I bricked my bold using the suggestion of digitalboy about the escreen . I was about to hold him responsible, but then read in his post that I can't! Lucky you put that in there or I would have held you responsible. If you ever forget to put that in a post, what would holding you responsible get me btw?
    LOL! It's not really that I'm worried someone's going to sue me or something, it's just that I know how desperate some users might get if things aren't going well (I remember my first bricked Pearl and the panic that came with it). I include disclaimers with certain procedures because I don't want a user to try something they think I'm recommending without understanding that it's a potentially risky procedure and they should read up first or be ready to face the consequences. That's why there's a big, sticky disclaimer at the top of the beta forum too. We all like to help each other out, but nobody wants to be considered the source of bad info if a user doesn't do his/her homework and breaks something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 08:57 AM
    Hey, when did my rank change to CrackBerry Genius??? I didn't even celebrate! I somehow unceremoniously past 1,500 posts without even noticing! And nobody brought cake!

</threadjack>
    Congrats, doc. Hahaha, enjoy your status.

About the cake, sorry dude. But never mind, next rank will be celebrated with a huge party ;-)
    12-15-09 09:18 AM
    Someone posted a COD for Chinese display and input from older version. I had followed the instruction and installed the Chinese Display and Simplified Input. However, during SMS/Email screen, Alt-Enter won't work. On Setting->Language and text input, there is option to change the device language to Chinese but there is no option to change language input, only english.

How to make Chinese input works?
    12-15-09 09:22 AM
    Hey is anyone else unable to change the tcp settings to voicestream for tmobile?
    it was Unsupported Browser right?
    12-15-09 11:03 AM
    I finally did not manage to restore apps to OS5 so i installed them manually.. However, i'm lookign for a way to remove the my phone details that appears on the right side of the screen when making a phone call.

Also, how do you guys delete installed themes? The delete button is not activated

Finally, doesn't OS5 have a default theme with any new icons or colours? My phone is stil lthe same and have to use my previously installed theme.. Thought there would be an update there..
    12-15-09 11:04 AM
    I had to go back to 4.6. Sometimes my texts would come in without the persons name and it became a headache.
    12-15-09 11:10 AM
    anyone else on tmobile having a problem with changing tcp settings?
    12-15-09 11:14 AM
    I finally did not manage to restore apps to OS5 so i installed them manually.. However, i'm lookign for a way to remove the my phone details that appears on the right side of the screen when making a phone call.

Also, how do you guys delete installed themes? The delete button is not activated

Finally, doesn't OS5 have a default theme with any new icons or colours? My phone is stil lthe same and have to use my previously installed theme.. Thought there would be an update there..
    Also now noticing that when i leave my phone some secs and screen goes off, when i try to restore it it pauses in black for a couple of second and then need to press second time a button in order to switch on the screen.

And when there is a missed call and click on 'view' it takes you to the missed call folder instead of the call log where it took you in 4.6 and was much more convenient..
    12-15-09 11:17 AM
    Congrats, doc. Hahaha, enjoy your status.

About the cake, sorry dude. But never mind, next rank will be celebrated with a huge party ;-)
    Thanks! Rain checks are cool by me!

12-15-09 11:52 AM
    There is a big problem with the SMS & BBM link.
    12-15-09 12:22 PM
    Good, glad it's working!
    thank you so much dude my issue (sms ) has been solved because of you
    i really appreciate it
    12-15-09 02:26 PM
    My bold syncs with outlook except for calendar.
    None of my appointments move from phone to outlook., otherwise everything else is fine.
    And yes it is checked to sync with outlook cal.
    12-15-09 02:51 PM
    Has anyone successfully taken all the SMS cods from 314, put them into 411 and fixed the SMS bugs? The bugs I'm talking about are texts going into the wrong thread, the text entry being focused on the newest received text when opening a thread with unread texts, and the pop up at the bottom displaying phone numbers instead of contacts' names.

Obviously if this theory has worked the text wrapping bug will be back, but I think 1 bug is better than 3.

Yes I too am inflicted with the SMS bug where on occasion all SMS's go into the SAME thread, won't delete at times, etc.

I have wiped and started over a few times with no data backup restore and still have this issue. Not sure if its related to having BBM or not.

Which SMS COD's from 314 should I use?
    12-15-09 02:52 PM
    Had two reboots today about 15 minutes apart. Wasnt doing anything with the phone.

It hasnt happened again
    12-15-09 03:32 PM
    Which SMS COD's from 314 should I use?
    It's mentioned earlier in the thread. net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod is the one you want to replace. There's a zip file containing that cod quite a few pages ago, if you don't want to reinstall .314 on your computer just to get a single cod file.

12-15-09 04:02 PM
    Does anyone know how to get "Tasks" back? Its been missing since my install
    12-15-09 04:34 PM
    Have you checked inside the Applications folder?? That is the default location of tasks! Another option is to make sure you are not "hiding" any icons.

The last option... you did not install them in your last upgrade..

And obviously, try a battery pull!

Hope one of these helps!!
    12-15-09 04:55 PM
    You could also make sure that dialing from the homescreen is disabled and press the T key to check for it. If that brings up your tasks, the icon is probably just moved or hidden. Otherwise I second the battery pull suggestion or a reinstall. It's definitely still present and working in this OS build.

12-15-09 05:24 PM
    Been running now for 9 days. Not one reboot, battery life is great and all applications work great. No problems at all with SMS like others have stated.
    12-15-09 06:18 PM
    Many have quoted the fast and stable characteristic of this OS version, but a lousy battery life. How bad it is?

For me it is really bad and short battery life. It goes from a 100% full charge to 50% in 2-3 hours without heavy use. So I may have to recharge the phone 3 times a day.
    12-15-09 07:10 PM
    I noted on the install in App Loader that Tasks (and a couple of other core apps) was something along the lines of a standalone option that one had to affirmatively select. If I knew what the .cod files were, I'd advise you to go into BBSAK and see if they're on your phone, but I'm betting they're not. I would do a clean wipe and reinstall, making sure that Tasks is selected.

ongl, re: the battery life problem -- when I first installed .411 after a clean wipe (coming from a 4.6 OS), battery life sucked. I backed up and reinstalled again and it improved markedly. The only thing I can think of is that the backup I did for the original install was from 4.6, while the second was from 5.0. It's just a theory, but its worth a shot. Gave me about 5 MB more memory, too.

12-15-09 08:51 PM
    I noted on the install in App Loader that Tasks (and a couple of other core apps) was something along the lines of a standalone option that one had to affirmatively select. If I knew what the .cod files were, I'd advise you to go into BBSAK and see if they're on your phone, but I'm betting they're not. I would do a clean wipe and reinstall, making sure that Tasks is selected.

ongl, re: the battery life problem -- when I first installed .411 after a clean wipe (coming from a 4.6 OS), battery life sucked. I backed up and reinstalled again and it improved markedly. The only thing I can think of is that the backup I did for the original install was from 4.6, while the second was from 5.0. It's just a theory, but its worth a shot. Gave me about 5 MB more memory, too.

Is there anyway to just install the .cod files with BBSAK rather than doing a whole other wipe/reinstall?

I'm trying to use Role Call Lite (my friend has it on his BB and it looks great) and it requires the default tasks app
    12-15-09 09:58 PM
    I have a question before I take the plunge to upgrade from my existing .282 which has been excellent so far. Also this thread has had 50+ postings so I guess this must be the OS I should go and upgrade. However, I want to know whether I can straight away upgrade or do I need to do a clean wipe and then install.

2. Though I have both .282 and .411 device OS installed, on clicking loader.app for upgrading I donot see the new OS. The loader only shows the .282 OS and so I cannot proceed further.

Any clues or steps that I have missed. I have earlier had no problem upgrading but this is first time I am facing a situation like this.
    12-15-09 11:23 PM
    I have a question before I take the plunge to upgrade from my existing .282 which has been excellent so far. Also this thread has had 50+ postings so I guess this must be the OS I should go and upgrade. However, I want to know whether I can straight away upgrade or do I need to do a clean wipe and then install.

2. Though I have both .282 and .411 device OS installed, on clicking loader.app for upgrading I donot see the new OS. The loader only shows the .282 OS and so I cannot proceed further.

Any clues or steps that I have missed. I have earlier had no problem upgrading but this is first time I am facing a situation like this.
    It basically comes down to personal preference; some wipe their device prior to loading a new OS while others don't. In regards to .411 not being detected, have you ensured that the vendor.xml file has been deleted from your PC?
    12-15-09 11:28 PM
    It basically comes down to personal preference; some wipe their device prior to loading a new OS while others don't. In regards to .411 not being detected, have you ensured that the vendor.xml file has been deleted from your PC?
    Yes....try as he says...maybe your vendor.xml file hasnt been deleted yet.....
    Program files/common files/research in motion/apploader and check if vendor file is there...if so delete and try loader.exe again.

lemme know what happens.
    12-15-09 11:44 PM
1,293 ... 3435363738 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD