Did anyone else upgrade the blackberry messenger and and it delete it? I rebooted and the messenger was gone and when I got it back I lost all my contacts.
    02-15-10 06:11 AM
    Funny you should mention that as it happened to me yesterday. I used DM for a weekly backup of my 9700 then noticed the BBM icon was missing.....hmmm. I started poking around and found TWO versions of BBM on my phone (under add-ons), a 4.7 something and a 5.0 something.

So I killed the older version but still no icon for BBM.

Did a battery pull (only second one in a month) and my phone then informed me there was an update available for BBM, so I downloaded it (over the air) and "poof" I had my icon back, the version looked the same as i had been using before, but I was starting out fresh...all contacts and settings gone.

Keep in mind I got my 9700 a little less than a month ago and the first thing i did was update everything on it since it was a November build.

Strange
    02-15-10 07:14 AM
    You can avoid any further issues with loosing bbm contacts if you take advantage of the integrated contact backup now available in the newer versions. It just requires an email address that is conected to your device. Now when i get a new version or new phone, bam i have all my contacts back and they never see anything so no more offending anyone thinking they got deleted.
    02-15-10 09:00 AM
    If you have a made a backup of your data or if you have ever upgraded your device software, there will be a backup file in your Documents directory.

Use Advanced Restore to replace your contacts.
    02-15-10 09:36 AM
    Thanks Reed & Coolguy. Useful information, especially the "restore from email" function I will use from now on, after this selective restore from my PC.

Cheers
    02-15-10 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD