hi guys,,2 issues i m having with this build:
    1-i wasnt affected by the sms bug on previous versions cos my numbers are already stored in +xxxxx way,,but since i updated to 415,funny enough,all the messages come under the name of the 1st person i receive from even if it s from someone else.
    2- caller id is not showing everytime,sometimes it shows,sometimes i just get the number not the name.

any ideas or suggestions?
    thx
    Last edited by appache; 12-10-09 at 04:45 PM.
    12-10-09 04:29 PM
    Downgrade to .405.
    12-10-09 05:12 PM
    OK, but even still...previous usage means what? Yesterday he sent exactly 100 text messages and 10 emails. And today he sent the same exact amount? Even if that were the case...did he send them from the exact same location with the same exact signal strength? If he was even 10 feet farther away from a cell tower today than he was yesterday it will have an impact on battery life. Only a strict lab test within a controlled environment would determine battery discharge. But in real world testing, apps such as MeterBerry can [help] determine some discharge rates. I operate my company from the same location every day and my usage has been confined to the same area so I can [for myself anyway] determine that 1.6 to 2.0 avg. discharge is great for me. My signal has been the same, as well as factors such as devices and appliances that cause interference with UMA calling and EDGE such as structure density and building materials that the 1700MHz T-Mo frequency has to penetrate, as well as the apps I have running.
    You are being a wee bit militant aren't you? If someone notices a difference in battery life be it better or otherwise. Whether superficial or not they are only making their opinion known. In real world testing it is always down to individual user impressions of a device, a program that runs in the background and monitors facts and figures only gives you that. It doesn't give you a person's opinion, to be fair I think most value that over looking at some scientifically formulated response.

Two people can compare, its not an exact science and nor should it be, as you say yourself two people will never have the same setup but for comparative analysis however much scientifically inaccurate it helps the likes of us who want a general consensus from those who actually don't go about monitoring useage with military precision.

I just don't fathom why the **** you are being so anal about someones opinion, what gives you the right overrule someone like that?

**Back on topic**

Had this running 24 hrs now and whilst battery life was very good previously it seems a wee bit better, had wi-fi running as always and REMAINED in the same location and it seems be lasting a lot longer. I have noticed a bug with the media folder in viewing picturers, which I think has already been mentioned in that the pics don't autofocus so look somewhat pixelated unless you press #1.

Wi-Fi however doesn't take a while to connect up, on average I am looking at 5 mins, as aversed to my 8900 which connects within seconds. Still device is nippy all round, very stable I can only surmise once this operating system bakes some more it will turn out to be a superb release.
    12-10-09 05:13 PM
    Not militant, but it is nice (needed?) to have empirical data to back up claims of perceived use and usage patterns. No?
    12-10-09 06:12 PM
    Updating for those interested, been running it since it leaked, so far unbelievably good battery life, a little faster boot up, and all around everythings running tremendously well. I'll be sticking to this build unless the next ones crazy good
    12-10-09 06:24 PM
    ive got my boot time down to 5minutes, removing some apps and games and stuff, still cant figure out why it takes so long though, and my battery life according to MeterBerry is draining at around 3.5-4% per hour, which seems pretty good as its on and off connected to WiFi all the time as the signal strength where i am cuts in and out

overall im very happy with this build
    12-10-09 09:03 PM
    I also have the problem that I still have the BBM .33 after the update. I cannot uncheck the first BBM in the Applist. I only can check and uncheck the second BBM in the Applist - and this one is the old BBM .33.

I did another wipe and another os-load via apploader - but I still got the .33-version of BBM.

Anyone know a solution for this?
    OTA will do the trick.
    12-10-09 09:08 PM
    I wish RIM would get their wi-fi up to par with the iPhone. .415 connects pretty fast about 3-5 min. iPhone about 4 seconds. Blackberry wifi has never been as good as PC, Mac, iPhone wifi but for the most part you don't realy need it.
    12-10-09 09:16 PM
    Been using this method. However, it just applies to be able to read the east asian language, and no option to write, any advises?

If you just want font support (not Input), what u need:
    1.Install an OS with EastAsian support, search the Java folder for files beginning with "net_rim_font". What u need for chinese and japanese are the global type and japanese one. Or if you're not sure, just copy all the files that begin with net_rim_font.

2. Copy the CJK.alx file also.

3. Paste the files into their respective folder in the OS folder u want to install.

It's pretty straightforward. Enjoy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 09:25 PM
    I wish RIM would get their wi-fi up to par with the iPhone. .415 connects pretty fast about 3-5 min. iPhone about 4 seconds. Blackberry wifi has never been as good as PC, Mac, iPhone wifi but for the most part you don't realy need it.
    What, exactly, are you talking about?
    12-10-09 09:37 PM
    Not militant, but it is nice (needed?) to have empirical data to back up claims of perceived use and usage patterns. No?
    Its nice yes, but to effectively insinuate it holds more weight than a person who doesn't give such information is somewhat arrogant. Comes down to the simple reality that the majority aren't empirical data savy, we go off what we see and feel from the device whether accurate or not.

My point being is an individuals POV holds just as much sway as a one that is backed up by apps such as MeterBerry. Its foolish to suggest otherwise.
    12-10-09 10:04 PM
    Does nimbuzz work with this release...i have .415 and it won't connect to nimbuzz? It says check my network settings..i have full 3g and if i put it on wifi same thing...any answers for this issue? Thanks in advance..
    12-10-09 10:20 PM
    3-5mins to connect? wtf? are you serious, there is definitely something wrong there. Mine takes 5-10 seconds to connect and wi-fi has been awesome for me. It is fast and stable. Who expects their wi-fi to be as fast as their pc? I have my laptop for that, and my wi-fi is fast enough to load desktop websites in seconds... I am running .405 btw.
    12-10-09 10:30 PM
    Its nice yes, but to effectively insinuate it holds more weight than a person who doesn't give such information is somewhat arrogant. Comes down to the simple reality that the majority aren't empirical data savy, we go off what we see and feel from the device whether accurate or not.

My point being is an individuals POV holds just as much sway as a one that is backed up by apps such as MeterBerry. Its foolish to suggest otherwise.
    I do happen to think that empirical data will add weight to ones observations, much better reference point. Perhaps I'm foolish.

On topic: on friends phones having played with .296, .351, .371, 405 and now finally .415 on friends and my own this OS definitely feels much snappier than previous ones. What a difference between a shrunk, clean OS load (2m to 2m:30s) to one I load with crap (6m)!

As for the person having those long connection times on WiFi that's insane taking that long; even my UMA connections in a Starbucks, at home or work where much quicker than 4-5minutes perhaps you should troubleshoot that or get new hardware.
    12-10-09 11:17 PM
    Been using this method. However, it just applies to be able to read the east asian language, and no option to write, any advises?
    You could try what was suggested earlier. I haven't tried this though.

1. Install the OS you want and an OS with EastAsian support in your PC.
    2. Copy the whole EastAsian OS folder to the target OS folder, when asked to overwrite select "NO to All".

This way you can have the files you're missing in a non-EA OS while retaining the files from your desired OS.
    12-10-09 11:50 PM
    All these beta (and the new official releases) are flawed. You can check out my post here --> http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/wh...ld-use-383435/

... on why you should only be using v5.0.0.321
    12-11-09 09:17 AM
    All these beta (and the new official releases) are flawed. You can check out my post here --> http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/wh...ld-use-383435/

... on why you should only be using v5.0.0.321
    Absolute rubbish!.. as has been pointed out in your thread
    12-11-09 09:59 AM
    Back to .405 for me, I'm on too many conference calls a day as well as emails and this one seems like it's worse on the battery then .415 is for ME. Others have better life but mine is worse. Just my .002
    12-11-09 11:07 AM
    I am saying that wifi on Blackberrys is very slow to connect. When I get home it takes several minutes before I get a solid wifi connection on my Blackberry vs. a couple of seconds for any other wifi device. Been this way on every BB I have used with wifi.

What, exactly, are you talking about?
    12-11-09 11:26 AM
    I am saying that wifi on Blackberrys is very slow to connect. When I get home it takes several minutes before I get a solid wifi connection on my Blackberry vs. a couple of seconds for any other wifi device. Been this way on every BB I have used with wifi.
    You're obviously doing something wrong then

All my BB's have connected within seconds to my home router.
    12-11-09 11:30 AM
    my BB connects to my house wifi when i park my car, not even in my house yet, same at starbucks place, before i walk in its connected, i double checked this several times
    12-11-09 11:46 AM
    It connects right away but it takes a few minutes for the wifi symbol to go from grey to white indicating a connection. Same prob at work. It has been this way with ever wifi BB i Have owned.
    12-11-09 12:02 PM
    I only experience this every once in a while. Sometimes my BlackBerry's WiFi doesn't connect right away. Usually, turning the radio on and off speeds things up. Otherwise, it'll join the WiFi network eventually.

I think it's likely a battery saving feature. If you leave your WiFi radio on all the time, it is not constantly scanning for available networks. I don't leave my WiFi on all the time and it connects right away when I need it. I think what you're seeing is "by design."

To be honest, the same thing often happens with my Windows laptops... regardless of version. Sometimes my XP, Vista, and 7 machines take a few minutes to connect to WiFi networks upon booting. Of course, refreshing the list of available networks speeds things up!
    12-11-09 12:09 PM
    I am amazed at how fast the GPS connects with this build. I can open up any GPS app even inside and it connects to the satellites in about 2-3 second. Faster then a nice handheld Garmin receiver. Much faster then prev builds.
    12-11-09 12:10 PM
    Going back to AT&T stock .296. This one is murdering my battery
    12-11-09 12:42 PM
494 ... 17181920
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD