I am dropping calls BAD on this build with 3G. I was not with 405.

I am going to limit my phone to 2g and see if I get drops or not.
    12-09-09 09:40 AM
    Hey guys. I have a question. It seems that Desktop Manager is not recognizing this new OS. It installs fine on the pc, I deleted the vendor.xml file.

I have updated lots of times before and never had this problem. It states im on the latest and dont need to upgrade. I dont have any other OS installed either. Weird
    12-09-09 09:42 AM
    Hey guys. I have a question. It seems that Desktop Manager is not recognizing this new OS. It installs fine on the pc, I deleted the vendor.xml file.

I have updated lots of times before and never had this problem. It states im on the latest and dont need to upgrade. I dont have any other OS installed either. Weird
    What I do to upgrade is after installing the os on my computer I go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader\ and install it to my BB using the Loader.exe file and not DM. Never had a problem.
    12-09-09 09:45 AM
    i think i may have to get that, i was waiting to see if berryweather would come down in price but im using Weatherbug now and it does everything i want and doesnt use as much memory as berryweather. Any other system apps that i should look at or does MeterBerry seem to cover everything?
    Am using Meterberry and I can assure you this is a great app. It tells you everything you need, and can also simulate scheduled batterypulls etc.
    12-09-09 09:48 AM
    A general question but when I delete apps from my beloved BB is there a possibility that they leave residual files that can potentially have an impact on performance of the phone?

Like on a PC when uninstalling apps there are always some leftovers in C:\Program Files\
    Yes. Removed app do leave a little something behind. That why after a few months of installs/uninstalls I backup the do a wipe / restore on average I gain about 15MB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 09:59 AM
    I just trakced my reset time after removing a theme which of cource prompts for a reset...

According to the clock on my oven it was ~4 minutes from the time I said ok to the time I was able to enter my unlock code.

That is pretty fast. I think it is just the base apps loading up as the scrollbar is up the middle. After that I can see network arrows meaning it is checking for emails, downloading weather updates and probably logging or checking VVM etc... It will take an analyzer to be sure of exactly what is happening at that point but since we are only talking about 4 minutes EtoE, not likely on my part.

Reboots are not draining the battery like before. Before it was on average 5% per reboot. Now after a full charge this morning I have rebooted it three times, made a few short calls, sent a few SMS and several emails. My battery according to QL - Device Info is at 94% after just joining a conference call using BT. BTW I leave BT on 24X7.
    Last edited by shansmi; 12-09-09 at 10:19 AM.
    12-09-09 10:13 AM
    Yes. Removed app do leave a little something behind. That why after a few months of installs/uninstalls I backup the do a wipe / restore on average I gain about 15MB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I second that! I do the same on my PCs and Phones... Once I get a documented set of apps I plan on running, I sync everything, back them up and then format and rebuild everything from scratch for best performance - gets rid of all the crapola left behind.
    12-09-09 10:16 AM
    I just trakced my reset time after removing a theme which of cource prompts for a reset...

According to the clock on my oven it was ~4 minutes from the time I said ok to the time I was able to enter my unlock code.

That is pretty fast. I think it is just the base apps loading up as the scrollbar is up the middle. After that I can see network arrows meaning it is checking for emails, downloading weather updates and probably logging or checking VVM etc... It will take an analyzer to be sure of exactly what is happening at that point but since we are only talking about 4 minutes EtoE, not likely on my part.

Reboots are not draining the battery like before. Before it was on average 5% per reboot. Now after a full charge this morning I have rebooted it three times, made a few short calls, sent a few SMS and several emails. My battery according to QL - Device Info is at 94% after just joining a conference call using BT. BTW I leave BT on 24X7.

i dont think i have any problem with battery drain on reboots and 4minutes from OK to Password is very very acceptable i would gladly take that, i am more like 8-9minutes from OK to Password
    12-09-09 10:24 AM
    mine boots in 2mins
    12-09-09 10:29 AM
    'grabiarz' wrote: Can you list what apps you have installed. I'm getting an average discharge of 5.3% per hour.

OK, here it goes :as 'third-party': ActionPad, AutoStandby, BBMem, BerryBuzz, BerryPopup, BerryWeather, Bolt, CaptureIt, Cerberus, IBerryTheme, GoogleVoice, I charge Cool, leaveitOn, Logmaid, MagicIcon, MaxMem, MeterBerry, MobileCheckbook, MyAccount, Poynt, QuickLaunch, SendX, Snaptu, SpotBerry, TripometerVE, Upvise, WeatherBug Elite and WhitePages Mobile........as 'add-on' : BB AppWorld, BBApps, BBMaps, BBM5, eBay, Facebook, MemoPad, Tasks and YahooMsgr.....of course the 'core' OS 5.0.0.415 and still hover around 117mb (45%) free memory and everything is running very fast and smooth.....right now I'm getting a 0.7% average discharge rate per hour, I imagine that the key word here would be 'average' !!! LOL
    12-09-09 10:29 AM
    8 minutes? Where does it hang and are you seening network activity at that point? I guess I am asking is it where all the apps are loading up or is it where they are getting all their updates?
    12-09-09 10:30 AM
    mine boots in 2mins
    From a battery pull or hard reset? I would like to see a YouTube of that.
    12-09-09 10:31 AM
    A few interesting points about 415 on my BB. My BB is connected to two different Blackberry Enterprise Servers. I sync mail, calendar, contacts and notes with both Blackberry Enterprise Servers. I use a today plus theme.

Previously, as people well know, a today theme would only show the entries for your default calendar on your home screen. Running 415, my today theme shows the entries from my multiple calendars on the home screen. In other words, calendar entries from BOTH of my BES calendars show on my home screen. OS .405, which I was previously running, did not. OS .351, which I ran before .405, also showed entries from multiple calendar on my home screen. OS 4.6 and 4.7, which I previously ran on my Bold 9000 did not.

Second, when upgrading OS's, since running OS 5.0, when the Blackberry restores data and apps - it now restores the service books for both of my Blackberry Enterprises Servers. (The BB does a enterprise activation after the BB is restored just like normal. However, email and calendar for my BESs function immediately after the restore is done because the service books are on my BB. BB restores never did this before. Previously, an OS upgrade would not put the service books back on the BB. You always had to do an enterprise activation in order to get the service books.

Both of these new "features" are very welcome and make the BB even better.
    12-09-09 10:33 AM
    I am dropping calls BAD on this build with 3G. I was not with 405.

I am going to limit my phone to 2g and see if I get drops or not.
    Where are you and I am pretty sure going to EDGE will put you on an entirely different network i.e. TMO is not using the same equipment for 2G as they do for 3G.. Different SGSNs and different MSC cores. The RAN is obviously different.
    12-09-09 10:33 AM
    I have a feeling you will see this one become an official release. RIM had this one digitally signed by Microsoft. Most of the BETA OS are not digitally signed.
    12-09-09 10:46 AM
    for those getting under 1% avg battery use must not be using the phone that much or account the phone being idle for 8 hours while sleeping because there is no way making some calls, sms or bbming or surfing pretty consistently that it will only drain 1% every hour.
    12-09-09 10:57 AM
    This OS is great for T-mobile. My 3G used to work here and there in my house. Now, the BB boots up and connects to 3G instantly.
    12-09-09 11:04 AM
    I just updated my 9700 last night. I am running on T-mobile. I do see that my faves is back now which i really don't care for but i have been getting a network notification message like every hour now saying i have a invalid picture for one of my contacts. please use a gif or jpeg.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE
    12-09-09 11:10 AM
    Any ideas how to get East Asian language on this build?
    12-09-09 11:16 AM

If they are not there in the app list when installing the OS you will have to pull the COD files from another 5.0 load then load them manually with BBSAK or some tool of similar nature i.e. Crakutil. There is a procedure for other things like TMOs Fav 5 that I have seen so I am pretty sure that will work.
    12-09-09 11:27 AM
    flawless OS so far for me.

All main apps work: Beta mini opera 2, facebook,meterberry,quicklaunch,bbm, etc

only theme that doesn't work is the Priority Media theme, I loved this theme but when composing a SMS/email/ the place where you put the name has a black bar covering all the "to:". all other theme works only this one has this black problem
    12-09-09 11:30 AM
    not so flawless for me can anyone confirm on uma send a text message and see if you get a protocol something error?
    12-09-09 11:35 AM
    Can someone confirm this bug:

When i click compose sms and write a contacts number.. it opens the contact i have a message from, and wont let me message a new contact?
    12-09-09 11:38 AM
    If they are not there in the app list when installing the OS you will have to pull the COD files from another 5.0 load then load them manually with BBSAK or some tool of similar nature i.e. Crakutil. There is a procedure for other things like TMOs Fav 5 that I have seen so I am pretty sure that will work.
    Currently my 5.0.0.296 has East Asian pack. If I upgrade to this build, will the East Asian from 5.0.0.296 still remain or it will completely wipe it out?
    12-09-09 11:47 AM
    Using a previous East Asian BB 5.0 release for the 9700, I do a select all of the apploader and java directories and then copy it to the 415 apploader and java directories for the newer OS (in this case, 415.) Then when prompted, choose skip or do not copy and replace the files that have the same file name. When you are done, your 415 installation directory will have all the Asian language installation files as if it were an East Asian language release.

I use this method every time I upgrade an OS and the newer OS does not have the Asian language files.
    12-09-09 11:52 AM
494 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD