I am trying to upgrade to an 8gb card from a 4gb card on my 8900. I read somewhere that i have to format the new card first? I put the new card in the reader and into my computer and clicked on format but it says there is no card in the reader? Any ideas?
    Also, how do i get the old card out of the 8900. It looks different than my old 8310.
    Thanks
    07-23-09 11:24 AM
    one more thing...once i get the data transferred and insert my new card into my phone, do i have to do anything in setting to make the phone see the new card?
    07-23-09 11:41 AM
    nice guide, very helpful. I got an 8gig class4. Works perfectly.
    07-23-09 09:50 PM
    Guys, your device's guide should show you where to put the card. When you install it, go to media card in your options. Press the menu key, and select format card. Then your good to go.
    07-23-09 09:53 PM
    one more thing...once i get the data transferred and insert my new card into my phone, do i have to do anything in setting to make the phone see the new card?
    You don't have to make any changes, use it like your old ones..
    07-23-09 10:00 PM
    does anyone know how much does the stock memory card for bb8320 curve hold?
    09-01-09 11:29 AM
    does anyone know how much does the stock memory card for bb8320 curve hold?
    Unless there was some special carrier deal, I'm unaware the 8320 ever came with an SD card installed.

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 07:22 PM
    are there alot of in-between variations?
    09-09-09 12:08 AM
    are there alot of in-between variations?
    All of the different classes and sizes are listed in the first post.
    09-09-09 04:50 AM
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere in this thread before, but I'd like to point out that there are SDHC and microSDHC cards that perform faster than their class ratings indicate. For example, Class 6 SDHC and microSDHC cards have a minimum transfer rate of 6 MB/sec (also sometimes rated as 40x), but my 8GB Transcend microSDHC card has average transfer rates of 11 MB/sec when transferring files from my PC. This 11 MB/sec transfer speed occurs when transferring data to the card when it's inside my BB Curve 8900 over the USB cable, proving that BBs, at least the new ones, can take advantage of faster speeds and are not limited by their built-in readers. So if it speed matters to you, it's worth it to research the cards you can buy online before you decide to settle for the crappy and overpriced cards that are sold in retail stores.
    Bluemoonjules likes this.
    09-12-09 11:34 AM
    I oroduced a 8900 from verizon and require a LOT of expandable memory because I produce music and carry a lot of music with me, these files are typically betweem 25-90mb per track because of the quality of thew file.. Do I have to do anything or upgrade software to allow my phone to be 32g???

Sorry, I'm a newb.. Not a blackberry newb, just a newb on the forum.. Thanks for your help..
    /
    Also does anyone know where to obtain a 32 MICRO SD card???? I can not locate one anywhere..
    09-12-09 12:12 PM
    great post..i was looking for this info..i only have a 2gb card now and wanted to upgrade, now i know the max i can use...only thing now is to catch a 8gb on sale some where.
    09-12-09 12:45 PM
    thanks for the info, just upgraded today
    09-12-09 06:21 PM
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere in this thread before, but I'd like to point out that there are SDHC and microSDHC cards that perform faster than their class ratings indicate. For example, Class 6 SDHC and microSDHC cards have a minimum transfer rate of 6 MB/sec (also sometimes rated as 40x), but my 8GB Transcend microSDHC card has average transfer rates of 11 MB/sec when transferring files from my PC. This 11 MB/sec transfer speed occurs when transferring data to the card when it's inside my BB Curve 8900 over the USB cable, proving that BBs, at least the new ones, can take advantage of faster speeds and are not limited by their built-in readers. So if it speed matters to you, it's worth it to research the cards you can buy online before you decide to settle for the crappy and overpriced cards that are sold in retail stores.
    Your model #? Thanks

09-12-09 08:05 PM
    singletree, I'm using a BB Curve 8900 from AT&T with the Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model TS8GUSDHC6. Sorry, i can't link directly to it since I'm still under 10 posts on these forums.

lovedbygod1, I bought the above card a couple of weeks ago at newegg.com, for around $20, which is great since it includes an SD to microSD adapter, free shipping, and features blazing fast transfer rates. At the time of this posting, this card available for around the same price with free shipping. Don't expect your local RadioShacks, BestBuys, and Walmarts to even come close to making a similar offer. I find there prices to be 2-4 times of that listed on e-tailers and have never seen them carrying a Class 6 card.

JJ709, I wasn't aware the Verizon offered the 8900. I think the 8900 Curves are exclusive to T-Mobile and AT&T in the US. I believe all the currently available BBs have the requisite OS version to handle 32gb cards out of the box. However, only 16gb microSD cards are currently available in world, with the 32gb size not far off on the road map. For more info, ask a Taiwanese manufacturer near you.

FYI, shortly after messing around with my new BB and going onto sites like this one, I found an awesome program that meets all my audio/video encoding/decoding needs. It's called FormatFactory. Google it. Then download it for free. It provides a plethora of options, a simple UI, handles the important audio file formats like FLAC, OGG, WAV, MP3, AAC, etc., allows setting a custom bitrate and sampling rate for conversion, does the same for video formats, and has easy preset options for many mobile devices including BBs. JJ709, you should be able to compress your music without sacrificing too much quality if needed. Hopefully, this provides you an adequate solution till the 32gb cards arrive.
    09-13-09 08:14 AM
    singletree, I'm using a BB Curve 8900 from AT&T with the Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model TS8GUSDHC6. Sorry, i can't link directly to it since I'm still under 10 posts on these forums.

lovedbygod1, I bought the above card a couple of weeks ago at newegg.com, for around $20, which is great since it includes an SD to microSD adapter, free shipping, and features blazing fast transfer rates. At the time of this posting, this card available for around the same price with free shipping. Don't expect your local RadioShacks, BestBuys, and Walmarts to even come close to making a similar offer. I find there prices to be 2-4 times of that listed on e-tailers and have never seen them carrying a Class 6 card.

JJ709, I wasn't aware the Verizon offered the 8900. I think the 8900 Curves are exclusive to T-Mobile and AT&T in the US. I believe all the currently available BBs have the requisite OS version to handle 32gb cards out of the box. However, only 16gb microSD cards are currently available in world, with the 32gb size not far off on the road map. For more info, ask a Taiwanese manufacturer near you.

FYI, shortly after messing around with my new BB and going onto sites like this one, I found an awesome program that meets all my audio/video encoding/decoding needs. It's called FormatFactory. Google it. Then download it for free. It provides a plethora of options, a simple UI, handles the important audio file formats like FLAC, OGG, WAV, MP3, AAC, etc., allows setting a custom bitrate and sampling rate for conversion, does the same for video formats, and has easy preset options for many mobile devices including BBs. JJ709, you should be able to compress your music without sacrificing too much quality if needed. Hopefully, this provides you an adequate solution till the 32gb cards arrive.

Thanks a lot, i will be sure to check out that website, especially cuz i has free shipping!!

That program FormatFactory; does it convert video files as well?
    09-13-09 08:43 AM
    Thanks a lot, i will be sure to check out that website, especially cuz i has free shipping!!

That program FormatFactory; does it convert video files as well?
    Yes, it does audio and video. It's an excellent program that I use quite often.

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge

09-13-09 08:48 AM
    I need help.
    so I removed my memory card from my bold and put it into my 8900. while it was on the bold it was encrypted, but i un-encrypted the card before i installed it inside the 8900.for some reason the 8900 was freezing up on me with the memory card in, so i took it out and put back into the bold.

ok here is my problem
    now the memory card saids that its encrypted on a different device. and its saying this on both the 8900 and the bold.

is there anyway to fix this and restore my memory card with out having to format the card
    Last edited by babyit11; 09-16-09 at 09:24 PM.
    09-16-09 09:19 PM
    I need help.
    so I removed my memory card from my bold and put it into my 8900. while it was on the bold it was encrypted, but i un-encrypted the card before i installed it inside the 8900.for some reason the 8900 was freezing up on me with the memory card in, so i took it out and put back into the bold.

ok here is my problem
    now the memory card saids that its encrypted on a different device. and its saying this on both the 8900 and the bold.

is there anyway to fix this and restore my memory card with out having to format the card
    if the original phone is coming up encrypted as well, you may have to format it as there wouldnt be a way to unencrypt it from a new device or in this case the old device which to the memory card is now a "new" device.
    09-16-09 11:16 PM
    My computer has stopped recognizing my memory card in my curve. Says i can format it but then ill lose all my pictures and stuff. Any tips of why this would start happening all of a sudden?
    09-20-09 10:15 PM
    When I upgraded from a 2gb MicroSD to a 16gb, I had to leave the old card in my phone and transfer the contents to a folder on my computer before swapping cards. I then had to copy the data to the new card after I formatted it. For some reason, once the card has been inserted into my phone (Curve 8900), the card is no longer readable by my computer. When I insert it into the included adapter and then use any one of my three card readers, it will show up in My Computer as a removable drive. When I click on it, however, it tells me to insert a disk into said drive and will not let me access it unless I reformat it under Windows. Then, once it has been in my phone again, it cannot be read, as before. I do not have encryption enabled. Any ideas?

09-21-09 01:20 AM
    09-21-09 04:01 AM
    I have the Tour. My media card is not showing up. I can't format it because there isn't a media card option under advanced options or anywhere. I recently tried to upgrade to the new os, and everything on the media card now seems lost-- this despite the fact that I religiously back up using Desktop Manager. By the way, the update didn't succeed-- exept that I also lost all my apps. What to do?
    09-22-09 03:50 PM
    How does the SMS card fit in the phone?
    09-27-09 10:05 PM
    I have the Tour. My media card is not showing up. I can't format it because there isn't a media card option under advanced options or anywhere. I recently tried to upgrade to the new os, and everything on the media card now seems lost-- this despite the fact that I religiously back up using Desktop Manager. By the way, the update didn't succeed-- exept that I also lost all my apps. What to do?
    Media Card should be in Options, not Advanced, but you can format it with a card reader using your PC. If it's an SD, use fat, if it's SDHC, use fat32. Just go to My Computer once it's connected, right click on the removable hard drive, and click format. The media card is never backed up from DM, you have to do that yourself. If you lost your 3rd party apps while upgrading, you'll have to download them again. If they are paid for, you should be able to install them again without further charge. In the future, follow this guide when upgrading:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/upgr...step-z-188139/

How does the SMS card fit in the phone?
    Are you asking about the SD Media Card, or the SIM card? The SD on yours goes in a side port, the SIM goes under the battery.
    09-27-09 11:18 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD