Blackberry messenger sucks. It moves it's way up the application list on it's own, plus the memory leakage is the worst. I will lose 6 mb's in just a few hours. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by hellguy; 10-28-10 at 10:03 AM.
    10-21-10 01:54 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

What are you talking about? The BlackBerry Desktop Manager, or BlackBerry Messenger? Moves its way up the application list, huh? Memory leak, How do you know it's BBM and not one of your other apps?

Please explain more...
    10-21-10 02:03 PM
    BlackBerry Messenger rules!

I can run it all day on my 64 Mb Pearl and it never leaks a bit of memory.

Unless your memory is criticaly low, let the built in memory manager do it's job.
    10-21-10 02:06 PM
    I should have proofread my post. Blackberry messenger is moving up the application list without me ever using it. And I know it's messenger because I will uninstall it and the problem goes away. I love my BB and I am also pretty good with computers. So I am certain that the messenger is the problem.

10-21-10 02:12 PM
    What device are you using? I have BBM on my 9300 in use all day long and don't have any issues.
    10-21-10 02:15 PM
    What application list? If you've uninstalled it and don't use it then what's the problem?

I've never seen or heard of BBM leaking memory, so I find it very hard to believe that you're certain it's BBM.

It would help to list your BB model and it's OS, along with the apps you have installed.
    10-21-10 02:18 PM
    I am on a 9530 with version.328. I currently have quickpull, bbva mobile banking, crackberry, fox news, mobile checkbook, and one extra theme I got from this site. I have been cautious about what apps I run since I lack memory. I would love to use the messenger but I really don't want to do a battery pull every few hours. I used to have it installed and removed it from lack of use. I would like to start using it again but if this is the kind of problem that I am going to have I can do without it.

10-21-10 02:25 PM
    No problems with BBM on my 9530. I would seriously look into your other apps.
    If there was a problem with BBM causing memory leaks we would have see other posts by now. This is the first time hearing someone say its BBM causing the memory loss.
    10-21-10 02:27 PM
    .... and one extra theme I got from this site. ...
    What theme are you running? Themes are one of the biggest causes of memory leaks on a 9530.
    10-21-10 02:29 PM
    So you think it's a conflict with other installed apps? I guess I could try it and see what happens. It couldn't hurt at least.

10-21-10 02:29 PM
    No problems here...closing in on a year and use BBM more than anything else...actually haven't had any memory leaks. Only thing I get once in awhile on BBM is lag from one or more of the 4 groups I am in...which all have 10 plus people in or more.

10-21-10 02:37 PM
    I am using the windows 7 theme from tcox8. I just installed it this morning and the bbm issue has been goong on for a few days. I have removed it and tried different versions for the last few days and always have the same issue. I would like to stare using it again. This is just so frustrating.

10-21-10 02:47 PM
    No problems on my memory. Are you using a leaked OS?
    10-21-10 02:51 PM
    Wow I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone say they hate BBM.
    10-21-10 02:56 PM
    I am on a 9530 with version.328. I currently have quickpull, bbva mobile banking, crackberry, fox news, mobile checkbook, and one extra theme I got from this site. I have been cautious about what apps I run since I lack memory. I would love to use the messenger but I really don't want to do a battery pull every few hours. I used to have it installed and removed it from lack of use. I would like to start using it again but if this is the kind of problem that I am going to have I can do without it.

Do you run out of memory, right down to 0 Mb?

If not, are you experiencing any delays caused by a high priority task that preempts normal multasking (Hourglass)?

How low do you fell you can run your memory? I run in the 5 to 10 Mb range without any problems.
    10-21-10 03:07 PM
    Thank God! I knew I wasn't crazy. Every time I use it I lose 3 -6mbs immediately. I would delete all my 3rd party apps and that's when I knew it was BBM. I had to finally stop using it. Yep, it is true. Once I removed it. All other apps would be ok. I would go from 135 - 127. This happens in less than 1 hour and sometimes sooner.

10-21-10 03:07 PM
    No. No leaked OS. I removed a few apps and a theme I don't need and I will watch it to see what it does.

10-21-10 03:08 PM
    Wow I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone say they hate BBM.
    lol, Kind of like when BIS/BES goes down, it's news worthy.
    10-21-10 03:08 PM
    lol, Kind of like when BIS/BES goes down, it's news worthy.
    lol yea. I still get the outage emails when they happen.
    10-21-10 03:10 PM
    I don't actually hate bbm. I would love to use it. I removed my third party apps, and retried it. I did a battery pull this morning at 6am and had 17.1 mb's. By 715, without using my phone, it had dropped to under 10mb's. So it's obvious that bbm has a memory leak of epic proportions. I guess I need to look for an alternative. Any suggestions?

Lovemyspanish, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this issue.

10-22-10 07:46 AM
    I don't actually hate bbm. I would love to use it. I removed my third party apps, and retried it. I did a battery pull this morning at 6am and had 17.1 mb's. By 715, without using my phone, it had dropped to under 10mb's. So it's obvious that bbm has a memory leak of epic proportions. I guess I need to look for an alternative. Any suggestions?

Lovemyspanish, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this issue.

If you are looking for an alternative IM, you could use GoogleTalk, but remember, it will have to be left on and running all the time to be used so essentially, it will be draining resources, much the same as you say BBM is doing now.

There are a number of apps that you can use, however. None of them though will allow PIN numbers, I don't believe. I think you will have to use email addresses or usernames for all the services, like gtalk, yahoo messenger, trillian, beejive, and a bunch of others I can't even think of right now.

Someone will add to this list for you. Good Luck.

Life sux without BBM.
    10-22-10 10:19 AM
    Have you tried the newest version of BBM? 5.0.1.41 was just released. Might be worth giving it a shot and see if it improves anything.
    10-22-10 12:45 PM
    This is what I would call normal behavior. After the device boots any running apps will consume a block of memory over time. I usually drop as much as 15MB after a reboot and getting my applications back up and running. It's not a leak, it's just reserved memory.

If all you lose is 6MB and that's it then there's no problem. If the drain is constant and eventually reduces it to 0 then it's either another application or you need to upgrade the OS.

10-23-10 08:29 AM
    I normally run my Storm down to about 9MB's before it really slows down. I have removed all third party apps that are less important to me than BB messenger and the issue is still there. I am also having to do a battery pull at least once during the day and sometimes at night if I keep using it. I am going to look into a hybrid OS to see if there are any better options for me.
    10-23-10 09:30 PM
    Thank God! I knew I wasn't crazy. Every time I use it I lose 3 -6mbs immediately. I would delete all my 3rd party apps and that's when I knew it was BBM. I had to finally stop using it. Yep, it is true. Once I removed it. All other apps would be ok. I would go from 135 - 127. This happens in less than 1 hour and sometimes sooner.

If ur app memory is that high, why would u even worry about memory leaks lol :s

10-24-10 01:50 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD