Okay, so I'm heading to Cancun today for a week and still have not been able to get a straight answer from att or anyone on google. So I finally dicided to go to the experts, crackberry users! My question is this, I have an 8820 with unlimitted data plan. While I'm I mexico is blackberry messenger still free or will I get charged as if it were a text?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 06:46 AM
    You will get charged roaming fees for data, which is probably expensive as heck.

09-14-09 06:54 AM
    Radius is correct. BB messenger uses only data. Mexico is usually very expensive for any cell phone use.

09-14-09 07:06 AM
    That is actually my predicament as well, when I go to Asia my home country and my BB plan is here in the mid east it would be expensive as **** as I asked.
    09-14-09 07:24 AM
    That is actually my predicament as well, when I go to Asia my home country and my BB plan is here in the mid east it would be expensive as **** as I asked.
    I am on the mobile forum so I can't see your device, but Wi-Fi could help your situation at least somewhat.

09-14-09 08:39 AM
    From experience, I used BBM for 2 weeks abroad, my bill was about 4x the amount I normally paid for. It was painful.

Don't do it! Switch your bb off lol.
    09-14-09 08:47 AM
    ^ LOL that happened to me too...can't withstand paying $700 for a bill which is normally $89!
    09-14-09 09:17 AM
    Sorry Cakes the convo was just too good.
    09-14-09 09:21 AM
    AT&T certainly has some kind of package for international roaming which includes data. VZW's has a "global email" for BB. Essentially a global version of BIS, $65/mo. Unlimited data. I just used it in Japan for three straight weeks, good stuff. Does AT&T not have that option?

09-14-09 09:57 AM
    If you are using BBM 5 you can track your data use.

Open bbm, hit menu key and select options then hit menu key again and this time select 'about blackberry messenger' scroll down and you will see the usage for both incoming and outgoing bbm data. The counter can also be reset to zero at any time.

If you wish to use BBM only whilst abroad then delete your email accounts for the duration of your trip and reinstate them upon return. Resist using internet and applicaions also which will all help to keep data use to a minimum.

09-14-09 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD