I am not sure how many carriers around the world still providing plans with BIS, but seeing and hearing about how millions of CrackBerries still rocking older BBOS phones, I wonder how they manage to get their Berries to work to their needs. Do they all have BIS? I'm curious because I don't think nowadays carriers still provide that. How do their Berries hold up with just today's normal data plan? #Nostalgia #BerriesForLife

Posted via CB10
    martinjdub likes this.
    02-12-16 06:49 AM
    BlackBerry and the carriers set up the BIS architecture years ago and it's still very alive today, but since BBOS devices are no longer offered by some carriers it sits dormant in the background. I'm pretty confident that the carriers could add a BBOS back on theri network and it would work. I used to work at carrier....
    02-12-16 08:50 AM
    BlackBerry and the carriers set up the BIS architecture years ago and it's still very alive today, but since BBOS devices are no longer offered by some carriers it sits dormant in the background. I'm pretty confident that the carriers could add a BBOS back on theri network and it would work. I used to work at carrier....
    Definitely true for AT&T

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    02-12-16 11:04 AM
    Yes, you can use normal data plan without bis/bes on pre-bb10 devices. It is working fine and it is not chewing up the data like on bb10 however do note that there is nothing to be used on legacy devices. You can check mail and browse the internet, use whatsapp and viber and whatnot. Do note that most of the apps (if not all) on BlackBerry World are so bad that you should avoid to give it 1B of data on your phone.

Btw, there are service books which can be flashed via desktop software in order to make legacy devices to use wi-fi before data connection. It is working good (not perfect but good) so it is great to own this kind of device these days especially considering that they are dirt cheap (not to mention official accessories from amazon/ebay from blackberry).
    02-16-16 02:28 PM
    Yes, you can use normal data plan without bis/bes on pre-bb10 devices. It is working fine and it is not chewing up the data like on bb10 however do note that there is nothing to be used on legacy devices. You can check mail and browse the internet, use whatsapp and viber and whatnot. Do note that most of the apps (if not all) on BlackBerry World are so bad that you should avoid to give it 1B of data on your phone.

Btw, there are service books which can be flashed via desktop software in order to make legacy devices to use wi-fi before data connection. It is working good (not perfect but good) so it is great to own this kind of device these days especially considering that they are dirt cheap (not to mention official accessories from amazon/ebay from blackberry).
    Thanks for the info! Good to know.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 07:49 AM
    Hi, new to crackberry. Picked up a used bold 9900, called my service provider but they told me I can't a blackberry internet service plan anymore and that I should just get an iphone or android phone instead. Does any of the carriers support BIS anymore?
    02-19-16 06:25 PM
    Do any of the carriers support BIS anymore?
    AT&T

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    02-20-16 08:25 AM
    I had a bb7 device on t-mobile early last year, but I'm not sure if they still offer it.
    02-25-16 11:07 AM
    Vodafone Germany still offers BIS if you look closely at the options they give you..
    03-02-16 07:05 AM
    Vodafone Germany still offers BIS if you look closely at the options they give you..
    Do you know how much do they charge for Bis and if it is onhe Vertrag also available?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 01:55 PM
    BIS has always been an optional (free) extra on all UK network contracts. Well when I say all, the ones I can say for sure are 3, o2, EE and Vodafone.
    03-03-16 05:51 AM
    In Thailand the only telco still servicing BIS is Dtac. The others (such as AIS and True) have terminated their BIS prepaid and postpaid packages. While in Malaysia, all the telco still provide BIS.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 04:16 PM
    Do you know how much do they charge for Bis and if it is onhe Vertrag also available?

Posted via CB10
    Hey, I hope I'm not mixing up things here, but the additional BlackBerry Services you need are free on the normal CallYa Talk&SMS prepaid plan. So no contract. Then you simply pick the things you need (250MB / 750MB / 2GB; Vodafone-Flat; SMS-Pack) and are good to go.

Here are some Details http://www.vodafone.de/infofaxe/4409.pdf
    https://www.vodafone.de/freikarten/callya-talk-sms/
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-11-16 03:10 AM
    Hi, new to crackberry. Picked up a used bold 9900, called my service provider but they told me I can't a blackberry internet service plan anymore and that I should just get an iphone or android phone instead. Does any of the carriers support BIS anymore?
    In Canada Telus will support BIS but their budget phone provider Kowloon will not. Bell, Virginia and Rogers all support BIS plans.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 09:49 AM
    O2 in Germany offer BIS too, well they did back in December when I was in Munich.

It's a pity BlackBerry don't issue a list of all the carriers around the world that still support BIS, this would be very useful when planning trips overseas. Here in the UK, it's not an issue, yet anyway.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-21-16 05:40 AM
    Hey, I hope I'm not mixing up things here, but the additional BlackBerry Services you need are free on the normal CallYa Talk&SMS prepaid plan. So no contract. Then you simply pick the things you need (250MB / 750MB / 2GB; Vodafone-Flat; SMS-Pack) and are good to go.

Here are some Details http://www.vodafone.de/infofaxe/4409.pdf
    https://www.vodafone.de/freikarten/callya-talk-sms/
    Thank you so much Markus, und bitte unschuldigen Sie mich for my late reply. Appreciated. Cheers...or Tsch�ss!!

Posted via CB10
    anon(9697770) likes this.
    03-22-16 11:05 AM
    Come to Poland - BIS here is one of the cheapest offers in the world. Two Carriers support BIS in prepaid - the cost is 15zl (which means about 4�) and 10zl(3�). Who wants it? And 4 carriers on on contract still offer BIS.
    Last edited by Michniks; 03-31-16 at 01:21 AM.
    03-31-16 12:54 AM
    BIS has always been an optional (free) extra on all UK network contracts. Well when I say all, the ones I can say for sure are 3, o2, EE and Vodafone.

Misinformation. All CHARGED for BIS (the opposite of free). Only recently has Giff Gaff offered it free + Goodie bag.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    04-27-16 09:13 AM
    Misinformation. All CHARGED for BIS (the opposite of free). Only recently has Giff Gaff offered it free + Goodie bag.
    Yes, BIS is free on giffgaff (UK) with one of their goodybags (monthly talk, text & data plans) and works really well. I used to pay �5 per month for BIS on 3 (UK) but I think that they may have been offering BIS for free on new activations around the time I moved on.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    04-30-16 03:30 AM
    In Canada Telus will support BIS but their budget phone provider Kowloon will not. Bell, Virginia and Rogers all support BIS plans.

Posted via CB10
    I made a set of service books to enable MMS on Koodo, if anyone wants them.
    04-30-16 09:06 PM
    Yes, BIS is free on giffgaff (UK) with one of their goodybags (monthly talk, text & data plans) and works really well. I used to pay �5 per month for BIS on 3 (UK) but I think that they may have been offering BIS for free on new activations around the time I moved on.
    Thats nice but it really isnt relevant to anything I said.
    05-03-16 08:07 AM
    Thank you so much Markus, und bitte unschuldigen Sie mich for my late reply. Appreciated. Cheers...or Tsch�ss!!

Posted via CB10
    I has same info from vodafone.
    Und es stimmt, O2 bietet die Option ebenfalls an.
    Cheers and Tsch�ss.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 02:04 PM
    Well I get it free. On EE. Go figure.
    02-15-17 11:38 AM