Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, but I have a question when it comes to BBM and overseas. I've searched the net and couldn't find the answer.

I brought my Crackberry 9700 to Israel with me on vacation. Since I'm with Rogers, I purchased an international data package so I was able to keep a blog going as a journal and BBM with my friends back home. Now that I'm back, a few friends bills have come in with a few extra charges.

My question: do people sending me msgs from Canada get billed extra for BBM usage while I'm out of the country or overseas?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 11:49 AM
    I've never been charged for any international BBM usage.

What did the charges show up as on their bill? Is it possible you or they might have accidentally used SMS instead of BBM a few times? I know BBM can show SMS conversations in it with the right settings and I can see where someone might have gotten crossed up on which to pick...
    12-16-10 12:20 PM
    On my mom's bill (she's with BELL) it says OUT OF PLAN USAGE .8710mb.

I don't know what it says on my friends bill; just the charges were little higher than normal on hers and she couldnt see why. Even with SMS, they'd still be sending to a local number and I would be the one getting charged for replying to it. All incoming messages were definitely through BBM...
    12-16-10 12:35 PM
    no you can BBM anywhere in the world and it wont cost any extra, the only time it would is if your abroad (or roaming on another network), and only you would pay the additional data costs (like that pack ya had).

im in the UK and BBM people in USA and canada all the time, and it never costs me a penny extra

also as far as the SMS side of things, i dont think that would make a difference anyways as they are texting a local mobile number, so again its only the person roaming on another network that would pay extra.
    12-16-10 12:41 PM
    Do you need data package ?
    12-16-10 12:45 PM
    If you don't want to be billed ridiculous data fees, then yes. Roaming is a lot, especially with Rogers Wireless as they charge a minimum of 20kb at a time, so if you get a 2kb email, it'll cost the same as 20kb of data. Really stupid...
    12-16-10 01:13 PM
    hi i was just talking with Telus and i found out that they round up every 250KB to a MB so every 250KBs i use there going to charge it as if i've used a MB, but there site says something different

What you need to know
    This change may or may not affect you, depending on whether or not you have a data package or data rate plan.
    If you have a data package or data rate plan you will not be affected
    If you have a plan such as Package 20, Spark bundle, or unlimited Web browsing, you will not be affected by the change. However, if you change your data rate plan or remove your data package from your existing plan, the new pay-per-use rating model will apply after May 16, 2010.
    Find out if you have a data package or a data rate plan
    If you have a data package, it is listed on your bill under Value-Added Services. If you have a data rate plan, it is listed on your bill under Monthly Service Plans.
    If you don't have a data package or a data rate plan
    Beginning May 16, 2010, Web browsing charges will be based on volume of data used, rather than the current 10� per page. The new charges will be:
    $3 per megabyte (MB) for the first 5 MB. Usage up to 1 MB will be billed at $3.

$1per MB for each megabyte beyond the first 5.

The amount of data sent or received by a device is measured in kilobytes (KB) and converted and reflected on your bill as a charge per megabyte (MB), where 1024 KB = 1 MB and 1024 MB = 1 gigabyte (GB). You'll find this fee charge noted as Data Usage under Data and Other Services on your monthly TELUS mobile bill.

How the look of your bill will change
    On bills before May 16, 2010
    Data and Other Services
    Service Total Events Event Type Total
    Web Browsing 25 WWB $2.50
    Total $2.50
    On bills after May 16th, 2010
    Data and Other Services
    Service Total Events Event Type Total
    Data Usage 0.85 MB $3.00
    Total $3.00
    Estimating your data usage
    Activity Average data per activity Sample description
    Web pages 100 KB Facebook™, eBay™
    Email 4 KB Text only (no attachments)
    Email with small attachment 40 KB Smaller Word� documents, Excel� spreadsheets; PowerPoint� presentations
    Email with large attachment 500 KB Larger Word� documents; Excel� spreadsheets; PowerPoint� presentations
    Email with graphic attachment 1 MB Average quality picture
    Music download 5 MB 4-minute song
    Streaming audio 1 MB/min Internet radio
    Streaming video 1 MB/min YouTube™
    International Data Roaming Rates
    Beginning April 11th, 2010, international data usage charges will be changing from a charge per kilobyte to a charge for data usage per session, charged in increments of 20 KB. A session is any uninterrupted activity when you're browsing the Web, emailing, listening to music, or watching video.You will continue to be charged the Canadian pay-per-use rate (if you don't have a data package) and the applicable roaming rates if you roam in the United States or internationally.

im confused
    05-22-11 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD