Hi, I'm currently using Bold 9700 with Data plan. I will be traveling soon and no bb service is provided there & I refuse to get roaming! therefore my data plan remain off . Is it possible to get BBM and all other bb apps to work over wifi only, with my data plan switched off?? I've looked around and many say its not possible to get bbm and majority of other apps to work over WIFI. However most of them don't have a data plan to start with. Does it make a difference whether my data plan is active or not?

Thanks!
    09-07-10 08:49 PM
    I believe if you have a data plan, you can use WiFi for BBM. I usually turn off my network connections when I have a WiFi signal and it works fine.
    09-07-10 08:52 PM
    No data plan = no BIS = no BBM

BBM is all routed through RIM's servers. No BIS plan means no access.

There are only a few tiny exceptions. Telus for example has had a "Social Plan" and a "Student Plan" that were essentially the same. Both featured no email or web access, but allowed BBM, WLM, and Facebook.

I believe if you have a data plan, you can use WiFi for BBM. I usually turn off my network connections when I have a WiFi signal and it works fine.
    You don't have to do this. If your Browser is set to Internet Browser, it automatically defaults to WiFi when available.

You can measure this if you want. From App World grab the free app e-office Mobile Data Alerter. it tracks your wireless, WiFi, and roaming data usage.
    WARNING: Current version of MDA causes your reboots to take 8-9 minutes. This will be resolved in update coming soon.
    09-07-10 09:23 PM
    But you still have a data plan. You wifi symbol is white right?
    09-07-10 09:35 PM
    No data plan = no BIS = no BBM

You don't have to do this. If your Browser is set to Internet Browser, it automatically defaults to WiFi when available.
    I do it because I don't need it to be one when I have WiFi access. I have UMA so I just turn it off to save battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 09:54 PM
    i tried only turning wifi on and BBM worked....how come?

I live in Dubai
    09-07-10 10:16 PM
    i tried only turning wifi on and BBM worked....how come?

I live in Dubai
    No not the same thing as the OP. You subscribe to a data plan so you have BBM service. This is the same thing that Karmaloop is doing. See my next answer below.

09-08-10 03:20 AM
    I do it because I don't need it to be one when I have WiFi access. I have UMA so I just turn it off to save battery.
    Okay UMA is one thing I'm not so familiar with.
    For the average user, there's no point in turning off wireless just because you have WiFi available. As I said, your device uses WiFi if available before using the wireless network. And without UMA, all you're actually doing is turning your phone service off.

Do you still get simultaneous voice & data using the phone on UMA with wireless switched off? Do you still receive SMS this way?

Have you actually checked the difference in battery consumption? If you have an app like MeterBerry you can measure battery consumption per hour, trying a few days with and without wireless network turned on.

I'm curious, but none of this changes the OP's situation. Without a plan that includes BBM service, you will NOT have access to that even with WiFi.

09-08-10 03:30 AM
    elite bud, the OP has a data plan. It will work fine.
    09-08-10 04:47 AM
    Okay UMA is one thing I'm not so familiar with.
    For the average user, there's no point in turning off wireless just because you have WiFi available. As I said, your device uses WiFi if available before using the wireless network. And without UMA, all you're actually doing is turning your phone service off.

Do you still get simultaneous voice & data using the phone on UMA with wireless switched off? Do you still receive SMS this way?

Have you actually checked the difference in battery consumption? If you have an app like MeterBerry you can measure battery consumption per hour, trying a few days with and without wireless network turned on.

I'm curious, but none of this changes the OP's situation. Without a plan that includes BBM service, you will NOT have access to that even with WiFi.

Yes, I still get voice and data simultaneously and I also get push email. I think it's because I leave data on but I turn off my network connections. Not sure if this affects the OP or not. I haven't tested it out but I can keep track for you if you'd like.
    09-08-10 09:27 AM
    elite bud, the OP has a data plan. It will work fine.
    No he said he was going to switch his data plan off, not just turn off his wireless connections.

Unless he meant that and just used the wrong terminology�

What about it OP? Were you going to suspend/cancel your data plan with your carrier, or did you just mean turn off your wireless connections on your device?

09-08-10 10:16 AM
    Yes, I still get voice and data simultaneously and I also get push email. I think it's because I leave data on but I turn off my network connections. Not sure if this affects the OP or not. I haven't tested it out but I can keep track for you if you'd like.
    Ok thanks�
    Naw I don't need to know; I was just curious.
    I was suggesting for you to keep track of it to see if your battery "savings" are worth the hassle of turning off & on your wireless connections all the time. Guessing it's not a major difference if you're connected to WiFi anyway, but who knows with these crazy 'Berries?!?

09-08-10 10:20 AM
    Yeah, I don't really mind. It takes two clicks to turn it off and two clicks to turn it back on. Thanks for the heads up though, I guess I should keep track.
    09-08-10 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD