Just interested to see replies from people who use BBM and see it as a major draw to a BlackBerry.
    I love my 9900 but don't have a single contact on BBM. I can't find anything on the BlackBerry website about why BBM is such a big deal.
    I can have group chats in Whatsapp. I can have chats and voice calls on Viber soon. People on iOS and Android and WP7 can have chats and voice and video chats on Skype. All cross platform.
    My wife has an Android phone and with a shared Google account we have a shared calendar.
    Im just wondering why people from other platforms would really care about BBM at all when they have programs that maybe don't offer the same text based functionality that BBM does, but have voice and video as well instead, which surely would trump just text.
    03-22-12 03:38 PM
    I think BBM is a big deal because the BlackBerrys are always connected to the server. I find that other instant messengers lose their connection to the server, and I have to sign in again from time to time. That is if I even realize I'm not connected. With BBM you don't have to worry about that: it's always connected. Also, with BlackBerry, you'll use less data because of the compression. That goes for BBM, too.
    Last edited by T�nis; 03-22-12 at 05:11 PM.
    03-22-12 05:09 PM
    Its really fast, it let's you know when the other person has read your message and RIM and intergrated it into their devices so smoothly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-22-12 05:14 PM
    Just interested to see replies from people who use BBM and see it as a major draw to a BlackBerry.
    I love my 9900 but don't have a single contact on BBM. I can't find anything on the BlackBerry website about why BBM is such a big deal.
    I can have group chats in Whatsapp. I can have chats and voice calls on Viber soon. People on iOS and Android and WP7 can have chats and voice and video chats on Skype. All cross platform.
    My wife has an Android phone and with a shared Google account we have a shared calendar.
    Im just wondering why people from other platforms would really care about BBM at all when they have programs that maybe don't offer the same text based functionality that BBM does, but have voice and video as well instead, which surely would trump just text.
    If you have to ask, you don't get it....it's just that simple
    03-22-12 05:15 PM
    It's secure, fast, fun, easy to find and connect to people all over the world, and if everyone had a blackberry there would be no need for the others......it's free. Did I mention cool as h*ll? Gimme some time to get awake and I'll have some more.....
    03-22-12 05:20 PM
    BBM is the sh!t. Pure and simple.

I have sms'd, mms'd, icq'd, msg'd, app'd, ping'd, IM'd, aim'd, kik'd, orkut'd, googled, air'd, aug'd, and fb'd(I am sure I am missing a few). I used to try almost any type of IM app. Past tense.

I use BBM + Trillian (Only cause some people demanded whatsapp, so I just bought it to make other non BB users happy)

What I will never understand is someone who has a BB and doesn't have a single BBM contact. What's the problem?
    03-22-12 05:26 PM
    1) I can spend hours on BBM without trashing any data limits.
    2) The UI on anything else may sometimes look cooler, but BBM is more functional with its integration to messaging and the OS. I can go to messaging & right into the conversation.
    3) It doesn't suck the life out of my battery like Whatsapp does.
    bobauckland likes this.
    03-22-12 05:31 PM
    It's native.
    No bugs.
    Doesn't use alot of battery
    Doesn't use a lot of data
    D and R
    Uses data not sms
    Picture sharing with options for pictures size
    Voice note sharing
    Location sharing using BB Maps
    Music sharing
    Groups
    Broadcast messages
    Copy chats
    Save chats
    Send calendar appointments
    Ping repeatedly haha
    Secure
    Fast
    Backup and Restore options
    international free
    Good selection of emotion faces
    Simple UI
    BBM connected apps

It is great if you have other BlackBerry contacts. I'm working on getting some of my friends and family to switch!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-22-12 at 05:44 PM.
    03-22-12 05:33 PM
    I've tried a bunch of IM proggies and could never understand why BBM is better. Finally I've figured it out. It is the people. BlackBerry owners are smarter and more interesting. We are the rebels. We think outside the box. We refuse to wear the uniform. It really is that simple.
    This is silly. Most generalisations are.

I think BBM is a big deal because the BlackBerrys are always connected to the server. I find that other instant messengers lose their connection to the server, and I have to sign in again from time to time. That is if I even realize I'm not connected. With BBM you don't have to worry about that: it's always connected. Also, with BlackBerry, you'll use less data because of the compression. That goes for BBM, too.
    Never been signed out of WhatsApp and if I understand it correctly, as it also uses data through RIMs network, its compressed data wise, and is available whenever BBM is available, so even when the networks are stressed etc.

I dont, thats why I asked. Still don't really.

BBM is the sh!t. Pure and simple.

I have sms'd, mms'd, icq'd, msg'd, app'd, ping'd, IM'd, aim'd, kik'd, orkut'd, googled, air'd, aug'd, and fb'd(I am sure I am missing a few). I used to try almost any type of IM app. Past tense.

I use BBM + Trillian (Only cause some people demanded whatsapp, so I just bought it to make other non BB users happy)

What I will never understand is someone who has a BB and doesn't have a single BBM contact. What's the problem?
    No one Im close to has a BlackBerry. Simple.

1) I can spend hours on BBM without trashing any data limits.
    2) The UI on anything else may sometimes look cooler, but BBM is more functional with its integration to messaging and the OS. I can go to messaging & right into the conversation.
    3) It doesn't suck the life out of my battery like Whatsapp does.
    Ah battery, first good point, thanks, you're right, whatsapp is a battery hog.

It's native.
    No bugs.
    D and R
    Uses data not sms
    Voice note sharing
    Music sharing
    Groups
    Broadcast messages
    Copy chats
    Save chats
    Ping repeatedly haha
    Secure
    Fast
    international free
    Simple UI
    BBM connected apps

It is great if you have other BlackBerry contacts. I'm working on getting some of my friends and family to switch!
    BBM connected apps is another positive definitely.

Surprised this was moved to a sub forum as Im sure other people would be in the same conundrum and would find positives of BBM interesting, and its more likely to spur discussion if its not buried in a sub forum with minimal traffic, but oh well.
    So far theres 2 major positives, battery efficiency and BBM connected apps, battery efficiency in particular is a massive plus.
    Found it interesting when people suggested BBM be cross platform with other platforms paying for it, I was wondering why anyone would pay for it on another platform. I still don't see how it would work, I very much doubt people would pay for a chat app that does some things well, but doesn't offer options like voice and video chat that other apps do for free on other ecosystems, like Skype or Viber.
    Still hoping for more answers to make it clearer, but at the moment sounds like RIM started a brilliant idea, but they've fallen behind in neglecting options like voice/video, while other chat programs have included them.
    I doubt data usage from text chat on apps like Skype, Viber, Whatsapp etc would amount to too much.
    03-22-12 07:13 PM
    Your thread is now in the correct forums for BlackBerry native Apps.

For me there's way more than 2 pros.

Right now I use Live Profile as a BBM replacement as I only have two people left I know using a BlackBerry. But Live Profile doesn't offer nearly what BBM does. It is awesome for just chat with sent and read receipts thought. PLUS, it's cross platform. LP is a bit hard on my battery though. Can't share files, voice notes, etc.

Not sure what you're looking for. I gave a pretty big list and others gave their reasons as well.

Video BBM will probably come with BB10. I had Skype on my Android and it was neat. But I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. Would be a nice options to have.

I can't wait til I can delete LP and just use BBM...Like I used to back in the old days when BlackBerry was on top. It'll happen again. Oh yes.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-22-12 at 07:44 PM.
    03-22-12 07:39 PM
    @bobauckland

It's not just the data from text that people are concerned about. I think the im programs use data just being on/connected. If whatsapp is keeping you signed in, great. I'm sure BBM is more reliable and, as mentioned, better on battery life.
    03-22-12 07:50 PM
    As Crissy Said BBM offers a lot.

BBM offers a bit more anonymity, once I delete someone from BBM and Block them, they need to buy a New BlackBerry to re add me, they can't just create a new account, and once I switch Blackberry's there is no way unless I publish my PIN for them to re add me.

BBM's UI is clean and simple with multiple options,
    BBM uses less data than any other IM client as it is designed with data conservation in mind, it auto compresses images and gives you the ability to download the higher rez one, voicenotes are very very small, you've got Profile pictures again heavily compressed and status notifications are controllable as to how much you want to see.

Group Chat offers shared calendars, shared lists, multiple chats, notifications can again be shut off or activated.

Video Chat is pointless on current RIM phones because they don't have FFC's, as for Free Voice calls, RIM offers MVS to Enterprise users, but they don't have a consumer product, and people developing for consumer products can't see how to make money with the RIM consumer products.
    kemj, bobauckland and Chrisy like this.
    03-22-12 07:54 PM
    I'm a heavy user of BBM and Whatsapp (for friends on the other side of the platform).

BBM is great for the battery, can do and share so much with your contacts and yes, I can't really live without the little D and R. Not to mention I can add someone to my contacts just by sharing a pin.

Whatsapp can do probably 80-90% of what BBM can, but it's a major battery hog and can't send documents (which is kinda inconvenient when I want to get some work done and have to send via email).
    What I dislike is you'll need to give out your telephone number in order to add a contact.
    03-23-12 01:32 AM
    It's native.
    No bugs.
    D and R
    Uses data not sms
    Voice note sharing
    Music sharing
    Groups
    Broadcast messages
    Copy chats
    Save chats
    Ping repeatedly haha
    Secure
    Fast
    international free
    Simple UI
    BBM connected apps

I know you made a large list Crissy, but only a few points made sense to me in terms of selling BBM. You came from an Android phone, so you know whats on offer, Im trying to tell my friends and family to convert to BlackBerries and they go, 'And give up Skype?' And I tell them about BBM and they say so its the same as Skype but without voice and video, sounds like a step back. Looking through your list, lets see whats on it

It's native. - As in built into the system? Thats nice, doesn't really matter if it doesn't offer the features non native apps do does it?
    No bugs. - Same as above
    Doesn't use alot of battery - Big plus
    Doesn't use a lot of data - I was under the impression everything sent through a BlackBerry goes through the data compression but I take it this is more efficient through BBM so yes this is a plus
    D and R - Plus in some ways, neg in others! People will know when Im ignoring them!
    Uses data not sms - Same as most other apps
    Picture sharing with options for pictures size - There on Whatsapp for sure
    Voice note sharing - On whatsapp
    Location sharing using BB Maps - on viber
    Music sharing - With a subscription
    Groups - On whatsapp
    Broadcast messages - Whats this?
    Copy chats - Don't think this is easy to do on other apps Ive tried, so yes, a plus
    Save chats - On whatsapp
    Send calendar appointments - A plus but don't know how often this is needed when you can schedule an appointment and invite anyone needed form the calendar app
    Ping repeatedly haha - Meaning the phone vibrates right? Doesn't it do that on any message from any app if you want it to?
    Secure - I don't mind if people read my messages telling my family I love them! And I certainly wouldn't trust its security if saying something I wouldn't want to be caught for in a Middle Eastern country or China, for example
    Fast - Never found other apps slow, but ok
    Backup and Restore options - Ok
    international free - Most cross platform apps are
    Good selection of emotion faces - Ok, I guess, don't know anyone who uses those extensively
    Simple UI - Ok, I guess
    BBM connected apps - Big plus

All in all, would you really go through the list above and count all of those reasons as to why to pay monthly for BBM if it was offered on another platform? I wouldn't. Id laugh at how they expect to charge you for something that doesn't offer voice and video as most other apps do, wouldn't you?
    As Crissy Said BBM offers a lot.

BBM offers a bit more anonymity, once I delete someone from BBM and Block them, they need to buy a New BlackBerry to re add me, they can't just create a new account, and once I switch Blackberry's there is no way unless I publish my PIN for them to re add me.

BBM's UI is clean and simple with multiple options,
    BBM uses less data than any other IM client as it is designed with data conservation in mind, it auto compresses images and gives you the ability to download the higher rez one, voicenotes are very very small, you've got Profile pictures again heavily compressed and status notifications are controllable as to how much you want to see.

Group Chat offers shared calendars, shared lists, multiple chats, notifications can again be shut off or activated.

Video Chat is pointless on current RIM phones because they don't have FFC's, as for Free Voice calls, RIM offers MVS to Enterprise users, but they don't have a consumer product, and people developing for consumer products can't see how to make money with the RIM consumer products.
    This is a great post thanks, this is obviously a huge plus, not having to give out your phone number, and its very valuable for your privacy I guess. Im sure thats important to some people, frankly the only people who have my number are people I want to talk to but I can see this as a big plus for important people or very popular people.
    I didn't realise the compression on BBM was a lot better than on other apps, would make more sense then as I trade loads of pics and vids with my wife through the day.

I still can't really imagine people on other platforms casting envious glances at BlackBerry users for BBM or willing to pay for BBM on other platforms though, when apps like Viber and Skype are free, can you?
    03-23-12 01:49 PM
    Look, just watch the "Night Bikes" commercial. Jake and Ben are really cool. They're not dicking around with some "whasapp" messenger on buggy android devices. They're using BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) on world class BlackBerry Bold smartphones. That's why the night bike ride is a success.
    03-23-12 04:13 PM
    Another reason I like it is because if someone has a BlackBerry you know they have BBM. To use Live Profile I had to tell my friends and family and send them the link and hope they download it.

I really just prefer native apps in all platforms because those apps seem to just work better with the OS and have better integration.
    03-23-12 04:21 PM
    I think that you are looking at this the wrong way, you are assuming that it is just the BBM application that people will be paying for, it isn't. With them pushing BBM connected apps, it has become a platform not just a simple app. With the apps that we have now that are BBM connected, imagine the android apps that could be BBM connected.

I guess that best way of describing it is, what the messages app in BB OS is for email and how every app seems to be integrated into it, BBM can be that for IM.

For me, what makes BBM great:
    1 - Always on, I hate having to remember to log in.
    2 - Broadcasts - this is both a pro and a con. Like all good tools, some people just abuse it.
    3 - Group chats, with shared calenders, lists, a pictures folder
    4 - It comes installed on every BB, you have to actively delete it for it not to be there.
    5 - The ease of adding someone and the different options.
    6 - The fact that they use a pin as the reference for contacts and not an email address or a phone number. This is actually very important to me. Unless I give people my number or email address, all they have is my pin and that is it.
    7 - It does not take it upon itself to scan my contacts list to see who else has BBM and automagically add them.
    8 - Pin Messages
    9 - The fact that you can accept or reject or even block invitations from anyone and if you change your mind, you can unblock them.
    Chrisy, bobauckland and Spencerdl like this.
    03-23-12 05:56 PM
    I think that you are looking at this the wrong way, you are assuming that it is just the BBM application that people will be paying for, it isn't. With them pushing BBM connected apps, it has become a platform not just a simple app. With the apps that we have now that are BBM connected, imagine the android apps that could be BBM connected.

I guess that best way of describing it is, what the messages app in BB OS is for email and how every app seems to be integrated into it, BBM can be that for IM.

For me, what makes BBM great:
    1 - Always on, I hate having to remember to log in.
    2 - Broadcasts - this is both a pro and a con. Like all good tools, some people just abuse it.
    3 - Group chats, with shared calenders, lists, a pictures folder
    4 - It comes installed on every BB, you have to actively delete it for it not to be there.
    5 - The ease of adding someone and the different options.
    6 - The fact that they use a pin as the reference for contacts and not an email address or a phone number. This is actually very important to me. Unless I give people my number or email address, all they have is my pin and that is it.
    7 - It does not take it upon itself to scan my contacts list to see who else has BBM and automagically add them.
    8 - Pin Messages
    9 - The fact that you can accept or reject or even block invitations from anyone and if you change your mind, you can unblock them.
    Good point, the BBM connected apps would make things very interesting.
    Whats special about a pin message?
    03-23-12 06:25 PM
    Whatsapp need telephone numbers to connect people oppose to a pin. (I have seen who has whatapp through my BB's contacts so I'm sure that's correct).

Also people are more likely to give someone their BBM pins over telephone numbers for whatsapp.

Plus most of the other posts above.

I'm always BBM'in
    03-23-12 06:53 PM
    For me it comes down to D&R. I know instantly whether to quietly resent my girlfriend for not writing back to me or not.
    03-23-12 09:17 PM
    LOL! Agreed. I quiently resent many a message read but not replied.
    03-23-12 09:25 PM

Got it right there...

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-23-12 09:29 PM
    The thing with bbm and it's competitors is that they never get it right or its popularity wanes and they just come back to bbm, it's like a brotherhood.
    Because all the things bbm does others maybe get a few of them right but never all. Other options maybe do bits and pieces of what bbm does. But bbm just does it all in a nice neat package and it's already there you don't have to convince them to download it because it's already there.

Also on a side note if your single its by far the easiest way to connect with someone or start talking to them and should that person turn crazy its easy as can be to just delete and block

Also not to mention its quick as he'll. I need an instant answer, bam right into the appropriate fire away and I'll get a response quickly and I'll know they are typing. couple of quick pings to get their attention
    It's private secure, baked right into the os, easy on the battery. How they tout the ease it is to post something straight to Facebook or twitter because it's all connected almost every app is connected to bbm so it's easy to share what your doing from that app from pictures to calendars. Bbm groups are a whole other beast on its own. I'm a baseball coach so managing my team and setting up practice and games are a breeze. Because I can get the teams input in a group chat, post pictures of uniforms and put in appointments for practices into the group calendar that automatically show up inside every other group members native calendars

It works smoothly . And the status updates just knowing what everyone is up to. It sorta of its own twitter feed in the sense its always updating. I can't think of anything else but bbm is best experienced. When you have 20 or more people or a group of people who are active in bbm
    Last edited by jayemmbee; 03-24-12 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Additions
    bobauckland likes this.
    03-24-12 12:01 AM

My advice is to add some people to your BBM or join a few groups ( http://forums.crackberry.com/social-...e-sharing-f51/ ), try some BBM connect apps and then think about what it has to offer.
    bobauckland likes this.
    03-24-12 12:19 AM
    Good point, the BBM connected apps would make things very interesting.
    Whats special about a pin message?

It is special because you can contact someone via a pin message if you don't have them on your contact list. Name one IM that allows that.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-24-12 06:48 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD