Ok so heres the thing

I have a bb data plan

My wifi used to turn bright white 2 months back, which meant i was connected to BB SERVERS and i could use bbm over wifi. It was perfect

Ive done no changes to my data plan. My wifi does not turn bright white anymore, which means that it is not connected to BB SERVERS, and i cannot use bb over wifi, however my browser works on wifi, which means there is nothing wrong with my router!

So help me get that BRIGHT WIFI ICON AGAIN

Help needed
    BB 8900
    5.0.0.xxx
    11-25-10 01:35 AM
    When the WiFi icon turns bright white - that means that it is connected to a router. WiFi does not connect your blackberry to Blackberry Servers. BIS or BES does that for you.

Your post is slightly confusing because you say that you cannot use WiFi on your phone, but you can use the browser over wifi. Are you sure that your browser isn't using your BIS/BES data? Because if you do not have WiFi connected, your phone will default to BIS/BES.

Sounds to me like it is time to do:

1. Battery Pull
    2. (if a battery pull doesn't work) Delete your Wifi information off of your phone and setup your wifi again on your phone.
    3. If that doesn't work either, reinstall your OS.

Let me restate - unless that Wifi icon is bright white, you are not connected to your wireless.
    11-26-10 02:07 AM
    the white bring indication for wifi is ONLY to show that ur BB SERVERS are connected to wifi, which means your browser,bbm,msn,emails,fbk is working on wifi

the grey wifi indication alongside with the router name shows that your BB WIFI is connected to the router BUT NOT BB SERVERS, which means your browser is working on wifi, but ur bbm,emails,msn,fbk isnt

however i still cant get passed the grey wifi icon
    11-26-10 04:36 AM
    Do you leave you mobile network on when you connect? Check to see if you have connection preference set to mobile ntwk only, mobile ntwk preferred, wifi only or wifi preferred. It should be set to wifi preferred. Does it show that it is trying to connect to the servers in the wifi diagnostics screen?
    11-26-10 05:29 AM
    Have you tried setting it up again?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-10 09:35 AM
    Also, have you tried rebooting your router? Sounds to me like you are not on a secured wireless between your BB and your Router. If there isn't proper security and authentication, BIS won't work.

11-26-10 09:39 AM
    the white bring indication for wifi is ONLY to show that ur BB SERVERS are connected to wifi, which means your browser,bbm,msn,emails,fbk is working on wifi

the grey wifi indication alongside with the router name shows that your BB WIFI is connected to the router BUT NOT BB SERVERS, which means your browser is working on wifi, but ur bbm,emails,msn,fbk isnt

however i still cant get passed the grey wifi icon

The gray wifi indication alongside the router name does not show that your BB is connected to the wifi. It just means that your wifi is turned on and your router is within your wifi range.

For proof, turn on your wifi and go to an area where you have no wifi networks available and you will still see the grey wifi icon.

Just as rcnathan suggested, your browser might actually be connecting through your data plan and not your wifi. If you already did a battery pull, i would also recommend deleting the wifi profile completely and adding it from scratch.
    11-26-10 09:41 AM
    I agree with nathan, if it was working fine and now it isn't reset the router, if you have a N router, disable N and use bixed b/g as well.

I have to reset my linksys once every 2 weeks because my wifi will stop turning white.

11-26-10 09:42 AM
    T-Mobile offers UMA support on that model. If everything is configured correctly, you should see the UMA instead of EDGE. If UMA is not enabled, you should still have a BIS over Wifi connection.

Use the built in Wifi diagnostic to confirm your status:

Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

The first section is your Wifi to router connection. If everything is correct, you will see two green check marks, or you will see an error code under status.

Scroll down to UMA, again you should see two green check marks or an error message under status.
    11-26-10 09:46 AM
    I have had the exact same problem as iffi_amj. I have tried pulling the battery, resetting my router and deleting the wifi profile completely but yet still nothing happens. I went into the phone shop and they said that my phone needed updating but yet still no bright white icon.

What else can i do??
    06-10-11 07:10 PM
    Ok so heres the thing

I have a bb data plan

My wifi used to turn bright white 2 months back, which meant i was connected to BB SERVERS and i could use bbm over wifi. It was perfect

Ive done no changes to my data plan. My wifi does not turn bright white anymore, which means that it is not connected to BB SERVERS, and i cannot use bb over wifi, however my browser works on wifi, which means there is nothing wrong with my router!

So help me get that BRIGHT WIFI ICON AGAIN

Help needed
    BB 8900
    5.0.0.xxx
    Hey, did you manage to fix this? I have the exact same problem on my Curve 3G on OS 6. It did work fine for an earlier build of OS 6 but not anymore
    06-15-11 12:59 AM
    hiya, i went into my service providers shop and they said that i needed to update my phone. you do this with the cd that you got with your blackberry... its really easy to do. it took a while before it was all up and running but it did work !
    good luck !!
    06-22-11 02:33 PM
    i have a strange a problem my wifi works for a while then all of a sudden the phone wint access internet and wont send messages on bbm after tht it comes again and works fine then 2 mins and dont work again
    does anyone knw how to fix this ?
    02-21-13 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD