Hey guys, so I took the plunge and dropped my bb for a droid

i know, the only thing keeping me tied to the bb was BBM. What made the switch easy ..was...or so I thought, that I could still use my old blackberry's bbm as long as i connect to WIFI. However, im noticing now that even though the phone is connected to my wifi .. i cannot send or receive bbms, WHAT?!?

Do you need a special connection in order to enable bbm? Here are a few ways -- i'm willing to pay slightly extra just so I can come home to a bb sitting there and communicating via bbm

1) i switched from att --> verizon. Curve 8900 was my old att phone, it recognizes my network .. but I cannot surf the web or send/receive bbms

2) can i pick up a verizon blackberry and have it as a second line but then only use wifi to use bbm? (i don't want to spend anything for a second data plan!)

what do you guys think... whats a way to get bbm back in my life!!
    11-29-09 07:00 PM
    you need a BB data plan to use BBM. you will be able to surf the web on your blackberry if you switch the default browser to your hotspot one. but nothing else is really gonna work, especialy BBM. enjoy the Droid.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 11-29-09 at 07:56 PM.
    11-29-09 07:54 PM
    i believe this falls under the category of "cake" and "eat it too".. or should i say cupcake... sorry bud
    11-29-09 07:57 PM
    You have to have a data plan and a PIN to use BBM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 08:26 PM
    You have to have a data plan and a PIN to use BBM.

well hes got that (the PIN on his old 8900). but he no longer has at&t, which by default, includes the data plan. theres no way he will be able to use BBM anymore unless he reactivated him at&t account and BB data with a new plan.
    11-29-09 08:30 PM
    Like I said. He has to have both.

11-29-09 08:33 PM
    Pretty much, if you don't have a BB data plan, you are left to using other I'm apps (Google Talk, AIM...). Hopefully, your friends are on other chat apps along with BBM, otherwise, you are SOL. Probably easier to get them to add a different I'm app than it would be to get BBM working (or paying for a data plan just for BBM).

11-29-09 08:48 PM
    BBM is what keeps me from looking at other devices.
    I have way to many contact across the globe to pay for international txt messaging.
    Not that I would ever leave my berry but I don't even look at other devices.

11-30-09 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD