I purchased my phone 8 months ago, and because of where i live, do not get data reception (1x). For some reason when i connect to wifi on my blackberry curve 8530, the browser will work but bbm and such will not. They used to work, but now the wifi symbol will not turn from grey to white. I have a data plan that supports this, and i have also tried battery pull! HELP!

PS im not very good with blackberrys, so keep it simple please!
    05-03-11 09:34 PM
    If the wifi symbol is grey and not white, it means wifi is on, but not connected...

Make sure you are connected to a specific wifi network...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 09:38 PM
    i am connected to my specific wifi network and the name comes up along the top.. but it only works for the browser. i have connected to many routers and none have worked..
    05-03-11 10:02 PM
    do you have a blackberry specific data plan on your account, as well as a BIS account?
    05-03-11 10:04 PM
    yes, i have a blackberry specific plan, and what is a BIS account and how do i get one?
    05-03-11 10:06 PM
    BIS = blackberry internet service... This is where you configure your email accounts, and you can also re-send your service books... you need to ensure your device's pin is associated with your BIS account. i think you might need updated service books for your device/data to work properly... what carrier are you with?
    05-03-11 10:12 PM
    I'm with koodo, and ill try doing that! i updated my prl but that is all.
    05-03-11 10:15 PM
    im wondering if it is a network issue, because i got a loaner phone and same problem..
    05-03-11 10:16 PM
    im wondering if it is a network issue, because i got a loaner phone and same problem..
    That is always a possibility... If you call them, they would be able to tell you...

Since they're probablly closed now, in the meantime you can try this:

goto: BlackBerry Internet Service

try logging into your account (if you have login info)
    if you can't get in, you can try the 'forgot password' link. this shouls send your login info as a PIN message to your device

if it can't find an account for you, is is possible you don't have one.

you can try creating a new account from the link as well.

if after all that you cannot get into / an account, you will have to call kodoo to set it up for you.

once you are in your account, make sure that your blackberry's PIN is associated with your account.

once that is done, in either the help or advanced settings, look for a link to re-send your service books.

once you recieve a message on your device that it has been activated, pull the batter for a minute or so, and then put it back in..

let us know how it goes...
    05-03-11 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD