers ability! Plus the fact, as mentioned, that you can send files and use emoticons, it makes for a great little app!
    06-23-08 09:09 AM
    Forgive me if this has been addressed, but do PIN messages know international boundaries? In other words - am I getting out of an expensive text msg by using PIN msging to talk with my daughter in france? We are new to the bb world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 12:04 AM
    Yes, Blackberry PIN messenger is internation because its data. It is just like sending an email.
    Last edited by adamtech; 06-24-08 at 07:20 AM. Reason: messenger no messager
    06-24-08 07:19 AM
    Hi i'm new to the whole BB world, so since BB messaging counts against your data plan, how big does a normal message? i know that text messaging is about 1K per message? the reason i ask this is because I live in manila and travel between Hong Kong and manila frquently and the unlimited data packages are very expensive, thanks
    08-27-08 01:11 AM
    BB Messanger is awesome! I use it all the time.
    08-27-08 08:09 AM
    Hi i'm new to the whole BB world, so since BB messaging counts against your data plan, how big does a normal message? i know that text messaging is about 1K per message? the reason i ask this is because I live in manila and travel between Hong Kong and manila frquently and the unlimited data packages are very expensive, thanks

I don't know exactly, but PIN messages (BBM uses PIN messaging) are VERY small.
    08-27-08 09:38 AM
    I have three "pending" contacts in messenger. How do I move/approve them?
    08-27-08 11:49 AM
    I have an unlimited text plan, data is charged. I should NOT use bb messenger, right?

Also, on Windows Live Messenger for blackberry, how much is each message (in bytes/kilobytes)? Because I get charged by the Mb, so if its like a number in single figure bytes it should be okay...
    01-29-09 12:42 PM
    BBM and Jivetalk are perfect for people with unlimited data plans. All of the communications over these (plus e-mail) are included in the data plan.

Our daughter doesn't have a BB, so we end up sending SMS messages back and forth, so we have the smaller text plan (she has unlimited). Everything else we do is via BBM and JiveTalk.

If you don't have an unlimited data plan, then it might make sense to do SMS instead. It all depends on the amount of texting BBMing and other things you do with your phone.

I love hte fact that with BBM, you are limited to the message size (like SMS) and you can send files/pics/voice without MMS charges.

I just wish I knew more people with BBs!
    01-30-09 10:29 AM
    I recently got a blackberry curve 8320 and as soon as I got it, one of my co workers updated my software from a 4.2 to a 4.5. After he did that I went home and uploaded the software from the disk that came with the phone on to my computer. I then tried to back up my info from the computer using the disk and it would not work at all. Now, when I was uploading the disk to my computer it said something about using with 4.2 software. My question is how do I back my phone up being that I upgraded my software to a 4.5 or does it even matter???? Should I be able to backup my info using any blackberry disk.
    01-30-09 11:34 AM
    Good question. I'd imagine so. Anyone outside the USA wanna PIN me and find out?

You actually need to have an international data package on your account, if you do not then you would be charged international rates.
    01-30-09 03:29 PM
    I recently got a blackberry curve 8320 and as soon as I got it, one of my co workers updated my software from a 4.2 to a 4.5. After he did that I went home and uploaded the software from the disk that came with the phone on to my computer. I then tried to back up my info from the computer using the disk and it would not work at all. Now, when I was uploading the disk to my computer it said something about using with 4.2 software. My question is how do I back my phone up being that I upgraded my software to a 4.5 or does it even matter???? Should I be able to backup my info using any blackberry disk.

It does not matter if you have upgraded your firmware it could be a curroption with the software on the disc if your carrier is att you can go to att.com/bbdownloads (if not you can simply go to blackberry) and download the desktop software from the website. They also have more recent versions of the desktop manager.
    01-30-09 03:32 PM
    I have an unlimited text plan, data is charged. I should NOT use bb messenger, right?

Also, on Windows Live Messenger for blackberry, how much is each message (in bytes/kilobytes)? Because I get charged by the Mb, so if its like a number in single figure bytes it should be okay...

If you are charged for data then you should not use the bbm, but most of the time if you do not have a data plan the bbm will not work properly.
    01-30-09 03:35 PM
    is it necessary to have a data plan to use bbm? or can i just use wifi for it work?
    02-03-09 09:24 PM
    I have limited texting (200) per month. I use BBM for my friends with BB's and texting for everyone else. So far, I haven't had to up my texting plan so I can save a little $$$ each month.
    02-03-09 09:40 PM
    is it necessary to have a data plan to use bbm? or can i just use wifi for it work?
    You have to have a data plan.
    02-04-09 08:48 AM
    I keep reading about size of text mesages,etc... just a little FYI

A BYTE is 8 BITS. Technically, every letter or symbol will be a BIT. 8 of those will be a byte. A KiloBYTE would be 1024 BYTES.... SO a KiloBYTE would technically be 8192 CHARACTERS. The problem would be when the message is transmitted, there would be alot more data 'appended' to the transfer resulting in a much larger message size. The data being added to the message would be encyrption and the like. Even with Microsoft Word nowadays... the .docx files are HUGE and way larger than the actual data that is being stored in the file. I remember in the old dos days... you could save HUNDREDS of small text files on a 1.44MB floppy drive. Those days are over.
    02-06-09 08:03 AM
    Point of clarification... while there are, generally, 8 bits to the byte, you should know that every letter or number you type is a byte, not a bit. A bit, or binary digit, can be set either to 0 or to 1. Bytes, on the other hand, can attain any one of 256 values. Remember, one visible character you type, in general, occupies one byte, which is, generally, comprised of 8 bits.
    02-08-09 05:16 PM
    Just to be clear...in order to use BBM overseas, you need to have a data plan, but what type of plan? Verizon offers 3 types, will any of them suffice? or does this have to be the international $65 per month plan? I have the $30 per month plan right now on my Storm, but am not sure if the BBM will work. Any thoughts?
    02-14-09 11:02 PM
    Im trying to add contacts to my BB messenger but I doing something wrong.Under contacts I select -add a contact/ then contact from my address list, then-select send to messenger contact. It then says to select contact but my contacts says empty. WTF am I doing wrong?
    02-21-09 12:12 AM
    It depends on the plan you have ... Text messages have a cost in most cases, and a PIN uses the data network, and the pin messages are compressed so much hundreds of pin's would be = to a txt message

Thats the way I had it explained to me.
    The Best answer is that its faster and free and just for BB's . Also I can keep perfect track of my convo.
    02-21-09 02:21 PM
    Hiya I'm in UK but been using BB messenger with my friend from Thailand will that still be free?? I'm not so sure..

Many thanks
    05-31-09 09:33 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD