Update: 2022-Jan-05 1425 EST

Here is the connection status of different applications. Bell Canada network with default service books, BB Curve 9320:

Phone calls - ok
    SMS - ok
    BB Email - out
    BB Browser - out
    Opera Mini -out
    BB Maps - ok
    Google Maps - ok
    CB Forums - ok
    The Weather Network - ok
    -----
    Logic Mail - not tested

Opera Mini is a surprise, I expected it to work ok after the shutdown.
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-05-22 at 03:22 PM.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    01-05-22 01:40 PM
    What device is that for?
    01-05-22 02:12 PM
    What device is that for?
    BBOS.

Based mainly on the fact that browsers aren't working.
    01-05-22 02:12 PM
    BBOS.
    I figured that based on where the thread was, but then saw the OperaMini note, which I thought (based on other thread) was about BB10.

Edit: Also, this I think is the poster who just moved to a Classic
    01-05-22 02:13 PM
    Update: 2022-Jan-05 1425

Here is the connection status of different applications. Bell Canada network with default service books:

Phone calls - ok
    SMS - ok
    BB Email - out
    BB Browser - out
    Opera Mini -out
    BB Maps - ok
    Google Maps - ok
    CB Forums - ok
    The Weather Network - ok
    -----
    Logic Mail - not tested

Opera Mini is a surprise, I expected it to work ok after the shutdown.
    I'm surprised about Opera Mini too. Maybe it will require the Anworm service books now.

I have the Anworm service books and I'm on Koodo Prepaid.

BB Browser - ok
    Opera Mini - ok
    LogicMail - ok (on intranet)
    Dell Voice - ok
    PodTrapper - ok
    Nobex radio - ok
    Tune In radio - ok

I'd test the connectivity of the Kindle app, but I don't feel like sharing my Amazon password with the whole world!
    Last edited by Shuswap; 01-06-22 at 02:54 PM.
    01-05-22 02:17 PM
    I Figured that based on where the thread was, but then saw the Opera Mini note, which I thought (based on other thread) was about BB10.

Edit: Also, this I think is the poster who just moved to a Classic
    I have updated the first post, to prevent any confusion in the future. The device is BB Curve 9320.

And thanks for all help you offered on BB10 OS subforum when I was racing against the clock to set up my Classic before the shutdown. It looks like I might not need that Classic after all, at least for now.
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-05-22 at 04:43 PM.
    01-05-22 03:21 PM
    Update: 2022-Jan-06 0406 EST

Bell Canada network with default service books, after battery pull reboot (BB Curve 9320).

Phone calls - ok
    SMS - ok
    BB Browser - ok
    Opera Mini -out
    Logic Mail - not tested
    BB Maps - ok (but no current location ping)
    Google Maps - stuck at Terms & Conditions
    The Weather Network - blank window
    CB Forums - crashing

I have removed "BB Email" from the list because it will never work without BIS.

Now the network connection icon (top right corner) is firmly set at 3G (w/o BIS logo). BB Browser came back to life and works quite well on lighter websites. Google Maps keeps getting stuck at T&C, just like it did years ago. The Weather Network starts ok but doesn't show any information. CB Forums app keeps loading forever and the only way out is Ctrl+Shift+Del reboot.

It doesn't look good. I will try Anworm service books later.
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-07-22 at 03:26 AM.
    01-06-22 03:09 AM
    Now the network connection icon (top right corner) is firmly set at 3G (w/o BIS logo). BB Browser came back to life and works quite well on lighter websites. Google Maps keeps getting stuck at T&C, just like it did years ago. The Weather Network sometimes works ok and sometimes shows blank pages (Current Weather page is always blank). CB Forums app keeps loading forever and the only way out is Ctrl+Shift+Del reboot.

It doesn't look good. I will try Anworm service books later.
    @Lex24 It would be a good idea to back up your existing service books before proceeding. There's an MMS service book in there that controls picture messaging and should still be good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-22 07:40 AM
    What device is that for?
    This reminds me of rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic. People need to enjoy the phones while they can, many of the apps have stopped working weeks ago, so in closing ET cannot phone home !
    01-06-22 02:09 PM
    This reminds me of rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic. People need to enjoy the phones while they can, many of the apps have stopped working weeks ago, so in closing ET cannot phone home !
    Except the ship's not sinking and the deck chairs are all in the same place. I'm in Canada, 3G is scheduled to last a few more years, and I've been using the phone without BIS since 2014. Every app that worked before the shutdown still works.

People who had BIS will lose BBM and BlackBerry email. That was expected and I think they're likely still enjoying the phones or they're heading off in a new direction. It's all good.
    gerson008 likes this.
    01-06-22 02:47 PM
    1)
    @Lex24 It would be a good idea to back up your existing service books before proceeding. There's an MMS service book in there that controls picture messaging and should still be good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Sure. I do regular backups with the Desktop Software. I actually have a dedicated partition with Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 on one of my computers (with updates up to 2019-May-10), which I mostly use playing around with BBOS phones.

2) I have updated my last post, where The Weather Network app was classified as "inconsistent". I should have done battery pull reboot before posting. After such a reboot The Weather Network app just shows the blank page in every section (Current Weather, Hourly, Daily etc.):

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/7766/G8EP2Z.jpg

3) It seems that some BIS related services somehow come back to life after BB reboot, unfortunately only for about 5 minutes. Here are two screenshots taken after the soft reboot (Alt+Shift+Del):

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/6848/oZin2m.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8052/5mND9O.jpg

This makes a big difference with The Weather Network app. During those five minutes it works just like it did before the shutdown. I didn't have a chance to test any other apps.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7341/qUawmq.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3144/zmexav.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9716/CQ3ShJ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/941/fnYqqF.jpg

The service books are still from Bell, I didn't have time to test the Anworm's ones yet.
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-07-22 at 05:06 AM.
    01-07-22 04:02 AM
    1) Sure. I do regular backups with the Desktop Software. I actually have a dedicated partition with Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 on one of my computers (with updates up to 2019-May-10), which I mostly use playing around with BBOS phones.
    That's a good idea.

2) I have updated my last post, where The Weather Network app was classified as "inconsistent". I should have done battery pull reboot before posting. After such a reboot The Weather Network app just shows the blank page in every section (Current Weather, Hourly, Daily etc.):

3) It seems that some BIS related services somehow come back to life after BB reboot, unfortunately only for about 5 minutes. Here are two screenshots taken after the soft reboot (Alt+Shift+Del):

This makes a big difference with The Weather Network app. During those five minutes it works just like it did before the shutdown. I didn't have a chance to test any other apps.

The service books are still from Bell, I didn't have time to test the Anworm's ones yet.
    The service books will probably make the difference. If not, I have a version that was once posted here (probably by the developers?): https://web.archive.org/web/20180616...om/BlackBerry/

The app is identical in appearance to the app that was in the store and definitely works with the Anworm service books. Unfortunately, the internet archive preserves .jad files, but not .cod files, so if you need it, let me know.

I'm curious to know whether your Google Maps will work again once you update the service books.
    01-07-22 07:17 AM
    Update: 2022-Jan-08 0015 EST

================================================== ==================
    Bell Canada network with Anworm service books, after battery pull reboot (BB Curve 9320).

Phone calls - ok
    SMS - ok
    BB Browser - ok
    Opera Mini -out
    Logic Mail - not tested
    BB Maps - n/a
    CB Forums - crashing

================================================== ==================
    WiFi with Anworm service books (BB Curve 9320).

Phone calls - ok
    SMS - ok
    BB Browser - ok
    Opera Mini -out
    Logic Mail - not tested
    BB Maps - ok
    CB Forums - crashing

I ran those tests yesterday but didn't have time to post. Anworm service books didn't solve the problem. They just made BB Maps icon disappear from the phone (but only with Direct TCP connection and not with WiFi).

I have a new BB 9320 in the box, with an older OS. I'm going to wipe it later, install the latest OS, put the SIM card in and run the test one more time, this time around on a phone that has never been connected to BIS. It might make the difference.
    01-09-22 10:37 AM
    @Lex24: there may be some old service books that you need to delete to get things working. You might have more than one for the browser. I'll get you a list of the ones on my device.
    01-09-22 10:47 AM
    @Lex24: I have the following service books:

Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig]
    Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP]
    BlackBerry Identity [BBID]
    MMS Client [MMS]
    Browser Config [BrowserConfig]
    WAP Push [WAPPushConfig]
    MMS Config 2.0 [WPTCP]

I suspect that I don't need the BBID (I've never entered one on this device), but it's not hurting anything, so I'm leaving it in place.
    01-09-22 10:52 AM
    Also, after you mentioned it, I installed Google Maps 3.0.1 and it's working for me. I had to restart a few times and scroll down on the terms and conditions page really fast to get to the accept button. It also seems to work best with WiFi off.
    01-09-22 10:55 AM
    @Lex24: I have the following service books:

Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig]
    Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP]
    BlackBerry Identity [BBID]
    MMS Client [MMS]
    Browser Config [BrowserConfig]
    WAP Push [WAPPushConfig]
    MMS Config 2.0 [WPTCP]

I suspect that I don't need the BBID (I've never entered one on this device), but it's not hurting anything, so I'm leaving it in place.
    That's it? I have 24 service books on the phone and 12 in the ".bbb" backup file. I will have a look at this later in the evening.
    01-09-22 11:52 AM
    That's it? I have 24 service books on the phone and 12 in the ".bbb" backup file. I will have a look at this later in the evening.
    BlackBerry must have had quite a number of service books for setting up BBM, email, etc., and for routing data through their own servers.
    01-09-22 01:21 PM
    BlackBerry browser isn't working on my Bold 9900 WiFi.
    I can't open any web page and there is no YouTube as well.

What Google maps are you talking about?
    01-09-22 07:00 PM
    BlackBerry browser isn't working on my Bold 9900 WiFi.
    I can't open any web page and there is no YouTube as well.

What Google maps are you talking about?
    There's been no YouTube for a long time.

The Google maps app is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zmqS_F9uDD7RGy. You might have to click on the icon on the right side of the page to see the file names.

Download the folder ending in "v3".

Unzip it and put the folder on your BlackBerry.

Then open the .jad file with your BlackBerry to install.
    01-09-22 07:47 PM
    Except the ship's not sinking and the deck chairs are all in the same place. I'm in Canada, 3G is scheduled to last a few more years, and I've been using the phone without BIS since 2014. Every app that worked before the shutdown still works.

People who had BIS will lose BBM and BlackBerry email. That was expected and I think they're likely still enjoying the phones or they're heading off in a new direction. It's all good.
    While 3G will stay up and running in Canada, the phones use day to day gets a little worse. As apps stop and the phones OS cannot keep up this is the last hours of the Titanic .
    01-10-22 11:45 AM
    Update: 2022-Jan-11 0545 EST

Bell Canada network with default service books.
    Brand new BB9320 wiped with JL_Cmder and the latest OS installed after that.

Phone calls - ok
    SMS - ok
    BB Email - out (requires BIS)
    BB Browser - ok
    Opera Mini -ok
    BB Maps - n/a
    CB Forums - ok
    The Weather Network - ok
    -----
    Google Maps - not tested
    Logic Mail - not tested

I suspect that Google Maps should ideally be installed in the open space outside, in clear view of the satellites. I will do this later.
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-11-22 at 07:00 AM.
    01-11-22 05:45 AM
    Where can I download BB Maps, Google Maps and The Weather Network?
    Frosty458 likes this.
    01-11-22 07:10 AM
    Where can I download BB Maps, Google Maps and The Weather Network?
    I love BB but I don't understand how to navigate all these things 90% of the Crackberry Fans know... Let me know if you find out shmeeeel
    01-12-22 12:28 AM
    I have some unexpected problems with Google Maps v3.0.1.3036:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/2609/7swyBc.jpg

Location Settings are as follows:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9793/2EDh5y.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/5468/xPrxjo.jpg

BB Browser, Opera Mini, CB Forums, The Weather Network can all connect without any problems.

All the installation files are identical to those contained in the zip archive available in post #20 above. The same files were used to install GMaps on a few of my BBOS phones in the past. The only difference is that all those phones were setup with BIS.
    01-12-22 03:03 AM
36 12