Often times, I see in reviews or posts from posters that BBM is an application that they cannot live without. I question why, since it is simply an IM / messaging application that I can only use with my fellow CrackBerries. However, to be honest with everyone, all my friends are on other devices, and I communicate with them via sms, or some other IM client, like GTalk, Nimbuzz, BeeJive, etc.

Let's also get real and realize that lots of people are jumping onto the i(diot)Phone bandwagon, the Android, etc. and most NEW smartphone users probably don't have the BlackBerry at the top of their list.

So I am interested in hearing from people what is it about BBM that makes it such an important application in their lives? The response, "All my friends and co-workers have BlackBerries" is an acceptable response, I guess?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-09 02:43 PM
    more people have it then your giving credit for.. I personally love bbm and wish everyone had it. Is it something I cant live without I would miss it a ton but if I had to I could live without it but I dont have to live without it.
    12-20-09 02:45 PM
    I like bbm I can live without it since for a brief time I had Android. Many of my friends and co-workers jumped off the Blackberry bandwagon also. I use AIM,MSN, Nimbuzz for my Facebook and Myspace friends. BBM is just simple for people to use who do not use other social networking/instant messaging. But a feature I could live without as much as I love my Bold.
    12-20-09 02:49 PM
    to me BBM is one of the reasons I have a BB.
    first I was against the whole BB thing but then I got to meet BBM.
    I own a BB for about 1 month now and man I have a lot of contact on it!
    its actualy a easy wat to keep in contact with friends and family.
    so to me its important.
    12-20-09 02:51 PM
    The great thing about BBM is the groups, IMO. You can set up a group to chat with your friends and check in to see whats up when you feel like it.
    12-20-09 02:52 PM
    For me it is the fact that it operates on the BlackBerry data network instead of a regular cell network. This is key as a lot of y friends do not live in the U.S. and I travel a lot. So I can communicate with them using BBM whenever I want without having to worry about being charged for it and can even do so over WiFi when I'm abroad and hence have to worry about limited data.

Also, and granted the latest iPhone OS has caught up with this, but being able to send pictures and voice notes from right within the application is awesome. I really like the delivery and read notices and BBM 5 with its MSN/AIM/etc like features is sweet.

Finally, and this may be a bit odd I know, I like the exclusivity of it. Not all of my friends have BlackBerrys, but coincidently all of my best friends do. So it makes it all the easier to weed out people I may not want to talk to as often...
    12-20-09 02:53 PM
    Maybe you need more friends

I personally use BBM way more than text because my core group of people have it as well.

12-20-09 02:54 PM
    to me BBM is one of the reasons I have a BB.
    first I was against the whole BB thing but then I got to meet BBM.
    I own a BB for about 1 month now and man I have a lot of contact on it!
    its actualy a easy wat to keep in contact with friends and family.
    so to me its important.
    Exactly the same here. It never fails, and I've been able to see it happen so many times now as over the past year about 10 of my friends who didn't have them before purchased a BlackBerry. No one understands the BBM craze and are frankly quite annoyed by it UNTIL they get a BlackBerry. Then it all makes sense.

It's hard to explain exactly why, but I talk to my friends who have BBM so much more than I talk to those who don't. And I have an unlimited texting plan, texting is easy enough, but I don't know I just don't really do it.

Also forgot to mention groups, conferences and the ability to broadcast messages to your entire contact list with one click. Makes mass communications so much easier.
    12-20-09 02:58 PM
    BBM is great. I use it for business and personal.
    12-20-09 03:02 PM
    Are you serious?? Have a read about BBM and its core functions on crackberry reviews.
    For me, BBM has now become paramount for our company communication, sharing calendars, real time changes to meetings, constant contact no matter what, you can send virtually anything over it, its privatized, its archivable!! That alone is a big one for us, it stops any chance for sensitive info leaked etc.

Go read about BBM....sorry but man, I don't know how you can just randomly ask that without a little research.

12-20-09 03:02 PM
    My post was directed at BIS users. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said my statement about co-workers/friends. Check your head.

12-20-09 03:12 PM
    Maybe you need more friends

I personally use BBM way more than text because my core group of people have it as well.

Yeah, unfortunately, my friends are all traitors

12-20-09 03:16 PM
    I love BBM. Texting is annoying.... The reason I say that is this, having a data plan already, I find it annoying that I have to pay for another plan for my NON-BLACKBERRY users. Having your BBM contacts in one place and to be able to see there status (available/busy/not available) and to see what music they're playing is a neat little feature. Groups is an added feature that makes it even more desirable. With the added feature of "scanning a barcode", BBM is evolving. I think it's fascinating that with an 8-digit PIN number you can communicate with any blackberry in the world with a data plan. No having to worry about international codes and area codes for your contacts overseas. Just PIN and go...
    12-20-09 03:19 PM
    Often times, I see in reviews or posts from posters that BBM is an application that they cannot live without. I question why, since it is simply an IM / messaging application that I can only use with my fellow CrackBerries. However, to be honest with everyone, all my friends are on other devices, and I communicate with them via sms, or some other IM client, like GTalk, Nimbuzz, BeeJive, etc.

Let's also get real and realize that lots of people are jumping onto the i(diot)Phone bandwagon, the Android, etc. and most NEW smartphone users probably don't have the BlackBerry at the top of their list.

So I am interested in hearing from people what is it about BBM that makes it such an important application in their lives? The response, "All my friends and co-workers have BlackBerries" is an acceptable response, I guess?

I'm with you. I just don't get the point of using a closed messaging system.
    12-20-09 03:19 PM
    Its for psychotics!!!
    12-20-09 03:28 PM
    I just switched from my 3GS to my Bold a couple weeks ago. Honestly, i didn't think BBM was much different than texting and IM programs. The good majority of my high school has a blackberry, and now after only getting like 30ish contacts, i can already see why its better than texting. Its something no one could really explain to me, you gotta try it out yourself. But obviously you have to have friends on it lol

bbm ftw.
    12-20-09 04:35 PM
    My post was directed at BIS users. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said my statement about co-workers/friends. Check your head.

through groups u can share calendars, appointments, files, etc. so it's actually nothing to do with BIS vs BES.

but i like bbm because i can message my friends internationally without any type of extra charge. as a pearl 8100 user, i'm reluctant to install the other im apps (AIM, MSN, etc) due my limited app memory. even installing simple themes lag up my BB.
    12-20-09 04:51 PM
    My favorite feature is the delivery/read confirmation. Knowing that your message got through to the recipient is awesome.
    12-20-09 05:36 PM
    BBM and the legendary push email is why many choose Blackberry over other devices.
    12-20-09 05:45 PM
    BBM and the legendary push email is why many choose Blackberry over other devices.
    Exactly. Those 2 features and in my opinion the best keyboards in the industry are why I choose BlackBerry over Apple or anyone else.
    12-20-09 05:48 PM
    To sum up what all BB lovers/users/abusers feel...**** NO!!! BBM is awesome. Extra PERIOD. .
    12-20-09 05:48 PM
    bbm is the shiznit
    12-20-09 07:08 PM
    what is bbm?
    12-20-09 08:50 PM
    I believe bbm is that serious. Although most can live without it, it just makes communication easier. I know a lot of people that would probably have gone to another platform if bbm didn't exist.
    12-20-09 08:51 PM
    BBM may be the biggest reason I have a blackberry. Absolutly love it.
    12-20-09 08:53 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD