Will the blackberry tour get blackberry 6?
    07-30-10 07:11 PM
    Not likely.

Try the Bold 9650.
    07-30-10 07:23 PM
    That, my friend, is the million-dollar question.
    07-30-10 07:47 PM
    Yes it will. Straight from a RIM officer.
    07-30-10 08:23 PM
    Sure it will, no worries mate!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 08:41 PM
    No it's not. All the devices that came out about a year ago are obsolete - 9630, 9700, etc. If you want OS6 you need to buy-up to the 9650, 9780, etc.
    07-30-10 08:42 PM
    No it's not. All the devices that came out about a year ago are obsolete - 9630, 9700, etc. If you want OS6 you need to buy-up to the 9650, 9780, etc.
    Not to mention if they ever released OS6 for the Tour, there would be very little memory left to install apps, let alone enough for the phone to run smoothly. My vote would be no at this point... time to upgrade folks.
    07-30-10 10:40 PM
    The downside to upgrading now, depending where you're at in your contract is that when an actual new/worth while device (I.e. not a rehashed tour with a little more memory and same camera, processor, screen, blah blah) comes out in the first quarter of 2011, you will have already burned your upgrade on the Bold, and can't then use it to get your hands on an actual better device than a warmed over re-released Tour.

07-30-10 11:44 PM
    Probably not, Try out the Bold 9650.
    07-31-10 12:13 AM
    The downside to upgrading now, depending where you're at in your contract is that when an actual new/worth while device (I.e. not a rehashed tour with a little more memory and same camera, processor, screen, blah blah) comes out in the first quarter of 2011, you will have already burned your upgrade on the Bold, and can't then use it to get your hands on an actual better device than a warmed over re-released Tour.

I know that really blows... but my yearly upgrade isn't due until this Oct so maybe something new will come down the pipes by then. I was pretty impressed with the Bold in the Sprint store, but my Tour has been a flawless unit since last Oct and since I started running hybrids 4 months ago, it is pretty sweet!! I am almost ( I hate to admit it) thinking about trying an EVO,, it will be a tough call,,, but the Tour will be ready to go back in service if I need it..lol.
    07-31-10 12:42 AM
    I know that really blows... but my yearly upgrade isn't due until this Oct so maybe something new will come down the pipes by then. I was pretty impressed with the Bold in the Sprint store, but my Tour has been a flawless unit since last Oct and since I started running hybrids 4 months ago, it is pretty sweet!! I am almost ( I hate to admit it) thinking about trying an EVO,, it will be a tough call,,, but the Tour will be ready to go back in service if I need it..lol.
    I agree, that the Tour and Bold are good devices. It just seems that in the year-ish between the devices, they could have came up with something better than slapping on a trackpad, more memory and wifi. It was old technology already when they threw it together...

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I'm absolutely going to want to upgrade in September so I can have OS 6/webkit/etc, but I also want one of the next generation devices rumored for Q1 -2011.

It would be awesome if they released something new before the holidays, but I highly doubt it. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist though.

07-31-10 01:26 AM
    I agree, that the Tour and Bold are good devices. It just seems that in the year-ish between the devices, they could have came up with something better than slapping on a trackpad, more memory and wifi. It was old technology already when they threw it together...

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I'm absolutely going to want to upgrade in September so I can have OS 6/webkit/etc, but I also want one of the next generation devices rumored for Q1 -2011.

It would be awesome if they released something new before the holidays, but I highly doubt it. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist though.

+1
    My upgrade is also in September, and all I have to choose from is the same phone but with two additions I don't really need (WiFi + trackpad). That's why I'm going to Android.
    07-31-10 01:03 PM

Yeah, that's what stinks. I think I'll hold out and see what Q1 brings for phones, and hybrid up my Tour until then I'm hoping Verizon sees a slider in the future, as the 9800 looks pretty sweet!

07-31-10 08:39 PM
    I have the Evo now and was gonna upgrade my tour to 6 is possible, guess not eh whatevs
    08-03-10 11:11 AM
    I think the rumor is that nothing that has less than 512MB will get BB6. Maybe the 9700 will get it, but most likely just the 9650 will be the only pre-BB6 phone to get it.

Thankfully, my contract doesn't end until next spring so I'm hoping I'll have a choice between a 9650 and a Storm 3, both running BB6.
    08-03-10 11:22 AM
    I think the rumor is that nothing that has less than 512MB will get BB6. Maybe the 9700 will get it, but most likely just the 9650 will be the only pre-BB6 phone to get it.

Thankfully, my contract doesn't end until next spring so I'm hoping I'll have a choice between a 9650 and a Storm 3, both running BB6.
    It was announced today the bb 9650,9700, and pearl 3g are getting os 6.0 :-(
    RIM launches BlackBerry 6 platform -- Engadget

im pretty mad my tour just came out a year ago and wont be upgraded, i guess im going to get rid of my tour as my secondary device.
    08-03-10 11:25 AM
    Is the 9700 technically superior to the 9630? Was it released before or after?

I'm pretty upset that we won't be getting OS6. I bought my Tour in December only after reading about the great new web browser that would be coming out in a few short months. I certainly didn't expect the device to be EOLed after less than a year and passed over for software updates that comparable 256 MB devices receive.

If there are no reasonably priced upgrade to 9650 paths to follow through Verizon then this will likely be the last BlackBerry I purchase. I like the platform, but I'm pretty disappointed with the way Tour owners have been treated.

Last edited by Sports1131; 08-03-10 at 01:16 PM.
    08-03-10 11:59 AM
    This thread is hilarious.
    08-03-10 01:07 PM
    Will believe OS6 for the 9700 when I see it, but some say it might get OS6 Lite since it only has 256mb memory and others say that the 9630 will get OS6 Lite since it only has 256mb memory and trackball instead of trackpad and others still say that the 9650 will get OS6 Lite b/c it is trackpad and not touchscreen phone even though it has 512mb memory and OpenGL ES support which the others do not.
    08-03-10 01:37 PM
    WHATEVER
    This thread is hilarious.
    08-03-10 02:38 PM
    I'm also bummed out that the Tour won't be getting OS6.....hopefully a java swap with the 9650's OS6 files could be possible or at least some sort of hybrid.
    08-03-10 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD