i know i remember seeing some sort of thread about this but i don't remember it having an outcome. is it possible to use blackberry messenger over wifi?
    12-09-08 10:43 PM
    I don't have a WiFi model, but have a few friends with them and they have been able to use BBM over WiFi
    12-09-08 10:46 PM
    can you ask them how and get back to me?
    12-09-08 11:05 PM
    If I remember right, you need a BB data plan for BBM to work
    12-09-08 11:15 PM
    BBM is not possible without a BB data plan, since the messages are transmitted over their servers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 11:16 PM
    what I was told is this. Some (like Tmobile) allow what is called the "Feature Enabler" added on their account, for free, which will enable some BlackBerry functions that are normally restricted to Data Plans.

They have T-mobile, 8320 and no monthly data plan. They did originally (which gave them the service book and host routing table), but then dropped it. The "feature enabler" is to allow MMS for BlackBerry users without the BIS/BES plans.
    12-10-08 12:07 AM
    ok i have the rogers 6gb data plan but i was just curious if there was any way of using wifi
    12-10-08 11:15 AM
    You can use BBM over Wi-Fi but you still need to have a BB plan.

At my Church I can access the Wi-Fi but have no signal in certain parts and BBM works fine over Wi-Fi.
    12-10-08 11:28 AM
    You can use BBM over Wi-Fi but you still need to have a BB plan.

At my Church I can access the Wi-Fi but have no signal in certain parts and BBM works fine over Wi-Fi.
    +1 I don't have service at work and can send bbm over wifi. And something I didn't think was possible but I also send and receive BIS emails. Why is that cause I thought they are sent over the carriers data? Oh well glad it works tho

12-10-08 11:32 AM
    I turned the radio on my Bold off and turned on the wifi, and my BBM still worked....

I was also able to get not only my BIS emails, but BES as well!!!
    12-10-08 11:45 AM
    I turned the radio on my Bold off and turned on the wifi, and my BBM still worked....

I was also able to get not only my BIS emails, but BES as well!!!
    Yep!

You should be able to get e-mails as well.

Now if we could do VOIP on the Bold we would be set - :P
    12-10-08 11:46 AM
    Now if we could do VOIP on the Bold we would be set - :P
    Wouldn't it be amazing if some genius created a software based sip phone for blackberry?
    I guess it wouldn't be approved on appworld though.. Might as well hope for the invention of telepathic transmission then *sigh*

About the bbm data plan, is it country/carrier based? For example I can't use my bbm in europe because I do not have my blackberry registered there?
    Is there a way of getting a bbm plan without needing a full voice/data plan?

01-21-10 04:18 PM
    My bbm isn't working with wifi and I have a data plan. Help?

02-02-10 06:19 PM
    you need to have the blackberry data plan.. its impossible to work over wifi only..
    02-05-10 11:12 AM
    It is possible to work over WIFI only, as stated here:

BlackBerry services that are available over Wi-Fi connections

"Wi-Fi network and no service provider with GSM/EDGE network or UMA, and no UMA available"

I'm trying this at the moment at it works. Everything that requires internet connection works flawlessly and fast - of course, it's wifi. However, I have my SIM card inserted although I turn off the "mobile network" option.

Here is a nice diagram showing how connections being made:
    Connections that BlackBerry devices make to mobile and Wi-Fi networks

However, in this page, it says something like this:
    Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry devices

Wi-Fi� enabled BlackBerry� devices permit users with qualifying data plans to access BlackBerry services over a mobile network, Wi-Fi network, or both networks simultaneously.

I don't know what that exactly means but I do have data plans (which means my blackberry is registered) but I turn the service off. I'm gonna try this with another SIM card having no blackberry data plan. If it works, that means we don't have to have a blackberry data plan to use BBM and all blackberry internet features. Anyway, I'm using 9700 with O2 UK.
    Last edited by michaeljubel; 05-23-10 at 03:40 PM.
    05-23-10 03:21 PM
    Anyway, here is the priority for connections:
    Priority for connections that BlackBerry devices make over a Wi-Fi network

Priority for connections that BlackBerry devices make over a Wi-Fi network
    Wi-Fi� enabled BlackBerry� devices connect over a Wi-Fi network to the BlackBerry Router or BlackBerry� Infrastructure using the best possible connection or combination of available connections in the following order:

* connection to the BlackBerry� Enterprise Server or BlackBerry MDS Connection Service over a serial, USB, or Bluetooth� connection that uses the BlackBerry� Device Manager
    * connection to the BlackBerry Router from a Wi-Fi network, with or without a VPN connection
    * SSL connection through the Internet to the BlackBerry Infrastructure over a Wi-Fi network
    * connection to the BlackBerry Infrastructure provided by a wireless service provider that uses the GSM� network, EDGE network, or UMA
    05-23-10 03:42 PM
    I tried to use BBM over WiFi with NO sim card inserted -> it does NOT work.

I tried to use BBM over WiFi with a sim card inserted (but with no data plan) -> it does NOT work.

so, VoltaicShock is right. We still need a data plan although it does not neccesarily mean that we have to connect via our operator network. and that explains what it means by "qualifying data plans" mentioned above.
    05-23-10 03:53 PM
    I hope on next OS. RIM more relax, more open.
    so we can use many features without restrictions.
    such as Using BBM and other function without data plan or other restrictions
    05-24-10 07:15 AM
    LOL. best post in the whole thread!..... At least we all know what you're doing at church.

Why even go to church at this point (unless being forced to?)
    05-24-10 09:30 AM
    Wait, what is a feature enabler and what does it do? because It may help me out.
    07-03-10 11:45 PM
    I use BBM Over wifi when im travelling.. in starbucks, hotels, etc. But i do have a data plan as well when im on the go
    07-04-10 06:15 AM
    well i have vzw and happy with the wifi option even though it does suck the battery dry. when i am on the phone with vzw you cannot get access your emails, bbm , internet until you hang up. with wifi i can recieve bbm and emails while on the phone but does drain the battery very very fast so there are def. pros and cons to the wifi.
    07-04-10 07:54 AM
    hi guys&gals,

i have a friend who is currently in Miami at Johnson & Whales University and she has a BOLD 9000. She doesn't have and international carrier as yet and is still on roaming with a local carrier from the Caribbean. She is connected to the wireless @ the University but she isn't able to BBM. Isn't it supposed to work regardless of if you have a data plan or not seeing as how the WiFi allows you to have internet access and the BBM service runs off the internet? Could this be a problem with restrictions on the WiFi connection to students on the network?
    09-01-10 05:12 PM
    Does she have a BlackBerry Data Plan?

You need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan to access BlackBerry Data features even over WiFi.

BBM doesn't "run off the internet". It uses the RIM servers.
    09-01-10 07:03 PM
    Does anyone know what would happen if you stick a sim with a BB data plan (like my rogers 50$ student plan that includes 500mb) into a phone that supports mobile hotspot (im not sure if the hotspot phone will have internet access since its a bb specific plan?) then connect your bb via wifi to the hotspot phone. would you be able to bbm that way?
    02-14-11 09:38 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD