Okay so im back home at sydney for about a month and im on vodafone prepaid because no point setting up a contract and there is no BIS Or BES plan on prepaid so i need a way to make this work now my friend uses BBM and messenger and everything on wifi without any type of data plan is this possible... btw my whatsapp and browser do work somehow but bbm? please help since im sure theres a possible way?
    08-05-11 08:14 AM
    The answer is no. You need to register on the network with a data plan to use BBM.
    08-05-11 08:22 AM
    thats so inconvenient when your prepaid plan dosent support that but then whats the explanation for somebody else to be using it just within wifi?
    08-05-11 08:28 AM
    They must already have registered the pin with the carrier. Try and find a monthly plan that has BIS. Set it up for a month or until your trip is over
    08-05-11 08:30 AM
    BBM will not work without a data plan, the browser and some apps will.
    08-05-11 09:09 AM
    Well I guess she does magic haha since she said she never registered with the carrier, she took her fone to be fixed and then she said when she connected to wifi her bbm worked...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 09:13 AM
    Well I guess she does magic haha since she said she never registered with the carrier, she took her fone to be fixed and then she said when she connected to wifi her bbm worked...

http://forums.crackberry.com/native-...a-plan-463249/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/other-c...ve-bbm-626809/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/other-s...a-plan-571936/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/native-...a-plan-290179/

Need more?
    08-05-11 09:17 AM
    . no need to get all rude n that, was just saying its weird don't you think? Jeez.

08-05-11 09:21 AM
    . no need to get all rude n that, was just saying its weird don't you think? Jeez.

I wasn't getting rude, I was pointing out that the question has been asked and the consensus is that BBM doesn't work without a data plan.

I agree, it is weird. I'd love to know how it happened.
    08-05-11 09:25 AM
    I wasn't getting rude, I was pointing out that the question has been asked and the consensus is that BBM doesn't work without a data plan.

Lol, BBM is addictive and the heights people climb just to get it working. -_-

08-05-11 09:33 AM
    Lol, BBM is addictive
    +1 that it is!
    08-05-11 09:34 AM

It is not wierd at all, because it never happened. Simple as that...

08-05-11 01:44 PM
    Well if it never happened then I wouldn't be asking about it and btw the problem is that I actually cannot get BES or BIS on the prepaid so no solution I guess.

08-07-11 08:19 AM
    Well if it never happened then I wouldn't be asking about it and btw the problem is that I actually cannot get BES or BIS on the prepaid so no solution I guess.

yeah one of the pitfalls of bbm. It's just a pain to set up when you're overseas unless first your carrier supports a reasonable enough plan for roaming overseas or there's a reasonable plans overseas for prepaid calls and blackberry data to register your pin to the network but before you even get to that point you have to unregister your pin from your network back home. easy much?

that's why whatsapp and the upcoming iphone messaging system is going to work so well with so many people. convenience when going overseas and using carrier data or wifi connected...

I love bbm but its a pain but if rim could make it easier i'd be all over that... After all, rim have servers all over the world surely a plug and connect would be easy enough but guess its all about whats in it for the carrier
    Last edited by zensen; 08-07-11 at 08:39 AM.
    08-07-11 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD