It is special because you can contact someone via a pin message if you don't have them on your contact list. Name one IM that allows that.
    Cant think of any, just didn't know what a PIN message was
    03-24-12 06:57 AM
    03-24-12 07:39 AM
    I want to thank everyone for the technical explanations (tech babble), but it still brings us to the OP's original question......what's all the fuss about? ......if you still don't get it, use it for a month (give it a chance) and I'm almost sure you will get it .......BBM is fabulous
    03-24-12 07:46 AM

I still can't really imagine people on other platforms casting envious glances at BlackBerry users for BBM or willing to pay for BBM on other platforms though, when apps like Viber and Skype are free, can you?
    I very much can't see why people would pay the astronomical cost that they would have to charge non BB users to connect to BBM.

Most of the people who suggest BBM on multiple Platforms don't understand the back end of the BlackBerry system, or they don't understand implications to RIM's service revenue. OR they are just looking for page hits and traffic.

BBM is the top dog, because like iMessage you know everyone with a BlackBerry has BBM, or with an iPhone has iMessage, the cross platform apps just don't offer this.

unfortunately until you've used BBM you can never get the full appreciation for what BBM is, you need to have those 3 or 4 contacts who you love to talk to, be them friends, family, or some stranger you've got a lot in common with.
    I have had some great friends I thought I'd never lose contact with, but once they no longer had BBM those multiple chats a day, turned to one email a week, to never really talking with them.
    03-24-12 08:59 AM

BBM is the top dog, because like iMessage you know everyone with a BlackBerry has BBM, or with an iPhone has iMessage, the cross platform apps just don't offer this.
    Correct me, if I am wrong but isn't iMessage only on iOS 5 devices? If so, that means that you have to have an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that can be upgraded to iOS 5. BBM works on all OSes from 4.7 upwards, granted the BBM 6 only works with 5 upwards.
    03-24-12 09:15 AM
    I do love BBM. My biggest beef is that since I've got multiple people on multiple platforms (some BB, some Android, some iPhone, some on feature/dumb phones) that for the most part I rely on SMS anyways. I do love all the good things about BBM though. The D/R stuff can be both good/bad. Sometimes I only have time to read a message but no time to reply. Yes, it happens. Sometimes this makes the other person upset that I'm "ignoring" them, but that's life... then I have to deal with them pinging me non-stop for the next hour until I have a few minutes to message back and explain. But it is also nice to see delivered/read/typing in real time.

And I'm suffering right now on a feature phone... I miss my BBM groups.
    03-24-12 11:55 AM
    I do love BBM. My biggest beef is that since I've got multiple people on multiple platforms (some BB, some Android, some iPhone, some on feature/dumb phones) that for the most part I rely on SMS anyways. I do love all the good things about BBM though. The D/R stuff can be both good/bad. Sometimes I only have time to read a message but no time to reply. Yes, it happens. Sometimes this makes the other person upset that I'm "ignoring" them, but that's life... then I have to deal with them pinging me non-stop for the next hour until I have a few minutes to message back and explain. But it is also nice to see delivered/read/typing in real time.

And I'm suffering right now on a feature phone... I miss my BBM groups.
    Just don't open their messages if you don't want to or have time to reply, then they won't get the 'R' until you do. And why are you on a feature phone???
    03-24-12 01:06 PM
    I think one of the points everyone is missing is that the OP mentioned how he doesn't have any contacts. On my end, I ended up going iphone mainly due to the fact while i DID have a BBM list, it had rapidly dwindled as many of my friends (I'm 29 going on 30) happened to be swapping to other platforms. I went from actively chatting with 50+ BBM to barely 5 people, and it seemed like I was texting way more than any kind of BBM usage, plus I had unlimited txts so I didn't see much difference.

On a side note, it was rather annoying how certain apps I used were somewhat cripped on the BB platform (Yelp comes to mind, always a bummer when other people got discounts for checking in and I didn't seem to be able to do so, has this changed?)

Anyhow, I still check BB related information and Crackberry not to troll or be a as so many seem to be, but more-so for the hope of BB becoming relevant again outside of the enterprise markets (most of the BB users I currently know are using company issued hardware with secondary phones so BBM ends up being their internal company IM system and not much else...). Competition is good for everyone!
    03-24-12 04:17 PM
    BBM is the sh!t. Pure and simple.

I have sms'd, mms'd, icq'd, msg'd, app'd, ping'd, IM'd, aim'd, kik'd, orkut'd, googled, air'd, aug'd, and fb'd(I am sure I am missing a few). I used to try almost any type of IM app. Past tense.

I use BBM + Trillian (Only cause some people demanded whatsapp, so I just bought it to make other non BB users happy)

What I will never understand is someone who has a BB and doesn't have a single BBM contact. What's the problem?

Whatsapp works on Trillian?
    03-24-12 06:37 PM
    What is trillian ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    03-24-12 07:45 PM
    What is trillian ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    It's a muti-protcol im client, it's been around for PC's for a long time.
    Trillian
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-12 07:55 PM
    dude, you're just being silly while making an attempt at being condescending. first of all, that comment you made about "no one im close to has a blackberry...", what are you? a friggin hermit crab? you are a LIAR. how do i know? because by the very nature of your question, its OBVIOUS YOU HAVE BEEN TALKING WITH OTHERS ABOUT IT!!! theres no need to LIE to us to sound cool, ok buddy? and by the way...i have over 600 contacts on my bbm...i wasnt "close to" ANY of them either...so far, i have met more girls on it than i care to admit because i dont know who's gonna actually read this...and i have the sexiest ones coming up to see me from venezuela, the netherlands and one from martinique. i met them from bbm. smoothie, pinbook, wikitude, and pintrains all will have you meeting ppl all over the planet in no time flat. sharing vids and voicenotes ALL IN THE SAME CHAT!!! can you do THAT in ANY ONE APP? NO! you sound like an oyedoy naming all the different things you have to go through in order to match BBM! you're like "why should i have a car and drive anywhere i want? if i need to go see a girl, i just get on the bus, a bus pass will work. besides, i take the train to work anyway...derrr a-duhhh, derrrrr and when i get groceries, a pushcart works just as well as a trunk...why do i need a car? a derrrr duhh derrrrrr"...
    like ol boy said....if you have to ask... YOU DONT GET IT...now stop trying to sound smart. dont bother with what im sure will be a poor excuse for a witty response in the name of saving face, ok? just go add some contacts to your bbm and stop being a waste of our unlimited data.
    Last edited by sackmanbandit; 05-30-12 at 09:52 AM.
    05-30-12 09:45 AM
    I'm surprised!
    Why do you have a BB without BBM? :s

1. Add a few BBM contacts
    2. Join a few BBM groups
    3. Start up a few interesting conversations
    4. Share a few pics and interesting stuff in groups
    5. Smile wide and come back here

You will then know what we are talking about.

P.S. I'm not being abusive or doesn't want to make you sound like a culprit. Just trying to make you understand what BBM is by trying a self dose!
    05-30-12 10:08 AM
    I'm surprised!
    Why do you have a BB without BBM? :s

1. Add a few BBM contacts
    2. Join a few BBM groups
    3. Start up a few interesting conversations
    4. Share a few pics and interesting stuff in groups
    5. Smile wide and come back here

You will then know what we are talking about.

P.S. I'm not being abusive or doesn't want to make you sound like a culprit. Just trying to make you understand what BBM is by trying a self dose!
    Sounds like a plan. Its what I ended up doing, Ive got a 9900, sent my old 9780 to a friend overseas, who became my first BBM contact. He had a friend with a Berry who became my second contact.
    Now buying BBs for my wife and parents so Ill have a few more contacts as well. Definitely not a cheap undertaking, but people aren't willing to switch to BB at the moment unless they're given a lot of incentive, like someone else buying them a phone.
    Honestly?
    BBMs alright, its not that far from Whatsapp. Certainly nothing to switch platforms for, in my opinion.
    I think an interesting point is, if you have to tell someone, 'You have to try this program, its so awesome, I can't tell you why its better than other alternatives, so buy this phone, switch ecosystems completely, but then trust me, this program will be worth it', thats not an approach thats going to work with most intelligent people.
    I think most people suggesting BBM blows away the alternatives haven't tried the alternatives.
    I do enjoy using BBM though, even more than Whatsapp. Its definitely better and smoother, but not by as far as some would have you believe, but when taken in conjunction with the other awesome features of my BlackBerry I think it makes it the best overall package thats available at the moment.
    05-30-12 05:42 PM
    Sounds like a plan. Its what I ended up doing, Ive got a 9900, sent my old 9780 to a friend overseas, who became my first BBM contact. He had a friend with a Berry who became my second contact.
    Now buying BBs for my wife and parents so Ill have a few more contacts as well. Definitely not a cheap undertaking, but people aren't willing to switch to BB at the moment unless they're given a lot of incentive, like someone else buying them a phone.
    Honestly?
    BBMs alright, its not that far from Whatsapp. Certainly nothing to switch platforms for, in my opinion.
    I think an interesting point is, if you have to tell someone, 'You have to try this program, its so awesome, I can't tell you why its better than other alternatives, so buy this phone, switch ecosystems completely, but then trust me, this program will be worth it', thats not an approach thats going to work with most intelligent people.
    It is not necessary to make people change platforms.
    What we normally do is; if we find somebody with a BB, we chat and end up exchanging pins and then we become buddies. And there are aplenty of friends and relatives around the world with BBs, so they all end up pinging each other in BBM.
    It is a disease/craziness/fad we BB owners have.
    Hard to explain to those who aren't infected yet.
    I think most people suggesting BBM blows away the alternatives haven't tried the alternatives.
    Sorry, I beg to disagree.
    I have tried/used and still uses pretty much all other alternatives out there and I swear; NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO BBM.
    Period.
    05-30-12 10:11 PM
    1. Efficient. Get in a really bad coverage area to the point where you barely have service. Calls fail. SMS fails. Emails fail. BBM *works*. I did not believe this until I experienced it.

2. Reliable. Unless RIM has an outage (which can happen) you can be certain it will go through. In fact you see it go through and you see the other person read the message (the little "D" and "R"). I've had SMS messages disappear into the ether. Never a BBM.

3. Secure. If you run a business that counts on confidentiality you value this. We know and trust RIM. They earned it in terms of security. I have no idea who operates Whatsapp, or Kik or any of those others.

4. It is not just "text". You can BBM voice notes, pics, vids.

5. Spans the globe. Works where ever you have data service.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-30-12 11:07 PM
    once I delete someone from BBM and Block them, they need to buy a New BlackBerry to re add me

Lol. Now that's hardcore. Cool.

05-30-12 11:14 PM
    Just interested to see replies from people who use BBM and see it as a major draw to a BlackBerry.
    I love my 9900 but don't have a single contact on BBM. I can't find anything on the BlackBerry website about why BBM is such a big deal.
    I can have group chats in Whatsapp. I can have chats and voice calls on Viber soon. People on iOS and Android and WP7 can have chats and voice and video chats on Skype. All cross platform.
    My wife has an Android phone and with a shared Google account we have a shared calendar.
    Im just wondering why people from other platforms would really care about BBM at all when they have programs that maybe don't offer the same text based functionality that BBM does, but have voice and video as well instead, which surely would trump just text.
    The best thing about bbm is you dont need any phone numbers.. I can erase you and im done with you, FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!
    05-30-12 11:25 PM

Also not to mention its quick as he'll. I need an instant answer, bam right into the appropriate fire away and I'll get a response quickly and I'll know they are typing.

Yeah a while back I was at a convention and buying a tshirt for my wife who was at home. The booth vendor had an iphone and was using square to process payments, which I thought was cool (I do point of sale systems for a living). So then I needed to ask my wife which color shirt she wanted. There was a line behind me. I BBM'ed her. I wanted to "hurry" and let the booth vendor know I would have an answer and not hold things up but a moment. I was saying out loud.. "Ok she read it. Now she's typing a message back...". The vendor lady asked how I could tell and I told her BBM shows all that on a BlackBerry. She found it interesting.

05-30-12 11:32 PM
    Just don't open their messages if you don't want to or have time to reply, then they won't get the 'R' until you do.
    Plus I think there's at least one third party app that allows you to not show the "R".

05-30-12 11:37 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD