Glad to see birdman's stuff again. I moved onto the s2. But still love the curve. fa

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 09:25 PM
    v6 - download
    Coming soon to v7
    - .402 files

v7!!!!

What else is there to improve?
    12-04-09 09:45 PM
    I will be trying this tomorrow. How should I install it? I used the Nathanix walkthrough the first time? should i just wipe the phone, then install only v6 or install v6 over .230 like i did with v5?
    12-04-09 11:00 PM
    I will be trying this tomorrow. How should I install it? I used the Nathanix walkthrough the first time? should i just wipe the phone, then install only v6 or install v6 over .230 like i did with v5?
    Install over .230.
    I goofed the first time, but figured it out.
    12-04-09 11:11 PM
    What am I doing wrong here?

Games dont show up in Loader.exe. So I try to select the .alx manually but when I do that it says its not compatible with my device.
    Last edited by mxrider; 12-05-09 at 12:31 AM.
    12-05-09 12:25 AM
    This is the first time I've tried to load a different OS. I'm typically a Mac user and had the Sprint store do my last OS upgrade for me. I'm on a VERY old (running Windows 2000) laptop and I can't figure it out. When I go to download it automatically saves to my download folder with the file extension .rar. I have also downloaded the official current OS from my carrier and those files are showing with the extension .exe. I tried going through apploader but it doesn't show that I have anything to update (hybrid or official) I think because it wants file type .alx or .ali. I see the instructions say to replace files but I don't see where the other os files are stored I tried looking in the common files/rim folder and found the vendor.xml but that folder only has a handful of other files?? Please forgive me if this is in the forums . . . or even better right in front of me - I just can't find it
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone is nice enough to offer!
    Last edited by mchaney; 12-05-09 at 01:28 AM.
    12-05-09 12:37 AM
    Now I understand why they are not releasing an official OS 5.0 for the 8330. But I am going to try V6 version for the heck of it. Like I said I doubt we will ever see a official OS 5.0 for the 8330 I really do not believe it can handle it.
    LOL.....where do you get YOUR info?? 8330 is on the list for 5.0. That was released a long time ago by Kevin. Isn't it kind of strange that app world didn't work with the 5.0 leak for the 8330 but now after the latest update it does? Take it as you will but I am confident we will be seeing 5.0.
    12-05-09 01:10 AM
    so....some people have mms and some dont?

im really starting to think every phone has completely different hardware inside of it.
    12-05-09 01:21 AM
    Verizon for sure doesn't have MMS working. We can send/receive fine, but we can't see pics. (Similar to what happened in an earlier hybrid.)

Sprint may not work either. Some people thought it worked fine cause they could send/receive, but then later noticed the pics weren't there.

It sounds like MMS picture viewing is broken straight across the board.
    12-05-09 08:09 AM
    Waiting for the first reboot.

Birdman, it looks like you really stripped down the OS. I went into the Java folder looking to delete some of the files that I've had to manually delete before and they're already gone (net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_8330.cod, all of the TMO cods, etc.)

Looking through the posts, I'm wondering if everyone is following the directions in the Readme-Install.txt file and, if so, are you noticing a difference?
    12-05-09 08:19 AM
    I followed directions the first time, and the stripped down version installed by deleting the 230 folder and replacing with birdman's was very fast, but it stripped out too much for me. Namely the ability to customize ringtones and the inability to restore certain things from backup like calendar and profiles.

I tried installing it by copying the folder over 230 and then shrinking out some things I did not want, and it is much better. The speed and snappiness of v6 is still present, but all the options I want to change are also present. So, for me it's the best of both worlds. I am able to set ringtones etc just fine now.
    12-05-09 09:10 AM
    App version is supposed to say 5.0.0.351....
    I started over from scratch and this is what I have now.
    My experience so far (second try) with Birdman's 5.0 8330 hybrids (v6):
    � Media player works perfectly
    � I still have Docs2go
    � Facebook is installed and running fine
    � Under Options>Memory>
    Application Memory
    Free Space = 23.3KB
    Media Card
    Total space = 7.3MB
    Free Space = 947.6 KB
    � Received MMS and picture IS NOT viewable
    � BB Maps works
    � Phone is not snappier than before, & clock put in to LCD digital IS NOT cut off anymore on right side
    � Alt+Control+H displays
    Platform: 3.5.0.30
    App Version: 5.0.0.351 (554)

Folders appear different
    Highlight is black on home screen and blue on app screen
    Font is smaller than before
    12-05-09 09:28 AM
    Why is it that I'm missing Memopad and Tasks? Is there a way to add them back in? They don't show up in DM.
    12-05-09 09:33 AM
    I am on Sprint and can see a preview of the picture before I send it. Anyone else on Sprint with the same results??
    12-05-09 09:35 AM
    By the sounds of it, most things are working. General consensus is that we like? I will prolly give it a try when I get home. As for the people wondering if 5.0 is going to be released for 8330. A buddy of mine has sprint and says sprint released it already. Not sure but I feel the phone can handle it.

12-05-09 10:12 AM
    Install over .230.
    I goofed the first time, but figured it out.
    You do not install over the .230. You need to delete that whole folder and replace it with the one that you download. Than install as before.
    12-05-09 10:15 AM
    Why is it that I'm missing Memopad and Tasks? Is there a way to add them back in? They don't show up in DM.
    I use Memopad a lot and had to added it separately. You can added it from the .230 or from any of the other leaks. I was playing around with the latest leaked files from the 8520 and just used the file from that.
    12-05-09 10:18 AM
    I use Memopad a lot and had to added it separately. You can added it from the .230 or from any of the other leaks. I was playing around with the latest leaked files from the 8520 and just used the file from that.
    I actually just figured that one out myself and have it installed. Thanks!
    12-05-09 10:20 AM
    By the sounds of it, most things are working. General consensus is that we like? I will prolly give it a try when I get home. As for the people wondering if 5.0 is going to be released for 8330. A buddy of mine has sprint and says sprint released it already. Not sure but I feel the phone can handle it.

Sorry to say Sprint has not released 5.0.
    12-05-09 10:23 AM
    not sure about this hybrid or the previous v5 I was on cause my phone still tends to reboot itself on its own at times just as a text message comes or a phone call rings....it's pretty annoying especially when I have to wait for the very long reboot just to see what the message was or who called.
    This would happen to my BB like every 3 days or so on its own.
    12-05-09 11:22 AM
    You do not install over the .230. You need to delete that whole folder and replace it with the one that you download. Than install as before.
    It depends on what you want to be available on your phone with minimal manual modification to the install. I have little experience with BB OS files, so instead of trying to hunt down the files to enable selecting ringtones to add to the very stripped down v6 folder, I opted to install it over 230.

My advice to anyone without much expertise is to delete the 230 folder, copy the v6 folder, and then install and try it as birdman intended. If there is functionality missing that you want, then I suggest you uninstall 5.0 system files and then reinstall 230 and copy v6 over it and put it on your phone. It has worked fine for me so far by copying over 230. It's more bloated for sure and has a longer boot time, but it still is much faster in day to day use than v5 was.

Regarding MMS: On sprint, MMS sends and receives as it always has for me, which is as picturemail. You get a preview of it before you send it. After you send it, you will not see the image when you view the sent MMS. When you receive it, it is properly linked as picturemail and clicking the link takes you to the image fine.

Regarding LCD Digital Clock: On sprint, it works fine for me.
    12-05-09 12:12 PM
    riddle me this:

screenshot of an early v7 beta.
    12-05-09 01:59 PM
    double post
    12-05-09 02:00 PM
    I seem to be getting the hourglass a lot more. Especially in the browser.

12-05-09 02:42 PM
    I love v6, just wish the MMS worked. I depend on that a lot at work.

Hoping a fix is found before Monday, otherwise I may have to revert back to v5 if I can find it anywhere. (I accidentally deleted my file.)
    12-05-09 03:01 PM
330 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD