Hi everyone! First let me say that these boards have been so useful (and so addicting...) since getting my first BB, the Storm, last week. So thank you all! I've been able to figure out most of my problems by searching through the threads, but this question is somewhat unique as far as I can tell...

I'm a Gmail user and I've realized that I prefer the Gmail app over BB email (mostly for its two-way sync). The two problems I have with using the app exlusively, however, are that: (a) the Gmail app can't handle certain attachments, and (b) my Facebook app only notifies me if my email address is registered with BIS.

So ideally, I'd like to keep using the Gmail app, but also have my BB receive my emails through the BB service in case I need to send/receive an attachment and so I get my Facebook notifications. It's not a problem to have both, I know, but I don't want two sets of notifications. Is there a way I can set up a filter in BIS to (1) mark all incoming emails as read, and (2) to disable ALL new message notifications from the BB email, so I only get the app's notifications?

Can someone help? Or think up a different solution? Hope my question was clear, I know it's complicated...

Thanks in advance!
    12-05-08 01:05 AM
    Sounds like you don't want anything but facebook getting through BIS, so set up your filter in GMAIL (not BIS) only allowing facebook messages into your inbox and filter the rest into another folder.
    12-05-08 01:38 AM
    Well two things:

-- I don't get Facebook emails even when BIS is receiving emails for whatever reason. I just get a tone and notification at the top of a screen (similar to a text message) from the Facebook app.

-- Also, I DO want BIS to receive the emails so I can handle attachments if/when I get them, or emails with embedded images. I just don't want two sets of pesky notifications!

I should have mentioned this too -- when BIS is registered, but I set up a filter to not forward any new mail to my device, I get no updates via the Facebook app. (And no emails from Facebook either.)

** Basically I just want to have BIS receive emails but have it running hidden in the background with zero notifications. Please help! **
    12-05-08 09:43 AM
    Well two things:

-- I don't get Facebook emails even when BIS is receiving emails for whatever reason. I just get a tone and notification at the top of a screen (similar to a text message) from the Facebook app.

-- Also, I DO want BIS to receive the emails so I can handle attachments if/when I get them, or emails with embedded images. I just don't want two sets of pesky notifications!

I should have mentioned this too -- when BIS is registered, but I set up a filter to not forward any new mail to my device, I get no updates via the Facebook app. (And no emails from Facebook either.)

** Basically I just want to have BIS receive emails but have it running hidden in the background with zero notifications. Please help! **
    You don't get the facebook notifications because BB filters them out for you.

Click on messages, go into options, General options, Change display new message indicator to "no". I am not sure if it turns off all message options though. You will have to see.

Another option would be to go into Sounds/Set Ring Tone Alerts/Messages/select the account you don't want to hear and turn off led, vibration and sound.

Also go into your facebook options and check off leave facebook notification on server. That way when you go to your pc email, you don't have to delete all of those notifications.
    12-05-08 12:14 PM
    Click on messages, go into options, General options, Change display new message indicator to "no". I am not sure if it turns off all message options though. You will have to see.
    What that seems to do is turn off the little red star that pops up on the Messages, BB email, and SMS buttons when I receive a new message. I could live without them if need be...but I kind of like them! I'd want to either (1) turn the notifications off ONLY for the BB email, or (2) find a way to have all incoming BB email marked automatically as read so they don't show up for email anyway.

Another option would be to go into Sounds/Set Ring Tone Alerts/Messages/select the account you don't want to hear and turn off led, vibration and sound.
    I thought of that, but I don't have separate options for BB and the Gmail app, even in my custom profiles. It only shows one "Email [myemail@gmail.com]" option.

I'm starting to think this is hopeless! Thanks for trying to help...
    12-05-08 05:47 PM
    Which attachments does the gmail app have trouble downloading?
    And, if you decide to receive emails both ways, do you just go through your BB and delete emails from BB gmail periodically?

edit--
    Oh, and can't you do 2-way sync without the gmail app?
    Last edited by BuckeyesR4ever; 12-08-08 at 11:30 AM.
    12-08-08 11:17 AM
    in case anyone with a similar issue ever stumbles upon this thread, this is the solution i came up with --

im still using the gmail app because i love the two-way sync (which is more than i can say for my experience with BIS), i can search through all my old emails, and i have all my contacts right there. its just like opening my gmail account from another computer. i especially dont want to have to periodically go through any of my accounts to reconcile my read/archived messages. i have a $500 phone that's supposed to save me time, not give me more work.

i set up another email account and registered that one with BIS as well as facebook. this way, all my facebook notifications get sent through BIS and pop up through the facebook app. and if i need to open/download attachments (like ringtones, pictures, pdfs, etc.) i can just forward them from my primary gmail account to the secondary one registered with BIS.

works for me!
    12-11-08 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD